IGNORED

Post-show drunken rant

phudoshin

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah i get you.... good point Jev.

gl0tch... any thoughts? After hearing some of the recorded shows, do you see thing differently?

I think hearing the recorded sets first actually fucked me up. The remaster thead spoiled it for me. I also think the venue was a bit muddy. Cygnus was so fucking warm (maybe because he was using all analog gear?)but autechre just didn't feel as full. So minus that physicality/warmth of sound, coupled by the literal fog/smoke machine and people leaving, and the rest of the people just standing there confused, it culminated in something that was not as fun as Cygnus. He came on and it was early and people were just settling in and I think they wanted to dance. Conversely, Autechre came on and half of the people were like wtf? So that contrast and that differing vibe was contagious. I still think there set is brilliant (especially on headphones), but for some reason my heart wasn't in it for some reason. I should also add that I've seen them every tour since the early 2000's so I think I have an adequate frame of reference. I also think several people who are saying my POV is whack are freshly coming off of there first autechre live show, so there are stars in their eyes. No one is immune to criticism. When people drink, they get goofy, angry, stupid, or philosophical. Guilty as charged. Sorry if having high expectations for my favorite band means I'm pretentious, but frankly I've heard better (at a different venue). Lastly, as for my colloquial references,I was trying to pull from something we've both heard. It's funny because in the grand scheme of things, Fennesz, whatever Hecker, or who ever the fuck are unheard of, but I'm pretentious because they were too readily available (pfm darlings) for a small group of dumb fucks who were somehow wishing I dropped more esoteric refrences, but somehow magically didn't sound pretentious.

OK so simply put, I don't think Trev I r Wishart should ever follow an acid/electro set at a electronic dance venue, but that is basically what we got. Sorry if my pallet wasn't primed. I sould also point out this is the first show that I can remember that had an opener aside from Rob Hall, so I think that contrastdidn't lend itself to the bigger scheme of things. Again, it wasn't my first tube at the rodeo,so I'm not blindly accepting. Maybe the venue just sucked. Whatever. Can we just get a new album so I can get something else to bitch about?

I don't get why so many people are talking about Autechre being best on headphones. Personally, I fucking hate having those things on my head. It's uncomfortable as hell. Autechre sounds pretty great on a good stereo system.

Also, gl0tch, it isn't really who you referenced that bothered me, but the fact that you felt you had to reference people in a situation where it was unnecessary. But I get that you were drunk and not thinking normally, so it's cool. At least you weren't that other guy.

I definitely agree with you on the weird contrast between ae and Cygnus. The beginning of Autechre's set felt really awkward after listening to acid techno and other EDM for over two hours, and I can't imagine how poorly that would have flowed in a bad venue.

I don't get why so many people are talking about Autechre being best on headphones. Personally, I fucking hate having those things on my head. It's uncomfortable as hell. Autechre sounds pretty great on a good stereo system.

Have you ever wear good headphones? AKG K701 or some Sennheisers in the similar price range? I would be surprised if they were uncomfortable for you but I know some people complain about "claustrophobic" feel with headphones on their heads. I have no such issue.

Even expensive stereo system cannot beat good headphones if the room is not treated well. So while Ae indeed sound great on stereo (they do great music after all) they sound much better on great headphones IMO.

Yeah, I have Pioneer Monitor 10 mkii's for all-purpose listening (mostly for monitoring vinyl records that I'm ripping), and some Stax SR-30's for when I'm listening to ambient music on headphones. The Stax have a really incredible sound for ambient stuff, but I still can't stand having them on for longer than an hour at most. It just feels awful to have those things pressing down onto my ears, even if it isn't very tight. My stereo system feels much freer, and sounds just fine in my untreated room.

These guys are full of shit....the one dude almost seems like he enjoyed himself but his nebby Nancy drunk buddy brings him down.....the brooklyn show was incredible...i suspect different sized venues are a factor here...the sub bass was pretty ridiculous and made the main floor sound somewhat muddy so we went to the balcony which balanced everything -it was like listening from a home theater..also they couldn't remember the name of Oversteps/move of ten for about thirty minutes...I remember people not being into those or Exai for whatever reason but in my opinion its their best.

