IGNORED

Analog Four teaser trailer

Guest SecondaryCell

I'm tempted by the octatrack but I'm not sure I'd use it to its full potential. Looks like it'd be really great as an elaborate looping device with deep sound mangling capabilities though.

edit: doesn't help that most of the videos I've seen feature it doing really basic shit with hiphop loops

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a looping device it's probably the most powerful one on the market easily. For everything else its not that impressive imo, it lacks current sampling technology like good time stretching algorithms and transient detection (which kinda makes it weaker than many software samplers and already existing hardware like the vsynth)

as a looping device it's probably the most powerful one on the market easily. For everything else its not that impressive imo, it lacks current sampling technology like good time stretching algorithms and transient detection (which kinda makes it weaker than many software samplers and already existing hardware like the vsynth)

Eh, I don't that's really a fair assessment. Sure, the time stretch blows but it can do things no other sampler, hard or soft, can do, and it wraps them up in a fairly uncluttered UI. The scenes & parts are great too, super convenient way to add variation.

im just stepping into scenes and stuff now.

im also getting a pedestal with my fx and octatrack on it by my seat, and octa wired up to the desk for easy routing. - some midi control of my fireworx will do nicely, thanks. im tempted to buy another (dont have eventide money)

i quite like the nature of sliced samples, they always have a tightness with reverb tails being cut off and stuff like that. cool to toughen up my sound a bit.

also someone told me - make chains of bass music, chains of mid music, chains of high music, etc. and then put that all in the octatrack and go crazy from there. sounds like a solid plan

but it can do things no other sampler, hard or soft, can do

i would be curious to know what those features are, as a midi sequencer with the arp + the parameter locks on so many parameters make it a very powerful machine, but i guess if i wanted to get really tweaked out with samples in realtime id just use reaktor or max/msp, neither one of those have good time stretching algorithms either. In fact i don't even use my vsynth very much to do time stretching because its a pain in the ass to do. My mindset is coming from a very purist and unrealistic point of view, that for me an elektron sampler should have been at least somewhat futuristic in the two areas in which i use sampling the most. for other peoples purposes its probably a great machine that kills many birds with one stone

for me an elektron sampler should have been at least somewhat futuristic in the two areas in which i use sampling the most. for other peoples purposes its probably a great machine that kills many birds with one stone

yeah I think this is what is making me hold back (well, also, I can't afford one right now).

Having said that though, what sweepstakes says about recording 8 simultaneous tracks is pretty interesting, and would introduce a whole new level of interactivity to live performance

yeah thats pretty fucking great, i have a friend who started using it as a looper about a year ago and tells me that nothing comes close for live capture and playback. His only gripe i guess is that it doesn't do actual resample/old school style pitch shifting, im not sure if he figured a way around that yet. For example he wanted to capture in the same device on several different intputs, and then have them start playing back at different harmonized pitches (like a 3rd and 7th up) but not using the pitch shifting algoritthm, . Im pretty sure there is a way to do this, either way the ability to modulate loop points immediatly upon capture with LFOS or parameter locked patterns makes it a hell of a lot more powerful than an Electrix Repeater, which until now was probably the most midi-capable /tweakable looper in my world

he wanted to capture in the same device on several different intputs, and then have them start playing back at different harmonized pitches (like a 3rd and 7th up) but not using the pitch shifting algoritthm

Yes, this is the kind of thing the OT excels at. I was trying to answer your question without sounding like a cop out but it's a weird thing, it's a riddle and it's hard to explain, but if it matches the way you think about sampling it's fantastic. It sounds like it might not in your case because transient detection is pretty important to you, but it might be worth considering.

In my case, the Octatrack's live sampling and playback was seriously like a dream come true - I've wanted something like that since probably 2007 and I was actually making plans to try to implement something like that in software (I wanted to call it "VolaTracker"...heh) because I had 0 hope of anyone ever doing it. And they've packaged it up with a nice interface (that I never would/could have come up with) that you can actually jam on.

These are the main things that frustrate me about the Octatrack, most of which have a pretty reasonable explanation and all of which I can live with:

- The +/- 1 octave pitch range, as it seems your friend is dealing with. You can fake this by resampling but that is a bit annoying to think about and set up.

- You can't easily trigger slices via MIDI, MPC style

- The file management kind of sucks unless you use sample chains

- Time stretch is turned on by default, easy enough to turn off though

- The MIDI sequencer doesn't transmit program changes

- The "plays free" implementation for MIDI tracks is buggy

- The retrigger time parameter is in increments of semitones but it's also tempo-dependent, so if you make melodies with it, it will go out of key when you change the tempo - see the transition in the middle of this for what this sounds like:

The other stuff I can do with it, and more importantly the workflow that ties it all together, more than makes up for all that. When I want more conventional sampling there's tons of options, but they all get boring pretty quickly compared to the Octatrack.

trying to relive your fantasy of being Adam Ant? It's gonna cost you. Emullator II's dont grow on trees you middle aged asshole.

A4, autechre doesnt always now what just happened, stop micromanaging my spiritual experience

- The "plays free" implementation for MIDI tracks is buggy

can you elaborate a bit? i was planning to start using this feature quite a bit.

Sure, basically unquantized triggering doesn't work and you can't use a quantize setting below (I think) 2 steps.

• 2 weeks later...

just picked up an a4 and mkuwmk2+sps++mega++ultra for $1600 w/loads of extras. backed up dudes files wiped them and updated all oses. got overbridge running but not wrapped my head around the whole thing yet. my first true experience w/elektron gear since lusting after an original machine drum like 10 yrs ago. my first experience with synths that require any menu diving. so far (surprisingly to me) it's easier to make heads/tails of the md. the a4 simply has sooooooo many pages per track that it's hard for me to find some of the more basic features. is there really no sine waveshape on the thing? just triangle? have figured out how to make the md receive master tempo from the a4 but not figured out how to make the md automatically play when i hit play on the a4...

anyways just excited. i know i have a lot of studying to do

no shit. was totally an impulse buy because i knew i probably wouldn't find it cheaper. also through in the eit-1 stand, http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=fr&identifier=image&size=normal&module=user&userPhoto_id=239997a pelican case that fits everything, cables to connect everything. an elektron bag and a couple of the pl plastic covers. i asked my fiance and she was like "it's your money" and i was like :yeah: and picked it up the next day

dude told me he wasn't gonna tell people how much he sold everything for but was all "i don't need all this elektron stuff since i don't have anymore elektron." super cool dude

heh, not my bird (or pic) but that's the stand. crazy folds down on top of each other for traveling no need to take out and the back arm is a handle. all metal. solid as fuck. gotta figure out how to use'em tho

Archived