IGNORED

Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch - Blade Runner 2049

fumi

Soundtrack is released on Thursday.

http://thequietus.com/articles/23328-blade-runner-2049-soundtrack-out-thursday

The soundtrack for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 will be made available via digital retailers this Thursday (October 5) on the same day as the film's UK release.

The tracklist for the soundtrack, composed by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch, will be exclusively revealed during a Facebook live broadcast with the two composers later today. The album concludes with an original song by "a GRAMMY® Award nominee" according to a press release announcing the soundtrack's release.

"First of all, I realised that Denis [Villeneuve] is a director who has a vision; he has a voice," says Zimmer. "Remember, I've done a lot of movies with Ridley Scott. So, it was important that this was an autonomous piece of work. Let’s just be honest. Ridley is a hard act to follow - as is Vangelis. While Ben was four years-old, I had actually experienced all of this. We watched and literally, as we stopped watching, we decided on the palette. We decided this wasn’t going to be an orchestral thing. The story spoke to us."

Wallfisch adds: "We all know what Blade Runner feels like and what that experience is to watch this incredible masterpiece. The first question we asked ourselves was, 'How can we reinvent and make it fresh and new, but still be in that world?' The mission from the beginning was this idea of finding the heart of the film - what is its soul? When you discover the simplest possible theme, it sums up humanity almost. I feel like that's what we were all striving for towards the beginning of the process."

The soundtrack was previously due to be led by Jóhann Jóhannsson, with additional material provided by Zimmer and Wallfisch, but he was removed from the role last month with Zimmer and Wallfisch drafted in to take over. The reason for this has still not been revealed by anybody involved in the film.

“The thing I will say is that making movies is a laboratory. It’s an artistic process. You cannot plan things. Jóhann Jóhannsson is one of my favorite composers alive today. He’s a very strong artist,” Villeneuve told Al Arabiya English. “But the movie needed something different, and I needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis. Jóhan and I decided that I will need to go in another direction — that’s what I will say. I hope I have the chance to work with him again because I think he’s really a fantastic composer.”

I dunno why I think this, no real reason to, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of this soundtrack is going to simply be reinterpretations of the original Vangelis music. I hope I'm wrong.

Official Track Listing from Pitchfork.

Blade Runner 2049 hits theaters October 6. Today, the original soundtrack has been officially announced. It arrives October 5 via Alcon Sleeping Giant Records, and will feature original pieces from Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch’s score, as well as songs by Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, and Lauren Daigle. The composers took over scoring duties from Jóhann Jóhannsson. 2049 director Denis Villeneuve recently explained Jóhann’s departure from the project. In an interview with Al Arabiya, Villeneuve praised Jóhann as “a very strong artist,” but said, “I needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis. Jóhann and I decided that I will need to go in another direction.” Read the full interview here; find the Blade Runner 2049 OST tracklist and cover art below.

Blade Runner 2049 OST:

01 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “2049”
02 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Sapper’s Tree”
03 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Flight to LAPD”
04 Frank Sinatra: “Summer Wind”
05 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Rain”
06 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Wallace”
07 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Memory”
08 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Mesa”
09 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Orphanage”
10 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Furnace”
11 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Someone Lived to This”
12 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Joi”
13 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Pilot”
14 Elvis Presley: “Suspicious Minds”
15 Elvis Presley: “Can’t Help Falling in Love”
16 Frank Sinatra: “One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)”
17 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Hijack”
18 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “That’s Why We Believe”
19 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Here Eyes Were Gren”
20 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Sea Wall”
21 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “All the Best Memories Are Hers”
22 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Tears in the Rain”
23 Hans Zimmer / Benjamin Wallfisch: “Blade Runner”
24 Lauren Daigle: “Almost Human”

Or is it just the rule now that all film music negeds to be done by hans zimmer..

Nailed it.

Exactly. I think for many directors, he's just the 'go-to-soundtrack-guy' regardless of whether his style suits the film or not.

In any case, we'll know by Thursday.

Most of this is pretty uninspired. It just sounds like Hans Zimmer. Yeah, there's some CS80 and lots of sampled sounds from the original (to make it all feel like Blade Runner). There is very little variety on the album, for me. Just Zimmer running through all the Blade Runner tropes over and over again.

The most outstanding piece on here is towards the end 'Tears In Rain', yes, just a remix of the Vangelis track. Slog through this album and when you hear that track, you realise that Zimmer just isn't in the same league as a composer. Blade Runner 2049 is lame even by his standards.

The incidental stuff by Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley fit okay but the closing piece on the album is just some modern-day piece of radio-fluff that is just the icing on a polished turd.

Most of this is pretty uninspired. It just sounds like Hans Zimmer. Yeah, there's some CS80 and lots of sampled sounds from the original (to make it all feel like Blade Runner). There is very little variety on the album, for me. Just Zimmer running through all the Blade Runner tropes over and over again.

The most outstanding piece on here is towards the end 'Tears In Rain', yes, just a remix of the Vangelis track. Slog through this album and when you hear that track, you realise that Zimmer just isn't in the same league as a composer. Blade Runner 2049 is lame even by his standards.

The incidental stuff by Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley fit okay but the closing piece on the album is just some modern-day piece of radio-fluff that is just the icing on a polished turd.

no Junkie XL remix? lol

no Junkie XL remix? lol

Can anyone honestly tell me that this needed to be on the closing credits?

Zimmer has been incredible since Intestellar !

I think you're going to be disappointed. Interstellar is a much better work - even though it's just ripping off Phillip Glass.

no Junkie XL remix? lol

oh god

no Junkie XL remix? lol

oh god

oh god indeed

havent' seen the movie but i guess that ae newbound (feels dystopian, melancholic and open space), would be perfect on the end credits, if they'd had any balls ...or jnsn code gl16 if they'd wanted something still melancholic but to leave room for optimistic views

we need another kubrick

Archived