IGNORED

World music

• 3 weeks later...

When I minored in music history I took a course on popular music from around the world, and one of the first lectures broke down the long, complicated and messy history of the term "world history" that emerged in the 1980s, when the term as it was used by experimental / avant-garde western musicians incorporating non-Western styles and instruments was quickly co-opted as a music industry "genre" and aesthetic, commodified the way 'new age' was. A lot of it is hit on in this video.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, joshuatxuk said:

When I minored in music history I took a course on popular music from around the world, and one of the first lectures broke down the long, complicated and messy history of the term "world history" that emerged in the 1980s, when the term as it was used by experimental / avant-garde western musicians incorporating non-Western styles and instruments was quickly co-opted as a music industry "genre" and aesthetic, commodified the way 'new age' was. A lot of it is hit on in this video.

I was kind of thinking about this and I guess this thread is not about the "world music"- i.e. music made by people who are not from the culture their music is stealing drawing inspiration from but instead authentic music from various locales which I guess is better. So, I posted a couple of tracks that are authentic local music for local people and not primarily sold as exotic music to other cultures.

But coming from a "non-english speaking place" I started to think what I would post here from my country and the idea started to feel stupid. What is my native music? Finnish black metal or IDM or any of the thousand different genres made in here? The thread started to feel like it implicates that the music can be divided into two distinct sets: "our" music and the world music which somehow is not in the same continuum as the music from the anglosphere but is always experienced as the exotic other.

Finally I got too deep into the analysis of world music, cultural influence, sampling, post-colonialism, etc and now I'm questioning my own tastes in music and even possibly how I've made some of my own tracks.

So, I guess I'll fuck off and here's a song from my native land

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, MIXL2 said:

music from peru has been mentioned but I don't think it was the good ol traditional stuff? is v pretty

love me some Peruvian folk... one of their music styles is the Huayno, I posted some in the previous page... :^)
just listen to this, it's the modern Huayno, the psychedelic harp, the deep bass, shit's crazy af...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 3

don't get me wrong but I think the thread title should be changed... what we're posting is not world music (local music from out there)... what we're posting falls under the category of traditional/folk...

GUINE BISSAU

ALGERIA

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 2