IGNORED

synth racks from ikea

worms

my studio is a mess, really annoying, bought loads of gear recently but dont have room for it all

thinking of getting ikea shoe racks to tidy up my space

anyone know of a better idea?

i have 4 monosynths, a vx600, 808, 909, and some other junk. they're all half the size of a full keyboard

id like to have an angled shelf for 1 or 2 synths on each shelf

Hm that does look interesting but also doesn't look particularly sturdy? I may be missing something structurally, fucking Pinterest is trash but apparently the only place to see this sort of thing from all the googling i'm doing lol. Anyway my second concern looking at the setup is that you're going to be standing in front of whatever wall you have this rack against. May not be a big deal to you depending on how the speakers are placed and how you write/record/etc. (I've seen plenty of those sorts of setups in photos so it's obviously common) but I wouldn't go for it for me. The smaller Stolmen pieces look perhaps a little less....huge? Not sure if you could fit your gear etc. 

The DIY Ikea bits and pieces may also be worth getting creative with, depending on what your needs are, could just buy a bunch of shelves and legs and smaller stands and stack as necessary, I've seen some stuff like that which looked more interesting (and more sturdy). Curious to see what you end up going with, will be redoing a studio room for me when I get moved soon so I'm looking for ideas :)

I can't speak for any other locations, but the closest Ikea to where I live has a room near the registers where you can get the leftover parts from damaged or returned products, display items, etc. and it can be a real goldmine.  Just about every workspace I have is made from the $1 finished MDF cabinet doors and tabletops I've found there (the same material without the waterproof finish on it is about 30-50 for a 4x8 sheet, the Ikea parts are $1-$3 depending on the day for a roughly 2x3 piece and hold up really well).  Great for hardware like handles, legs etc.  You could probably piece together a pretty solid custom rack or shelf from pieces you found in there.

There's also a 4'x4' bin about three feet deep full of metal pieces (bolts, hinges, small handles and knobs, screwdriver tips, washers, whatever) - you can fill up bags with as much as you can stuff in, for $1 per bag.

For the kind of thing you're doing, I'd investigate the knockoff Metro Shelving that Ikea carries:

Ikea-Wire-Shelving-for-Shoes.jpg

On it's own it's not very good and doesn't save you much money (you can buy higher quality stuff of similar design on Amazon for not much more), but the problem isn't that it breaks, the problem is that the shelves aren't as rigid as they are with the higher quality stuf - the wire's a bit on the thin side and you can see how it's just bent over on the ends, rather than being welded to a   So there's a bit of flex and they tend to be wobbly.  But the trick is, you can take some of the remaindered doors or tabletops I was describing above, cut them to size, and attach them to the tops of the wire shelves (get some screws that are just slightly shorter than the thickness of the MDF, put fender washers on them and then screw them into the bottom of the MDF sheets THROUGH THE WIRE so that the washers clamp the MDF and wire together - it's totally reversible if you need to take it apart for a move or something, but it's pretty solid, keeps things like the feet on your synths from getting caught in the wire, and makes it a lot less wobbly (although it's still not quite up there with commercial Metro shelving or a higher end knockoff).  I haven't done it myself, but I see no reason why you couldn't use some blocks of wood or PVC pipe or whatever as spacers to tilt the MDF sheets you were mounting as shelf-tops, too.  There are all kinds of possibilities once you start thinking of the wire shelves as a frame that you build out from.

And they're pretty cheap, cheaper than a lot of the less solid MDF or wood shelves.  In general, I'd avoid anything from Ikea that's made out of wood, the wood they use is usually pretty low quality and tends to warp or break even under normal use, much less if you're modifying it.

I actually scored some real Metro shelving that was being thrown out by a defunct grocery store a couple years ago so I don't really use the Ikea stuff anymore, but it serve me well and it's easier to assemble and looks nicer than the steel shop shelves from Home Depot I've also used (although those work better once you finally get them to actually fit together the way they're supposed to).

Oh, and their metal bed legs, stuff like this (there are a few different varieties) show up pretty regularly for a dollar or two apiece.  They make EXCELLENT headphone racks and would probably be good for cables, too (I use those coat racks that slip onto the top of doors for cables, personally).

capita-leg__32651_PE099369_S4.JPG

TL;DR - Ikea's wire shelving is a good base to build all kinds of stuff, lasts longer than their wooden or MDF stuff, and has a sort of late 70s Berlin industrial-chic thing going on if you care about looks.

I got two Rimforsa tablet stands for verticalizing my synths. It looks like the stands can also be attached to a wall like this https://b2.3ddd.ru/media/cache/sky_gallery_preview_mid_resize_en/model_images/0000/0000/0405/405817.564bc4bac652a.jpeg

They helped clean up the work area of my desk really nicely, and go for around 10 bucks used.

Personally I would not rather be caught alive owning a god damn shelf for synths like some rich old guy. :catnope:

B&Q kick arse 60 quid huge garage shelves

Can't angle the shelving tho can you? I guess you can just add in something on each shelf if you want to of course. 

I did this for my Rytm (and have some rubber things that I use under the feet for grip) and it's been near perfect. Takes up a ton of room behind the machine so that's been an issue occasionally when putting it on shelves without much depth to them, but for the cost is a fair trade off. 

B&Q kick arse 60 quid huge garage shelves

Can't angle the shelving tho can you? I guess you can just add in something on each shelf if you want to of course. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJHy8MTfGc

I did this for my Rytm (and have some rubber things that I use under the feet for grip) and it's been near perfect. Takes up a ton of room behind the machine so that's been an issue occasionally when putting it on shelves without much depth to them, but for the cost is a fair trade off.

Youre right. Cant be angled

I often use rolled up paper/cardboard with some tape wrapped around it to angle machines, plexiglass display things or photoframes with some rubber stuck to them to prevent sliding can work as well. Found 2 display things that are a nice angled elektron stand that allow another (elektron) machine to sit under it with space for the cables to run out the back and everything.  

Also, that gear4music keyboard stand that somebody posted earlier makes a pretty good 2-tiered music desk if you get some wood to make simple shelves on it.

Mine holds a push, bcr2000, blofeld, computer keyboard, mouse and faderfox on the bottom shelf and a 23" monitor, desktop evolver and a modfactor on the second. It does have quite the footprint due to the widely angled legs but I guess that adds stability.

Cheers for the tip. Unfortunately couldn't find the longer iron parts online, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

post-371-0-03261000-1540507424_thumb.jpg

Archived