IGNORED

RTR - upcoming EPs on WéMè (2021)

may be rude

On 4/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, psn said:

https://analogicalforce.bandcamp.com/track/dsde

Wait, what? Literally recreating Steinvord tracks now? 

LOL, this has to be the dumbest shit in Braindance. Kudos for coming across as both lazy and desperate, though. ? 

come on. rtr is one of the best right now imo. i see no reason to think it's not steinvord. they've clearly been claiming to either be steinvord or otherwise just be overtly trolling us with the suggestion. in either reality i'm fine.

• rtr - rules the read
  • MFSIYFF - iyff acid
  • untitled - untitled
  • acyx1 - cyg x-1
  • their forum name was "spanish guy" (before they left)

i think they've been recreating steinvord tracks all along, actually. i assume you're referring to DSDE being a nod to the old steinvord track cyg x-1? untilienx5 always seemed to me like a nod to maelstrom (maybe slowed? i never listen to the regular speed). pandemonium (soundcloud) actually seemed like another alternate reality version of maelstrom slowed. i think there's one that nods to iyff acid (aside from mfsiyff), but i forget which. 

then there's just continuing in the same style, for multiple distinct styles. for example, untitled follows in the very unique style of untitled97. firevolt seems to follow phorumwanky. this is another way that rtr clearly either is steinvord or otherwise is overtly trolling us about it.

the entity comes across as making good techno, trolling this forum, and not giving a fuck. if they decided it would be fun to model their techno work around steinvord lore, i guess that is an interesting choice, especially 4 albums later. i just find it more likely to believe that rtr is steinvord.

and who is steinvord? i mean they troll about that too. 

• firevolt - steinbolt
  • vbsvbswg.aqmm - VBS.Redlof.B & W32.Mydoom.AU@mm
  • Gator.D@mm - W32.Mydoom.AU@mm

plus there are tracks that sound straight out of drukqs or a recent tom album

my guess is tom and rich on a remote max system. tom always wanted a band. i think it's not a coincidence that so much of it sounds like tom's custom max system. i think it's not a coincidence that aphex rolled out with a max patch for detuned pitches last year (at the same time that rtr put up the detuned track lemno). planetx production sounds close to damogen furies, which released around the same time.

anyway, i've now deeply taken the bait, and i'll add that i'm very hype for the imminence. will check out the new tracks more closely later.

Edited by trying to be less rude
  • Like 3

The main problem with the idea that RTR = Steinvord, is that RTR's music sounds meandering, indecisive and downright clumsy. It's the aspirational sound of someone trying to figure out the building blocks by aping other people's tracks on a superficial level. Whereas Steinvord's stuff has a ton of swagger and confidence, a natural ability to play around with different genre tropes while forming them into actual music.

RTR is like a decent cover band in a pub pretending to be the real deal, straight up silly. I tip my hat to enthusiasts, tinkerers and genre nerds alike, but for God's sake just stand for it and front it under your own name if you love it so much. The sham is just a great disservice to the effort and care that obviously goes into it. 

• Like 3
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

9 hours ago, psn said:

The main problem with the idea that RTR = Steinvord, is that RTR's music sounds meandering, indecisive and downright clumsy. It's the aspirational sound of someone trying to figure out the building blocks by aping other people's tracks on a superficial level. Whereas Steinvord's stuff has a ton of swagger and confidence, a natural ability to play around with different genre tropes while forming them into actual music.

RTR is like a decent cover band in a pub pretending to be the real deal, straight up silly. I tip my hat to enthusiasts, tinkerers and genre nerds alike, but for God's sake just stand for it and front it under your own name if you love it so much. The sham is just a great disservice to the effort and care that obviously goes into it. 

i'm not sure there is any sham. the suggestion is that it is steinvord, as the person named themself spanish guy and then the debut had 3 or 4 references in the track names, and the styles clearly match the fingerprint. i'm not sure why we need to doubt that. you make a case, but i don't agree. there were only like a dozen steinvord tracks in the first place. i think many rtr tracks surpass any of those. rules the read is good, but so is reward. untitled9 is good but so is icrashed.gen. untitled (myspace) is great but xor probably towers over it. iyff acid slow is great but 1111111111111111111 is too.  it's common in an artist's catalog for releases to vary. much rtr work has serious swagger and does exactly what you describe, wielding a mastery to casually produce a solid new form.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, psn said:

....meandering, indecisive and downright clumsy. It's the aspirational sound of someone trying to figure out the building blocks by aping other people's tracks on a superficial level....

^this right here. And same goes for the most part of AF releases. I've tried out every RTR record and sadly find them simply boring and can't listen to a single track from the beginning to an end. I dig his drum stuff, but can't get into anything else. Those Steinvord tracks from the days of myspace still sound fresh, so compared to them this next level genius of RTR is totally lost on me. But if people dig this guy, it's all fine by me.

I know I am dumb as fuck but I can't see any solid evidence to any direction in naming one's alias or tracks after something that has been done before. Like, I could write a pan flute solo and call it Ztal but it wouldn't make me RDJ.

• Like 3

track 4 totally not tom on bass

neverever is totally not aphex

sounds like a great album

amazing that only 1 of these is from sc (neverever is "XM"). so many good ones on sc still unreleased. 

• Like 1

that remake of cyg x1 is really good

spaceopera also sounding nice

both good loud

the new sc ones are great, too. viva rtr