IGNORED

Brian Eno - Music for Installations

fumi

Brian Eno has announced details of a new box set called Music For Installations.

The box set will be comprised of new, rare and previously unreleased tracks, all of which will be made available on vinyl for the first time. The release shifts the focus to Eno's visual experiments with light and video via works which have been exhibited around the world at locations such as the Venice Biennale, the Marble Palace in St. Petersburg and the Sydney Opera House.

All of the material featured within the box set was recorded by Eno for use in his various installations between 1986 and the present. The box set has been designed by Eno and long-time collaborator Nick Robertson, and comes with a 64-page booklet featuring rare and unseen exhibition photographs and a new essay written by Eno.

Music For Installations will be released on May 4 via UMC. It will be available in a 9xLP deluxe edition vinyl set, 6xCD standard edition set and 6xCD deluxe limited edition numbered set featuring 64-page Plexiglass cover book.

81HMxCWR8WL._SL1500_.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://umc.lnk.to/MFI-SuperDeluxeUM

Very expensive :S

Maybe I'll get the CD set if the price lowers or something, I really love the installation pieces he does (especially I Dormienti, if you haven't heard it yet pls do) and I'd be especially interested to listen to the unreleased stuff for sure

There's actually very little on there that hasn't been released already. I'd only want Disc 1 and 6. The rest I've had for years.

In all honesty, it's a disappointing release (so heavily weighted towards the 2000's - when his installation stuff was (mostly) rubbish, IMO.

There's literally one track on the whole thing from his 1980s output - arguably his best decade for installation music. Where is the Quiet Club stuff? 

Not to mention this:

Goto 27:48

i cant see the prices :(

Only the super deluxe edition has been priced so far: £341. For Six cds. Three of which are supposedly rare but go for about a fiver each on eBay.

Only the super deluxe edition has been priced so far: £341. For Six cds. Three of which are supposedly rare but go for about a fiver each on eBay.

Ah, see above.

Standard CD Edition - £52.99

Standard LP Edition - £152.99

Deluxe CD Edition - £329.99

That's obscene, especially as none of it is really that rare. Only the contents of discs one and six have never been made commercially available. 

VGQuCyL3_t.jpg

I think Brian needs to go stand in the corner and reflect on his actions. Shameful.

That's obscene, especially as none of it is really that rare. 

I wouldn't say that's fair - I Dormenti, Kite Stories and Lightness are each going for about the price of the standard CD boxset on Discogs at the minute, so if you're after those than it's actually a bargain in comparison.

Actually, what's most frustrating about this is that it isn't remotely complete. Given the second-hand prices of a lot of the installation CDs, this could have been a nice box collecting it all together for people who don't have that cash. But then there's no White Cube, Civic Recovery Centre, Compact Forest Proposal... So for people who haven't got any of it, it still leaves a lot of gaps, while people who picked up those CDs on release will want this box for the previously unreleased stuff. Doesn't really suit either camp.

That's obscene, especially as none of it is really that rare. 

I wouldn't say that's fair - I Dormenti, Kite Stories and Lightness are each going for about the price of the standard CD boxset on Discogs at the minute, so if you're after those than it's actually a bargain in comparison.

Actually, what's most frustrating about this is that it isn't remotely complete. Given the second-hand prices of a lot of the installation CDs, this could have been a nice box collecting it all together for people who don't have that cash. But then there's no White Cube, Civic Recovery Centre, Compact Forest Proposal... So for people who haven't got any of it, it still leaves a lot of gaps, while people who picked up those CDs on release will want this box for the previously unreleased stuff. Doesn't really suit either camp.

Yeah, it's a missed opportunity, for sure. So many gaps and great stuff missing. I wonder if he actually even had any hand in any of this?

It seems woeful for those looking to complete their collections.

https://umc.lnk.to/MFI-SuperDeluxeUM

Very expensive :S

Maybe I'll get the CD set from Recordstore if the price lowers or something, I really love the installation pieces he does (especially I Dormienti, if you haven't heard it yet pls do) and I'd be especially interested to listen to the unreleased stuff for sure

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEu0kuoKEQ

thanks for sharing that, hadn't heard it before

Music for White Cube's sales history on Discogs is between £185 and £240. 

Goodness me. It's not even that good. I think he lost his way during the 2000's, all that koan stuff put me to sleep. Maybe that was his intention. Personally, I think his strongest installation works are stuff he wrote during the 80s, Thursday Afternoon, Mistaken Medieval Memories of Manhattan, The Quiet Club (never released), Five Paintings, Contemporary Data Lounge, Crystals, Another Room, Interactions.

A really complete box set would probably run to maybe twelve or fifteen discs. Maybe that's not an economical option for the record company.

another day on earth was great. a high point of 00s eno

I'm just referring to his instrumental stuff for installations and galleries etc.

Archived