Guest OJCensor

Autechre is headphone music. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that their live gigs are not gonna be a party. Especially in a plain dark room, with some strange introverted people in tow. Sounds hilarious to me though.

Nah, not at all. Untilted tour was probably the best example: that stuff was specifically tuned to ´play' the venu space, but sounded like piddly pops in headphones.

Rant is funny :) Spoiled after the last 2 tours using drum machines. Knowing some of their past laptop sets I knew they sometimes did shows like this, so my expectations were tempered.

I went to a Fennesz live last year, and if it wasn't for the abstract visuals, I might've puked. But everyone was in trace-state mode, so the vibe was receiving and nice. We were all surfing on post-apocalyptic surfboards.

But main point is: I think other people in the venue is something to consider with live shows. This is why techno sets are generally successful- everyone is fucked and wanting to have fun. Now imagine if everyone at the Philly Ae show was having a blast with Cygnus, substances not even peaking, then all of a sudden some dudes come on who start playing sounds that remind you of your dog dying in a spaceship. If everyone was bummed, it's gonna be bad vibez, man.

I feel Ae's work is prime for visuals, so if it really was just black- most people can't take that shit. For some reason, I don't even think I'd enjoy a live set of Ae's new material. I guess I'm like the drunken dude who could maybe more get into late 90's/early 00's Ae for a live. Cuz if I'm gonna go deep, it would suck to be surrounded by vibez that are giving off "what the fuck is this shit?" It's like watching Schindler's List in the cinema, and then when that one red girl comes into frame, some dude in the back is like, "SHOW US YOUR TITS!!!"

Lol maybe I should clarify what I meant by 'headphone music'. I think Autechre are a band suited to solitary immersion, in your own world. Not a big party style band with everyone doing high fives and punching ballons into the air.

The funny chap in the car in his pissed-up state would of been more at home at a hoedown at a barn dance lol. Not really standing in a dark room listening to experimental abstract IDM.

Thats what I meant :cool:

Lol maybe I should clarify what I meant by 'headphone music'. I think Autechre are a band suited to solitary immersion, in your own world. Not a big party style band with everyone doing high fives and punching ballons into the air.

The funny chap in the car in his pissed-up state would of been more at home at a hoedown at a barn dance lol. Not really standing in a dark room listening to experimental abstract IDM.

Thats what I meant :cool:

That's what I assumed, but then everybody else was talking about how much better it sounds on headphones and confusing me.

It just feels awful to have those things pressing down onto my ears, even if it isn't very tight.

Yeah, that is why I use circumaural headphones and not supra-aural. You should try that. It is worth it. No problem with comfort at all. Especially with flexible designs such as K701's. No pressure on head or ears at all (at least on my head).

I would love to try Stax sometimes. Haven't heard electrostatics yet.

My stereo system feels much freer, and sounds just fine in my untreated room.

Yes, people usually say such things unless they heard music in better conditions (provided they care about it).

I believe there is many people missing out lot of stuff in Ae's compositions because they have never heard it on good headphones or in a treated room (I recall a discussion on this forum). There is many things buried in Ae's mixes.

For example Untilted is often characterized as "bass shy". I would not be surprised if that was a definition based on listening in an untreated room where standing waves and nulls on listening position caused this because the album has plenty of bass to offer. But the bass is often so low in the spectrum that most of rooms have problem to translate it to listener's position. So in the end it comes off as "bass shy".

People spent considerable amount of money on their stereo setups only to never hear it with it's full potential. I recall a thread on Gearslutz with a picture of a home-studio. The author showed off his brand-new super-expensive compressor/EQ/don't remember. Yet his room was completely untreated. That was kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I know Autechre said something about their fans having various experiences when listening to one of their albums. They also said in the AAA thread that there is "something for everybody" sound-wise on their live shows (people moving around the room searching for a sweet-spot) and that it is highly subjective. In theory, I agree with it to a certain degree. But at the same time they create these highly dynamic tracks where proper mixing of each track really matters in order to deliver the intended message/emotion/impact. I would be surprised, seeing how serious they are about music and sound, if they truly did not care about how their music sounds on others' systems.

