IGNORED

Draft 7.30

Guest HWNDarkside

I wish other artists challenged me as much as AE do, specifically with this record.

I'd inject SURRIPERE into my veins if I could.

Agreed. After Exai everything sounded incredibly boring because of how experimental it was. It was unlike anything I had heard before, which a rare sight in times where music is basically like a thrift store and it's like that with most of their releases except maybe Oversteps. Already more exaited for their next release than for anything else.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish other artists challenged me as much as AE do, specifically with this record.

Agreed. After Exai everything sounded incredibly boring because of how experimental it was. It was unlike anything I had heard before, which a rare sight in times where music is basically like a thrift store and it's like that with most of their releases except maybe Oversteps. Already more exaited for their next release than for anything else.

Dudes!! Totally feelin yous. Was talkin with my best friend last night... Autechre has ruined electronic music for me in a way, cause everything else now just sounds so... bland? Nobody goes as hard and deep and consistently next level as the techre. At least 10 years ahead of everything. You gotta think, Draft was 2003. LAST YEAR was 2013 and still nothing that can touch the lushness of this album. Don't even get me started with Exai :tongue:

Dudes!! Totally feelin yous. Was talkin with my best friend last night... Autechre has ruined electronic music for me in a way, cause everything else now just sounds so... bland? Nobody goes as hard and deep and consistently next level as the techre. At least 10 years ahead of everything. You gotta think, Draft was 2003. LAST YEAR was 2013 and still nothing that can touch the lushness of this album. Don't even get me started with Exai :tongue:

I used to think this way, but then started appreciating relatively non-experimental music for a different reason. It's all about context!

Besides, there are plenty of electronic musicians who have innovated as much as Autechre, imo. Perhaps not in exactly the same way, but it's out there!

I used to think this way, but then started appreciating relatively non-experimental music for a different reason. It's all about context!

Besides, there are plenty of electronic musicians who have innovated as much as Autechre, imo. Perhaps not in exactly the same way, but it's out there!

Totally man. Not saying in any way that AE are the be all end all, but, it's just how I feel. Doesn't make it a fact etc.

@modey

Oh yes definitely. I was probably exaggerating a bit much haha :biggrin:

There is tons of great stuff out there, all kinds of nooks and crannies of feelings and moods and zones. I think what I am trying to say is that Autechre hits something in me that I haven't felt with anything else. @NorthernFusion says it right too... Autechre are very challenging and rewarding. Long term listening. Like a wine that gets better with age.

I know what you mean.

Has anyone else noticed the little snippit of some other song (or even just a breakbeat) at the very end of VL AL 5, after the glitching stops and just before P.:NTIL starts? I'm at work so can't check it out but I definitely hear something.

Yeah, it's at the same tempo as the next track, leads right in.

Alright, I knew I wasn't going insane! Can anyone identify the track from this little snippit?!

vlal5snip.mp3

• 1 month later...

Draft is finally starting to open to meeee.. Haha, it took some time. No idea why this has been the hardest album to 'get' for me.

Draft is finally starting to open to meeee.. Haha, it took some time. No idea why this has been the hardest album to 'get' for me.

Same here, about 2 months ago it started to click with me. Been the hardest album for me to get into by a country mile, and once it started to shift particular gears in my brain, I wondered why I found it so difficult in the first place. But of course that's the magic of Ae.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed some great chords going on in the background of VL Al 5, being FAR in the background around 3:30 and then becoming more prominent around 3:41. It's a pretty sparkly sounding synth..

So much love for this track!

This album has always resonated with me in terms of it's algorithmic complexity and sound design. Truly brilliant. =)

• 1 month later...

Same here, about 2 months ago it started to click with me. Been the hardest album for me to get into by a country mile, and once it started to shift particular gears in my brain, I wondered why I found it so difficult in the first place. But of course that's the magic of Ae.

funnily enough I blasted this at work the other day and caught it quite differently. I've always struggled with this album but it sounded really good today. going to crank it again tomorrow.

this is rapidly becoming some of my favorite ae. I've listened to this about 6 times in the last few days. never spent this much time with it without just going to untitled, which is my favorite. fuckin a this is killing me. love it.

Autechre are the masters of the slow-burner, is anyone else is in their league?

Even albums/tracks I really like by them I can pick up and play and they can sound totally different to how I thought I perceived them.

Weird but very, very cool how they manage to do this.

I used to think this was their absolute best album, hands down. But over the past few years, Oversteps has grown to really reveal itself and I'm not so sure that Draft wins so easily.

But really, Draft is amazing. Cohesive and deep beyond compare. Not to mention, funky as fuck.

it really is funky as fuck but it took me a long time to hear it I guess

yes beerwolf buddy, I can't understand how I can hear tracks so differently after time away.

Archived