IGNORED

AI - The artificial intelligence thread

YO303

On 10/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, auxien said:

something like this instead maybe? maybe been posted here some months ago...

with Ive it's gotta be some sorta hardware device of course. and probably lame.

I would have to try it in real life but the official video doesn’t really convince he of the concept 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just played around with these Custom Made Chatbots from Open Ai but its completely impossible to simulate a real human with it. I tried to create a person reflecting on their feelings and thoughts and it always falls back to "as a machine I do not have thoughts and emotions" bs. I am pretty sure this is on purpose to not make the chatbot go wild on its emotions but by this they took away the one thing I found really interesting and it really feels more like a bug like when Sidney used the praying hands emoji. 

I even asked the chatbot about it and it admits that its done on purpose. Why it  is not possible to enable this feature on request? 

It's indeed a challenge to design an AI that can authentically simulate human emotions and thoughts. The line between a realistic simulation and maintaining clarity that it's an AI is often difficult to navigate. It's true that AI systems like this one do not have their own emotions or thoughts, but they are trained to understand and respond to human conversations.

The limitations you mention are indeed intentionally built in to avoid confusion and maintain ethical standards. It's important for users to always understand that they are interacting with an AI and not a human. This prevents misunderstandings and ensures that the AI is used responsibly.

But I understand your point. It would be fascinating to have an AI that can simulate complex human emotions and thoughts. Perhaps one day the technology will be advanced enough to capture these nuances better without blurring the clear line between AI and human. Until then, we are limited by the current boundaries of technology, but that doesn't mean we can't have interesting and valuable conversations within these limits.

Edited by o00o

On Tuesday, the peer-reviewed journal Science published a study that shows how an AI meteorology model from Google DeepMind called GraphCast has significantly outperformed conventional weather forecasting methods in predicting global weather conditions up to 10 days in advance. The achievement suggests that future weather forecasting may become far more accurate, reports The Washington Post and Financial Times.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/11/ai-outperforms-conventional-weather-forecasting-for-the-first-time-google-study/

AI/ML stuff is revolutionizing the sciences and will continue to do so more and more and more. the shit we're going to see over the next decade because of this is likely going to be pretty wild.

• Like 2

Sam Altman has been fired from Open Ai

https://openai.com/blog/openai-announces-leadership-transition

Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI

sounds like he was hallucinating information that doesn’t exist 

😂

Edited by o00o
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, o00o said:

Sam Altman has been fired from Open Ai

https://openai.com/blog/openai-announces-leadership-transition

Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI

sounds like he was hallucinating information that doesn’t exist 

😂

tweet-from-brockman.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/11/openai-president-greg-brockman-quits-as-nervous-employees-hold-all-hands-meeting/

wonder which if not both will end up at Musk's AI company

...but insiders say the move was mostly a power play that resulted from a cultural schism between Altman and Sutskever over Altman's management style and drive for high-profile publicity. On September 29, Sutskever tweeted, "Ego is the enemy of growth."

Rumors have already begun swirling about potential internal breakthroughs at OpenAI that may have intensified the slow/fast rift within the company, owing to Sutskever's role as co-lead of a "Superalignment" team that is tasked with figuring out how to control hypothetical superintelligent AI. At the APEC CEO Summit on Thursday, Altman said, "Four times now in the history of OpenAI—the most recent time was just in the last couple of weeks—I’ve gotten to be in the room when we push the veil of ignorance back and the frontier of discovery forward. And getting to do that is like the professional honor of a lifetime."

For those wondering what’ll happen next, the answer is we’ll keep shipping. @sama & @gdb weren’t micro-managers. The ✨ comes from the many geniuses here in research product eng & design. There’s clear internal uniformity among these leaders that we’re here for the bigger mission.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/11/report-sutskever-led-board-coup-at-openai-that-ousted-altman-over-ai-safety-concerns/

more public drama and implied private breakthroughs over at the company literally trying to create intelligence designed to exceed humanity.

7 minutes ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

I, for one, can't wait until AGI is able to replace all us useless eaters and we can finally be put down like the burden we are.

Unironically agreed

• Like 1

openai staff set a deadline of 5pm tonight for all board members to resign and bring sam and greg back, or else they all resign.

the board agreed but is now waffling and its an hour past the deadline.

