IGNORED

Is Hyperpop The Future Of Pop?

hijexx

the internetification of the genre concept is one which is particularly applicable to hyperpop, which in its most representative examples is a combinatorial musical genre mixing together many disparate musical concepts

what's more clear though is the trajectory not of the topology of genres, but rather the post I have just written, being characterized by coming straight forth from my sphincter

5 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

genres are a continuum of many parameters not inflexible categories of strict requirements.  if they are the latter, they create the necessity of breaking the previous rules of that genre for artistic reasons to either expand or branch off of it.  given the topology of content on the internet's close relationship to human interaction graphs, its likely that as time moves forward genres will be less word of mouth or officially sanctioned descriptions for well defined categories of music, and moreso loose conglomerations of tags for the creation of social groups surrounding fanbases of the music.  it's almost a universal trope at this point that the artists themselves reject the concept of genres or even make fun of them, and as a result the genres become something that has utility only for the listeners, but not even for individual listeners, rather for communities of listeners.  as a result, the genre is nothing more than a subculture

there’s honestly no reason to post like this

48 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

New connections are being formed between assemblages of enunciation by abstract machines deterritorialized over the internet.

tempted to start a Deleuzean techno (DeleuzEDM) thread where we just mash parts from random tracks together like john carpenter's the thing. actually this sounds like it could be a lotta fun

@Alcofribas i feel like we're in this weird transtional stage vis a vis subjectivity. like the recognition of a coherent subject (in this case a musical genre) is always a conscious decision to frame raw experience in a particular way, to place an an abstract atemporal frame of definition onto the endlessly-mutating temporal flow of life. the exact definition of the subject is always something that is worked out moment-by-moment, case-by-case etc, as one is continuously called to determine what "fits" within the confines of the subject, even though the subject is still in the process of being defined - the very process of determining what does & does not "fit" is the process of developing a definition of something. the subject endures as a metastable abstraction - it's meaning constantly shifting over time, but slowly enough that it maintains a sense of relative coherence (much like how the faces of people you know are constantly changing, but usually not fast enough to trip you up)

The thing about internet culture is that the fluctuation happens much faster now. We're still used to a 20th century mode of thinking, when things were still measured in decades & generations. And yet, at the same time we seem unable to resist the movement towards increasingly short attention spans, increasingly ambiguous signifiers, arbitrary categorizations, definitions that change sometimes hour to hour. Ultimately i think the very notion of things like genres will need to be updated to reflect this, to become something that more explicitly speaks to a flow of cultural transformation rather than any (semi-)fixed point

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cryptowen said:

Ultimately i think the very notion of things like genres will need to be updated to reflect this, to become something that more explicitly speaks to a flow of cultural transformation rather than any (semi-)fixed point

Definitely 

Does this count as hyperpop to yall? 

Heard from a couple of places that it does but for one this sound originated from a totes different scene and it's also quite older (2009-2012)

edit: big love to dancecorps

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Heard from a couple of places that it does but for one this sound originated from a totes different scene and it's also quite older (2009-2012)

it sounds like happy hardcore genre to me

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally been converted by 100 gecs.  It's becoming a regular feature in my life.  I've realized that good music is overrated and overrepresented in the world.  Bad music needs a chance, and awful music deserves a place of supreme privilege.  Too many people make music with the intention of it being good and I for one am completely bored of it.  I'm trying to listen only to music that is made with absolutely no consideration of quality, and 100 gecs has mastered this attitude.  Out with the good, in with the bad.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I've finally been converted by 100 gecs.  It's becoming a regular feature in my life.  I've realized that good music is overrated and overrepresented in the world.  Bad music needs a chance, and awful music deserves a place of supreme privilege.  Too many people make music with the intention of it being good and I for one am completely bored of it.  I'm trying to listen only to music that is made with absolutely no consideration of quality, and 100 gecs has mastered this attitude.  Out with the good, in with the bad.

here enjoy the aboluste worst gec song

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

here enjoy the aboluste worst gec song

I love it.  It's a big middle finger to anyone who has a taste in music (good or bad).

Edited by drillkicker
  • Haha 1

I'm a big fan of caro ❤️ 

The new album "Heartbeats/Heartbreaks" is the lighter side of hyperpop. So much of this trend is blown out aggression, which is awesome but it's good to have the Quiet Storm end of the dial too.

If I'm honest, the poppy stuff is fun but what made me buy it is the incredible ambient textures found all throughout the album. I'd pay 2x the asking price for "Drop In The Ocean" alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xxx said:

I'm a big fan of caro ❤️ 

The new album "Heartbeats/Heartbreaks" is the lighter side of hyperpop. So much of this trend is blown out aggression, which is awesome but it's good to have the Quiet Storm end of the dial too.

If I'm honest, the poppy stuff is fun but what made me buy it is the incredible ambient textures found all throughout the album. I'd pay 2x the asking price for "Drop In The Ocean" alone.

sounds like rhubarb

Edited by ilqx hermolia xpli

On 8/18/2021 at 10:18 AM, ilqx hermolia xpli said:
On 8/18/2021 at 9:44 AM, MIXL2 said:

Spoiler

Expand  

it sounds like happy hardcore genre to me

Happy hardcore was between '95 and '99, and has a very distinct sound imo:

Spoiler

Although Dancecore/Mashcore definitely has some elements from it like the fast breaks and kicks it differs in that it necessarily mangles existing pop music or known hooks to build up the music. It also often goes way faster/more abrasive/experimental than happy hardcore ever does.. there just isn't anything else like it really (shitmat and bit meddler kinda had the right idea..)

I showed it to a couple of different people midway hyperpop discussions and they immediately associated it with the genre. I find it interesting considering that dancecorps was alive and kickin back in '09 already.

Some more Dance/Mashcore tunes:

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Related to the post above^

This is a love post to DJ Kurara, pushing the boundaries of how much shit that can be mashed up at once since 2011.

Big love ❤️ 

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Imagine taking the worst genre in existence (aside from country), and then hyper-fying it with extreme auto tuning, squirrel speedy vocals, and then polishing it up with some decent engineering, and then actual intelligent people such as all of you debating the merits of it.

We live in super strange times. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1