IGNORED

A journey through time and space (via the Rephlex CD catalog)

dr lopez
Message added by Joyrex

If you'd like updates on when @dr lopez posts new entries in his series, follow this link and add it to your Activity Feed: https://forum.watmm.com/discover/36/

Hello all,

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. As a braindance nerd and self-styled Rephlex archivist, I'd like to invite any and all to join me in a journey through (almost) all of Rephlex's brilliant and varied catalog. There's so much amazing music to revisit and remember, and for most of us, probably stuff we haven't even heard before! This promises to be fun and I hope our discussions prove engaging.

Some background: I've got a complete "set" of every Rephlex CD ever put out, which currently sits at ~165 individual releases. Small but mighty. As such, I will be proceeding through each and every CD release in the catalog. I understand that leaves out plenty of actual music released on Rephlex, but I don't need every tom dick and larry effin and jeffin about how I'm skipping shit etc. I won't hear it. We can do a vinyl journey after. And if you're a real Rephlex head, you'll know there were CD compilations that collected a lot of the vinyl only tracks. There's even some music only released on CD, for instance the "first" rephlex CD.

So why CDs? Well, when I started collecting Rephlex releases, I didn't have enough money for the vinyl releases as used CDs are much cheaper. I also liked the idea of creating a complete digital archive because at the time most Rephlex music was not available on any digital platforms. This is slowly changing, but there's still plenty that you can't find on spotify, even less on apple music. 

How fast are you going to go and in what order? As fast as is takes me, probably 1-2 releases a week. I'll be taking a week off for Christmas, jesus is lord he is risen. I'll create a thread for each release (finally some fucking content on this sub) and discuss my thoughts and hope others listen and share theirs. As for order I will be following roughly the CAT # in order, as they are generally in chronological order. Then a few adjustments for the weird CAT #s like PEN 15 and CAT 807 etc. I'll try to squeeze those in as they were released. Feel free to yell at me about this. Here is a doc of the list and order.

So that's basically it - mods - please pin this thread and then each one as we move through the catalog. I hope this gets some momentum and that people remember how fucking great rephlex was! (better yet, make me a mod of the rephlex subforum) I'll be starting with The Philosophy of Sound and Machine later today.

Peace - d-lo

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

So would an ability to follow a specific member's content they post be helpful for this (and other situations)?

I guess. Would be more ideal if it could have filters like (user +) "new threads only" tho

Edited by donquixote

4 minutes ago, donquixote said:

I guess. Would be more ideal if it could have filters like (user +) "new threads only" tho

Under Activity, there is an Activity Stream for "Members I Follow" - if you Follow @dr lopez, then content he posts should show up there (and you should be able to tweak it further to only include new posts in this subforum).

Let me try setting one up and see if it works.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

Under Activity, there is an Activity Stream for "Members I Follow" - if you Follow @dr lopez, then content he posts should show up there (and you should be able to tweak it further to only include new posts in this subforum).

Let me try setting one up and see if it works.

I'm sorry if it can be that way. Seems I've got really lazy at clicking stuff on the web these days.

• Joyrex featured this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

LOL yes yes life got in the way. maybe when I have more time and am more settled i'll begin this again. I've fallen a bit out of love with music in general, so perhaps this can get me back on track

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1