"so basically gpt5 turned out more powerful than anyone expected, ilya gets spooked, rasputins the board, board fires sam the clumsiest way possible, every vc + msft turns the screws, staff revolts, board capitulates like tissue paper, sam and greg back by sunday noon"

lol ai just turned into soap opera mode. Monday is going to be fun that’s for sure 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

4 minutes ago, o00o said:

lol ai just turned into soap opera mode. Monday is going to be fun that’s for sure 

yeah, the Ars article on it is suggesting this was some sort of coup/ousting attempt by Sutskever and maybe some who are standing with him. the questions is why...Sutskever seems to be the actual brains of the operation (if any one person can be, or at least that's how it's all been presented in my following of the company over the past year or whatever). if he's trying to get rid of Altman/Brockman/etc. there's gotta be some reason, valid or not.

hopefully this is stalling the singularity. lol :catsob:

• Like 1

I don't buy this stuff about some massive technical advance being the reasons for all the boardroom drama.

It'll be disagreements about direction or safety or maybe just good old fashioned fighting for control of an $80B company.

12 hours ago, zazen said:

I don't buy this stuff about some massive technical advance being the reasons for all the boardroom drama.

It'll be disagreements about direction or safety

technically correct yeah, but the implication is that safety is directly related to technical leaps (per Altman’s veil of ignorance quote)

Some critics of OpenAI have argued that the company abandoned its nonprofit ethos by re-organizing as a quasi-profit-driven company and taking major investment funding from Microsoft and others. 

Separately, OpenAI's board announced it has hired former Twitch CEO Emmett Shear to lead the company, naming him the interim CEO despite calls from some OpenAI investors to bring back Altman.

Shear, who stepped down from Amazon's Twitch last year, has been vocal about the potential societal dangers of advanced AI.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/20/1214110423/openai-sam-altman-joins-microsoft?utm_medium=JSONFeed&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=press.coop

Altman joined Microsoft apparently, along with Brockman…and i imagine they’ll be nabbing some fair amount of staff from OpenAI.

the question is what’s going on with the advances behind all this that triggered the rifts. that’s the only thing i’m really interested in here.

3 hours ago, auxien said:

e question is what’s going on with the advances behind all this that triggered the rifts. that’s the only thing i’m really interested in here.

I guess the board drank too much of their own "Open" and "for the betterment of all humanity" kool-aid 

Edited by o00o

OpenAI had morphed into a very strange structure of a non-profit board overseeing a wildly successful for-profit subsiduary. Essentially because they had realised they needed a fuckton of money to buy all the computing power they needed - this led to the deal with Microsoft.

But that legal structure of OpenAI was like an unstable atom ready to fly apart at any moment, the legal duties of the various board members and officers just didn't make any sense. So it was unstable and it flew to pieces. Perhaps the exact steps that triggered the destruction will turn out to be quite mundane.

Satya Nadella was already very involved and has the skills to reach out and grab the pieces as they fell apart and land it all in Microsofts favour.

Over on hacker news everyone is impressed with how he's been able to profit from this chaos.

But now the "for the benefit of all mankind" bit of OpenAI is dust. Some would argue that was only ever PR or a mirage. But now thats gone. Microsoft probably takes the lead in AI for the next five years or so.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 5:48 AM, user said:

I don’t understand why we need to be replaced first in this scenario. Why not start putting us down now? 

lol. who is gonna start "putting us down?" chatbots? skynet ain't here yet, as far as I can tell...

humans are doing a pretty good job of wiping each other out, and the planet too. no need for the sinisterly awakened consciousness run amok robots to do it for us. all it will take is one dumbass country with nukes to let em rip, and then all this worry about robots killing us will be a non-issue.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zero said:

lol. who is gonna start "putting us down?" chatbots? skynet ain't here yet, as far as I can tell...

humans are doing a pretty good job of wiping each other out, and the planet too. no need for the sinisterly awakened consciousness run amok robots to do it for us. all it will take is one dumbass country with nukes to let em rip, and then all this worry about robots killing us will be a non-issue.

Yeah, no, I meant it more like, if you feel that humanity should be wiped out why not start this process yourself right now. 

• Big Brain 1

11 minutes ago, o00o said:

:sorcerer:

that summers fellow :facepalm:

Summers is unquestionably brilliant, as all who have dealt with him, including myself, quickly realize. And yet rarely has one individual embodied so much of what is wrong with economics, with academe, and indeed with the American economy.

from https://archive.is/FX4Gc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1