IGNORED

Is Hyperpop The Future Of Pop?

hijexx

Never heard of this genre before until random video popped up on YT recs. Way off my radar. Is this pop music now?

I'm not even really hating on it. Other than Sophie I've never heard of any of these acts. I figured Sophie was kinda leftfield but apparently she's done production for big name pop stars and brands.

I feel old and out of touch lol

I've been following PC Music for a bit. There's some real gems, but the only artist I consistently like is Sophie. A.G. Cook's production on Tommy Cash's Pussy Money Weed is fantastic, but I have trouble getting into his other stuff.

• Like 1

I’m not sure about the rest but every Sophie song I’ve heard has made me want to gouge out my eardrums. ?‍♂️
I always figured it was meme music, like Rebecca Black. Is it supposed to be taken seriously?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

14 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Some of Sophie's stuff rocks dude

I don't like it.

?‍♂️

But I always hated regular pop too. So adding a veneer of slightly better production and then ruining it with (equally as) nonsensical lyrics and layering on mainstream EDM tropes doesn't do it for me. 

What about this actually rubs your johnny the right way? lol 

edit: tbf this is 10000 times better than that hannah diamond track posted at the start of this thread. 

holy yikes

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Hyperpop ? wel that fits right, love the new Arca album and i guess Zora jones her new album could fall under that? I realy enjoy that one ❤️

HxMx, don't be a friggin nun and give Sophie her last album a spin, it rocks. At first i was what the hellfukk but it's a grower ?

• Haha 1

If this is billed as POP and kids use it as a gateway to other sounds, then that's cool by me.  I dig some of the production here, that Zora Jones track is listenable

Without dubstep we wouldn't have Shackleton / Pearson Sound / Pinch / etc etc, so these new sub-genres need to come and go

38 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

People trying to get their new buzzwords in for new genres is p cringe ngl

Nevermind hyperpop but calling pitching up songs a genre, in other words nightcore, is stretching the term quite a fucking bit. Even calling them edits is a bit much.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dcom said:

Do people listen to that garbage willingly and claim to like it? I feel extinction-level ancient.

I feel like I know now how my parents felt when they saw me watching the Prodigy's music videos from the Experience album in the early '90s.

But idk. Is Iglooghost's Neo Wax Bloom hyperpop? Because I like that. But some of this stuff is just way too annoying and grating to listen to.