IGNORED

Post-show drunken rant

phudoshin

basically the synopsis is 'the music is challenging' , for being noisy/experimental or as this guy calls it 'textural masturbation' it 'doesn't have the beauty of fennesz, or hecker' ok cool. I mean it seems like he's one of those hipstery types of experimental music fans who can only appreciate really challenging sounds from a clinical perspective, like he appreciates what the show was in theory he just didn't enjoy it (not even talking about the really drunk sounding guy). I say hipstery because he just named off a bunch of bands that Pitchfork approves of that are 'experimental', they make very by my estimates pleasant approachable sounding music, its not really experimental in a literal sense for the most part, but what autechre are doing (even though it's dancey) is experimental to a larger degree. Its sort of like we're listening to two people who only Like 20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle and think Second Annual report is a piece of garbage. don't trust em.

edit: to their credit they endorse AE releasing their Live sets for people to buy, which i of course support 100%.

edit2: really wished we got to hear more of the drunk guy, instead i just feel like i'm listening to Anthony Fantano about to go on a shooting spree. [drunk guy was a bit annoying at first, but by the end of this you'll wish his friend would shut the fuck up and just let him roll]

Yeah, you summed up my opinion pretty well. The way he mentions artists whose names he can't even pronounce right is a good demonstration of how pretentious he is. He seems like he's trying to be Fantano or a p4k writer.

The angry guy sounds like he was probably that kid at school who hung out with kids two years younger because he could convince them he was cool by swearing and having facial hair

Definitely.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how it's pretentious and I don't know who Bill Laswell is. The hat was a gift from my grandfather and I like it. It reminds me of my grandparents and Germany, and it also looks good on me.

Edit: I looked up Bill Laswell. None of the things I wear look anything like the things he wears.

^ Says the guy who wore a straw beret to an Autechre show.

i googled straw beret and all the models were women, is this a women's hat?

No, it's a hat that was bought in France by my grandfather when he was young (probably sometime in the '50s), and he used to wear it back when he had hair (which must have been a long time ago considering that my mother doesn't even remember a time when he had hair). The design of the one I wear isn't common, and I haven't seen any others that look like it, including on Google images. It certainly isn't a women's hat, though. I was told by my grandfather that it's a common type of hat in the south of France, where I presume he got it.

Actually it looks a lot like this one

cgc12-main_2.jpg

The one I have is a lot less thickly woven, though, and the pattern isn't circular like the one here. I guess it isn't really a beret, but that's just the most similar comparison I could make.

Hold up Jiminy Cricket... you're busting balls on someone for how they pronounce a an uncommon last name (one that in 2015 mostly appears online as the written word), but you don't know who Bill Laswell is???

I don't know why I'm supposed to be familiar with him. He doesn't seem to be affiliated with any of the music I listen to.

looks like a newspaper boy/golf cap to me

It isn't worn like one, but mine is shaped a bit differently now that I actually compared them. I don't want this to turn into a thread about my hat, though, which it sort of already has.

:biggrin:

Straw berets aside, all of these shenanigans prove the reason I've never been too excited to see Autechre live. They just press buttons in a dark room. Before you shoot me down I know the live sets music wise are awesome but I know the visual aspect is gonna leave me cold. It's probably why I've never bothered.

Now back to straw berets, as its pretty lol

Guest WNS000

My guess is the guys simply just had an experience with a bad sounding venue (or a bad sounding spot on the venue). The textural parts of the set would be challenging even on headphones, let alone a non-treated room. I can't really blame them. Most of the rhythms were buried in mud in Krakow which caused them to make no sense rhythmically/musically at all. Only after listening to other live versions of the set I was able to recognize patterns that were "missing" in Krakow. So if the set was mud like Krakow was I am not really surprised they did not like it.

My guess is the guys simply just had an experience with a bad sounding venue (or a bad sounding spot on the venue). The textural parts of the set would be challenging even on headphones, let alone a non-treated room. I can't really blame them. Most of the rhythms were buried in mud in Krakow which caused them to make no sense rhythmically/musically at all. Only after listening to other live versions of the set I was able to recognize patterns that were "missing" in Krakow. So if the set was mud like Krakow was I am not really surprised they did not like it.

Probably should all just stop being selfish and kill ourselves right?

Guest WNS000

Probably should all just stop being selfish and kill ourselves right?

I don't understand, mate.

Guest WNS000

But they never mention sound quality or the venue - not an issue for them - the abstract level of composition was their problem - perceived lack of hooks, comparisons to previous sets etc

They might have not realized it was a sound quality problem. Some people just don't have a clue and consider everything deliberate (especially with music like Ae's). Many people actually considered sound in Krakow to be great (dunno if they had luck for some magical sweet-spot in the room). And I have been to many horrible sounding concerts in the past that fans commented as "sounding crystal clear". Most of fans (of whatever artist) are reluctant to admit their favourite band sounded like shit. Cheap-Logitech-sub-woofer culture does not help it either. Most of the people I know have absolutely no idea how is music made and that there is more to that than just record instruments "in a studio or whatever". They have no idea there is something to consider about sound. Some people can't even spot a difference in acoustics around them when they go to/from bathroom even if you try to make them aware of that.

Archived