IGNORED

Justice - Woman

dudenorth

• 1 month later...

New track Alakazam! released yesterday. I'm really loving it, it sounds like a bridge between the production of Cross and the composition of Audio Video Disco which is exactly what I wished for !

Even if "pedestrian disco" isn't your thing give it a listen :music:

As soon as they got over their homophobia tbqh.

homosex was always accepted in the electronic/dance community tho wasn't it? doesn't explain the disco resurgence imo.. i think it has more to do with the mainstream popularity of daft punk

homosex was always accepted in the electronic/dance community tho wasn't it? doesn't explain the disco resurgence imo.. i think it has more to do with the mainstream popularity of daft punk

The cocaine helped

For sure, I was just referring to the general public's embrace of Disco-y dance music. A lot of 2010s bros listen music that would have been dismissed as "gay" 10-15 years ago. 

yeah I remember the time when listening to electronic music was somewhat subversive and likely to result in being teased. I've even had people choose to interact with me in awkward ways while I'm driving just because I'm playing weird electronic things. Now I just blast the most obnoxious electronic stuff through rural towns just so they can be exposed to something bizarre. My old buddy that was running humvee patrols through iraq would often catch shit for playing his electronic tunes through the comms. I guess it's quite different for them compared to listening to drowning pool.

I honestly think it was a topdown decision to make disco popular again. I think that big record labels with their nascent understanding of tastes decided that it 'was time' and then created Bruno Mars and Daft Punk made that stupid album. In underground and indie scenes there was certainly some synth-funk revival and I remember Skream saying something like he will only DJ disco from now on lol, but naw it just seems forced. But fuck it disco is great anyhow.

I honestly think it was a topdown decision to make disco popular again. I think that big record labels with their nascent understanding of tastes decided that it 'was time' and then created Bruno Mars and Daft Punk made that stupid album. In underground and indie scenes there was certainly some synth-funk revival and I remember Skream saying something like he will only DJ disco from now on lol, but naw it just seems forced. But fuck it disco is great anyhow.

Well if you're speaking about Daft Punk's RAM, they did incorporate a lot of disco when they first made Discovery back in 2001...I don't know, call it "french touch" or whatever (the classical "french touch" sound has been dead for a long time) but I have the feeling french electronic acts always had a lot of disco influences they usually put all over their work. For example, Justice used to describe their first album as "a disco album with an agressive production", which it is. So to me the disco sound of Alakazam isn't forced or anything but rather a logical continuation of their work.

I agree with your vision of Bruno Mars tho, but please don't put Daft Punk in the same bag !

• 4 weeks later...

Well if you're speaking about Daft Punk's RAM, they did incorporate a lot of disco when they first made Discovery back in 2001...I don't know, call it "french touch" or whatever (the classical "french touch" sound has been dead for a long time) but I have the feeling french electronic acts always had a lot of disco influences they usually put all over their work. For example, Justice used to describe their first album as "a disco album with an agressive production", which it is. So to me the disco sound of Alakazam isn't forced or anything but rather a logical continuation of their work.

I agree with your vision of Bruno Mars tho, but please don't put Daft Punk in the same bag !

It's been in the making since the early 00s for sure. Look at how edgier underground stuff died out as trends - Electroclash is a perfect example, it fizzled out as a fad as electrohouse got more popular. I'd say 2004/2005. Eric Prydz - Call On Me and it's video made disco ok to like in some manner for bros. It was a big turning point of it going mainstream outside of Europe and likewise Madonna's "Hung Up On You" was essentially just french filter house remix of ABBA that she sang over. Justice and other peers on Ed Banger put out pretty raw stuff back in 2007 yet their critical hit was "D.A.N.C.E." which was really poppy and watered down.

New track Alakazam! released yesterday. I'm really loving it, it sounds like a bridge between the production of Cross and the composition of Audio Video Disco which is exactly what I wished for !

Even if "pedestrian disco" isn't your thing give it a listen :music:

That's a slammin' track!

There are some really good tracks imo but I agree with your lack-of-energy statement...Sometimes it almost sounds as if they wanted to record the album live (pretty sure some parts of it are indeed played live, I remember they posted a photo during the recording session of the Safe & Sound strings), but the sounds are so polished that they loose their intensity.

I'm glad they tried once again to do something new but I'm afraid that despite the excellent production (or because of it ?) it won't be as memorable as their other work :(

Archived