IGNORED

Ireland/UK Bicycle Tour

job

Hey there WATTM,

I'm going to be landing in Dublin this Sunday and plan to spend a month cycling around Ireland and the UK. So far all I really have planned to visit is Bron-Yr-Aur where Led Zeppelin spent some time. I'd be interested in any other suggested areas to visit along the way. Any musical landmarks are of particular interest.

Thank you for your attention. Bye

post-6990-0-21794800-1526938430_thumb.png

post-6990-0-22600000-1526938434_thumb.png

cool, keep us posted 

I must, one day do a cycling trip down the whole west coast of Ireland finishing at the Ring of Kerry, then take a boat over to Skellig Michael. I've been told by people I trust that the Atlantic coast of Ireland is extraordinary.

Ace, good luck.

Check out Rushup Edge if you pass through the Peak District.

Hey perfect! I'd love to see landmarks with images or names used in electronic music so this is what I'm looking for. One of the first places that came to mind was Porteath Harbour but it is a bit out of the way. I would be pretty neat to just sit down somewhere in the town tho and give the song a listen. Hmm St. Michael's Mount is nearby....

Edit: Also if anyone happens to live along that route and has a spot to camp I'd be happy to plop my tent down for a night.

Sick! How long do you expect this to take?

The route is about 2200 km and I'll be there for 29 days. I feel I'm a bit out of biking shape so I set my goal around 80km a day. The rail system looks pretty great there so I feel I can make route changes pretty much on the fly.

Hey perfect! I'd love to see landmarks with images or names used in electronic music so this is what I'm looking for.

I have been compiling names of places used in electronic music as part of my zine project.  I started off across the UK but extended it to worldwide now, easily in the hundreds already :)

And you obviously need to sit and listen to Orbital - Belfast, whilst sat at the riverside watching the sunrise :)

Ace, good luck.

Check out Rushup Edge if you pass through the Peak District.

By chance I drove there this weekend, almost swerved off the road when it came up on the sat nav.

Hey perfect! I'd love to see landmarks with images or names used in electronic music so this is what I'm looking for.

I have been compiling names of places used in electronic music as part of my zine project.  I started off across the UK but extended it to worldwide now, easily in the hundreds already :)

And you obviously need to sit and listen to Orbital - Belfast, whilst sat at the riverside watching the sunrise :)

You know I haven't really ever listened to a lot of Orbital, but these bike trips are ideal times to discover new music. They did "Halycon and On and On", remember that from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack :D

https://www.openear.ie/

This also looks really good on island off West Cork if timing suited.

Even if dates don't match, and you have some spare time the Island itself (Sherkin) is worth visiting. I used to go there every summer as a kid :cool:

But the festival also sounds great - heard so many good things, this will be it's 3rd year running and it hasn't gotten too big for itself...yet

Speaking of Islands - if you have time the Aran Islands, spesifically Inis Mór, is also definatley worth visiting, beautiful barren landscapes and some sweet ancient Irish sites

Maybe I'll go along the coast like you guys are suggesting. The rail system over there looks great so perhaps if I'm running late I can make it to Scotland and take a train south. I hope the coast lines aren't too windy. I live in St. John's Newfoundland and we get blasted by the wind quite often.

M2k0Md4.jpg

The more I read and talk to people the more I think I'll just aim to do that Wild Atlantic Way route. I may not even get into the UK but that can always be another tour :D

Register on https://www.warmshowers.org/ for offers of a shower, night's kip and free bike maintenance on your route. 

Are you camping all the way? I wouldn't bother planning out such a stringent route, see where the day takes you my san. 

I am currently living in Oxford if you make it here then you are more than welcome to stay. 

I'd stay in Ireland, your Scotland route will be very busy in comparison and not as scenic. If you do make it to Scotland, get on a train to Ayr then cycle to Ardrossan to go to Isle of Arran then another ferry to Cambeltown which is on a peninsula the remoteness of this part of Scotland leads to some very eccentric locals living there, then cycle north to get the ferry to Jura and Islay. If you want a more IDM inspired route, ferry from Oban to South Uist then cycle to Benbecula where IDM folklore awaits. 

At this rate I think I'll be touring just Ireland. Trying to push 100km days won't give me alot of time to enjoy the areas and relax.

So far I've gone from Dublin to Rescross to Adamstown and am currently in Waterford where I'll head a bit more west. I've been using warmshowers hosts every night so far. Great site, used it on my Canada four years ago. There are quite a few hosts here so I'm thinking I won't have to wild camp as often as previously.

Hey there WATTM,

I'm going to be landing in Dublin this Sunday and plan to spend a month cycling around Ireland and the UK. So far all I really have planned to visit is Bron-Yr-Aur where Led Zeppelin spent some time. I'd be interested in any other suggested areas to visit along the way. Any musical landmarks are of particular interest.

Thank you for your attention. Bye

attachicon.gif33041405_10160295434175403_780209654318759936_n.png

attachicon.gif33196252_10160295434435403_3117659508252344320_n.png

the west coast of Eire is immense, yer in for a real treat, empty beaches & tremendous landscapes + unseasonably warm weather, timing couldnt be better

Steven Stapleton is in Galway-ish, check the NWW webpages, dunno if he'd be expecting guests doe ;)

Newgrange isnt on your route but i'd highly recommend making an exception & checking it out in person, the photos & tourist blurbs never do it justice

https://www.newgrange.com/

Archived