IGNORED

What Cheap Synths Will Be Future Classics?

LimpyLoo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mirage is an old synth. What new one's will people end up calling "classic" in the future?

I still believe the synths being manufactured now just won't have the same classic appeal. People will get nostalgic and still remember some of them fondly, but well made synths won't have that degree of novelty.

The old classics changed music history. These days it's all just more of the same. Different architectures and build quality.

My money's on modular. Some really cool stuff is being made these days, and it drives collectors crazy.

Ensoniq stuff is clunky as hell.

Unless there's a big breakthrough in synth technology/a big shift in the tastes of synth guys, my guess is the only stuff that's going to become expensive is any sort of less popular tech (like the physmod synths you're mentioning), because cute monosynths and affordable VA's is 90% of what is coming out and I think things are going to stay like that for a long while. Hardware samplers are also a good bet because they basically don't make them anymore (but please let me get my Boss SP in time). As for Volcas and the like I'm sure they'll be classics but there's thousands of them!

Aw hell......... I just gave in to the future-hype.

10mn95k.jpg

OH SNAP home skillet, how is it? The demos sounded quite good... Is it fun? Did you cover your body in olive oil and play it naked in the dark like TRON?!?!?!

Hardware samplers are also a good bet because they basically don't make them anymore (but please let me get my Boss SP in time).

yeah, actually maybe chromatic samplers of the early–mid 90s if Korg don't step up to the plate with an update to the microsampler, which, as mentioned earlier in the thread, may be a contender for future classic.

Yeah i would say

emu samplers from the 90s, probably akai ones too, including the s5000 and that which have modern features

i hope ensoniq gear does cause despite the stupid weight, they made some amazing synths. my esq1 shits on a lot of gear and i paid 350$. This digital hybrid stuff is really amazing, can do a lot of super deep stuff my analogs cant. Plus solid electric keys, organs and the like.. Its so deep, interface isnt that bad and looks dope.

I guess a good sign is when all the presets are heard through out many genres..

the elektron monomachines i think will increase in demand, theyre already getting scarce..

interested to see if the dx100 will be affected by the new yamaha babies.

Some of the DSI gear will be, maybe like the evolver or something, maybe one day theyll also look cool.

Wouldnt be suprised with the SP's as mentioned but also the KP3. that sampler is great.

A lot of new gear I cant see being too memorable. Lots of shit, too many companies copying eachother to be competitive in the market, not enough new and exiting things although the modular wold is going off with cool gear that is becoming more and more affordable and easy to get your hands on

My money's on modular. Some really cool stuff is being made these days, and it drives collectors crazy.

yep. ive got a red maths.

talking of makenoise, how goddamn gorgeous is the black shared system. le sigh...

150088_2.jpg

This disconfirms the 'no future classics because of software' hypothesis

maan that wasn't even what I was trying to say

oh sorry didn't mean to straw-man your position

i'll go back and re-read your post in a bit

Aw hell......... I just gave in to the future-hype.

10mn95k.jpg

OH SNAP home skillet, how is it? The demos sounded quite good... Is it fun? Did you cover your body in olive oil and play it naked in the dark like TRON?!?!?!

No, but my son put on his Stormtrooper pj's and had a play because he thought it looked like Star Wars.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Had it for one day so far. Definitely has it's own sound - very punchy and solid/modern sounding. Not so much soft and warm... although you can get some interesting pads going. I see tonnes of potential for making threatening arpeggiated basslines. I like the short travel key bed (some folks don't) but it's a real shame it isn't velocity sensitive as I'm starting to use it for controlling my DAW.

Pros: - Sounds pretty cool once you start working on you own sounds (presets... meh).

- Green lights.

- Scatter mode dial! Does cool and weird things to arps.

- Plug Out tech (plugins you can download into the hardware): Tonnes of future potential. Just trying to decide on the SH-2 or Promars to get as plugouts and download into the synth. Demos for both on YT sounds pretty good to me! Plus all the parameters map (and light up accordingly) between the hardware and Roland plugout in your DAW.

- Quite hands on for someone like me who needs to start learning synthesis.

- Bottom end seems to sit nicely in a mix without having to EQ it too much.

- Effects: Reverb/delay/crusher are all OK. One knob affairs.

- Some dude on the internet has made a simple Editor/Librarian! (take note, Roland).

- Fits on my desk.

Cons: - No velocity

- USB driver: Hmmm... not sure what it happening here, I've got the right one - works OK to update firmware and download patches from the trial System 1 plugin, but I can't get it too function as an audio interface properly. Stutters and couldn't handle any of my projects. Had to go back to plugging audio out/midi into my old Saffire 6 instead. Might be something I'm doing.

- Drivers are not class compliant, so if they ever abandon it... you'll have the last Plugout sounds you loaded, and the System 1 banks.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head. Need to play and read some more.

I had no clue what the Akai Timbre Wolf was, so I looked it up.

Yikes. Any good videos on YT without over half dislikes? It reminds me of Phonatacid.

i could see some talented musicians making some great stuff with that thing

because although it is a very bad, stupid synth

it probably does certain things that other synths can't do as well

but i've never played it so who knows

could you go into more detail? im just getting into this stuff and doing a lot of research / demo watching and listening.

I had no clue what the Akai Timbre Wolf was, so I looked it up.

Yikes. Any good videos on YT without over half dislikes? It reminds me of Phonatacid.

i could see some talented musicians making some great stuff with that thing

because although it is a very bad, stupid synth

it probably does certain things that other synths can't do as well

but i've never played it so who knows

could you go into more detail? im just getting into this stuff and doing a lot of research / demo watching and listening.

What would you like to know, my friend?

Thanks for the write up Haste! Yah- no velocity is a bummer, dyuuude.....

Apparently does velocity through midi, can always hook up a cheap external keyboard I guess.

Apparently does velocity through midi, can always hook up a cheap external keyboard I guess.

Haste, that thing looks sexy.

Also, I think I saw a Namm '15 screenshot of a Jupiter-4 plug-out...

Haste, that thing looks sexy.

Also, I think I saw a Namm '15 screenshot of a Jupiter-4 plug-out...

Wow, really? Are you sure it wasn't the Promars?

oh shit you're right

it was a grainy cell-phone photo and I couldn't make out the model

and damn it looks just like the Jupe-4

p.s. the plug-outs sound amazing so far

the sh-101 sounds spot-fucking-on

fuck, now i want one

good time for synths....i'd love to take a peak 5 years in the future and see what's going on then

anyone think Roland will make a Volca/Reface sorta synth?

I'd love to see some compact Roland gear! The closest is probably the JD-Xi which looks to be the same size as the Microkorg. It sounds pretty nice too imo.

But yeah if they came out with a new small drum machine or something I'd probably get one. But the chances of them doing that and it not being either VA or a dinky analog Volca Beats style thing are slim.

I have a friend who was making dance music in the late 80's/early 90's who hoarded all sorts of cool synths over the years. He doesn't make music anymore, so I'm hoping I might be able to buy some of the better ones off him for cheap. My vast collection of one Microkorg is pretty sad. I have to try really hard to make it sound the least bit interesting. Still, not bad for the price. I don't think it will ever be considered a classic. Most of my "synth" sounds are organic sounds that have been manipulated in whatever DAW I happen to be using.

Archived