IMO ofc, etc.

You're not going to start on "room nulls" are you, really? lol

elusive04 dupe confirmed

Ha ha, don't worry. I am not going there. I just wanted to give the problem some context.

You're not going to start on "room nulls" are you, really? lol

elusive04 dupe confirmed

Ha ha, don't worry. I am not going there. I just wanted to give the problem some context.

whew, lol had me worried there for a sec.

:emotawesomepm9:

It just feels awful to have those things pressing down onto my ears, even if it isn't very tight.

Yeah, that is why I use circumaural headphones and not supra-aural. You should try that. It is worth it. No problem with comfort at all. Especially with flexible designs such as K701's. No pressure on head or ears at all (at least on my head).

Yes, people usually say such things unless they heard music in better conditions (provided they care about it).

I believe there is many people missing out lot of stuff in Ae's compositions because they have never heard it on good headphones or in a treated room (I recall a discussion on this forum). There is many things buried in Ae's mixes.

For example Untilted is often characterized as "bass shy". I would not be surprised if that was a definition based on listening in an untreated room where standing waves and nulls on listening position caused this because the album has plenty of bass to offer. But the bass is often so low in the spectrum that most of rooms have problem to translate it to listener's position. So in the end it comes off as "bass shy".

People spent considerable amount of money on their stereo setups only to never hear it with it's full potential. I recall a thread on Gearslutz with a picture of a home-studio. The author showed off his brand-new super-expensive compressor/EQ/don't remember. Yet his room was completely untreated. That was kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I know Autechre said something about their fans having various experiences when listening to one of their albums. They also said in the AAA thread that there is "something for everybody" sound-wise on their live shows (people moving around the room searching for a sweet-spot) and that it is highly subjective. In theory, I agree with it to a certain degree. But at the same time they create these highly dynamic tracks where proper mixing of each track really matters in order to deliver the intended message/emotion/impact. I would be surprised, seeing how serious they are about music and sound, if they truly did not care about how their music sounds on others' systems.

IMO ofc, etc.

My Pioneer headphones are circumaural, and they're the less comfortable of the two I have. The Stax are much lighter, which I enjoy. They're obviously very lacking in low frequencies, though. But I'm fine with the way my stereo system sounds, especially since I'm right in front of the speakers whenever I'm using it. I haven't noticed Untilted lacking any low frequencies at all. Actually it has a lot of moments with some very intense sub-bass, like LCC, Augmatic Disport, and Sublimit. Confield is the one that I would describe as being the more bass-shy one, but that's one of the aspects that makes the drums so pleasant. But I have neither the money nor the space to "treat" my room, so I'll have to live with an inferior music-listening experience.

IMO ofc, etc.

I haven't noticed Untilted lacking any low frequencies at all. Actually it has a lot of moments with some very intense sub-bass, like LCC, Augmatic Disport, and Sublimit. Confield is the one that I would describe as being the more bass-shy one, but that's one of the aspects that makes the drums so pleasant.

I very much agree with this. I would say of all autechre albums I've listened to Untilted on headphones the most. I think for maybe a month it was the only thing I listened to when I went out. Only pair of headphones I have atm are my HD-25-1 IIs. They're def a treble friendly set of phones, and I personally love high pitches so these are excellent headphones for me. That being said I never felt like the bass was ever lacking on Untilted. The subfrequency waves on Pro Radii in particular are awesome.

I do also understand why headphones can feel too constricting. After a few hours of wearing my HD25s my ears/head will start to feel fatigued, especially cos i wear glasses and they'll start to pinch. So often times when I'm at home I'll listen on my system, which is very much in need of an upgrade.

Archived