IGNORED

Any software/plugin where you can give it say.... a folder of 3 minute drum playing, audio, and it will automatically determine where drums are and cut them to turn into One-Shots?

Brisbot

Any software/plugin where you can give it say.... a folder of 3 minute drum playing, audio, and it will automatically determine where drums are and cut them to turn into One-Shots?

Only way I really know how is just to input one thing at a time. But if there is a much faster way to do it, and have it export one-shots into a folder or something, that would be great.

you can do this in Logic Pro by turning on flex mode,  detecting transients and then option-clicking and then click slice by transients in the menu.  From there you will have a bunch of regions. You can open the file browser and select all the regions and then option+click and save each region as its own file. As a side note, with the text tool in the arranger you can select all the regions and then name the first one something like "drums-001" and it will rename all of them sequentially following the number pattern you set up.

There is lots of software that will do some version of this, Recycle was the the classic one in the late 90s. I've found Logic's transient detection to be really top notch for this kind of stuff though.

• Like 1

Maybe this? https://web.archive.org/web/20170622191859/http://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

Edit: I haven't used it in a million years, I see now that it doesn't support 24 bit files if you need that.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

SWS for Reaper will automaticlaly slice at transients, or you can take a little more time and tab to transients manually, since you're going to want to check the auto slicing anyhow, and that's at least as much work as manually slicing.

• Like 2

Cubase does this too since the warp audio thing.

I’m sure the slices end up named like the Logic example Nikisoko put above. They can be saved from the sample pool or grabbed from the audio directory assigned to the project.

• Like 1

THX for the replies peeps. I made a list of things to check out.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:35 AM, TubularCorporation said:

SWS for Reaper will automaticlaly slice at transients, or you can take a little more time and tab to transients manually, since you're going to want to check the auto slicing anyhow, and that's at least as much work as manually slicing.

Yeah I know there are plenty of vsts that will slice audio you give it. But I'm talking about being able to drag 20 audio clips, and then have them turned into one shots to be dumped in a new folder. That's what I am really asking for. I am looking to get a ton of one shots to be able to use in drum machines and such.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:46 AM, Silent Member said:

Maybe this? https://web.archive.org/web/20170622191859/http://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

Edit: I haven't used it in a million years, I see now that it doesn't support 24 bit files if you need that.

Looks promising. At least I have a starting point.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, nikisoko said:

you can do this in Logic Pro by turning on flex mode,  detecting transients and then option-clicking and then click slice by transients in the menu.  From there you will have a bunch of regions. You can open the file browser and select all the regions and then option+click and save each region as its own file. As a side note, with the text tool in the arranger you can select all the regions and then name the first one something like "drums-001" and it will rename all of them sequentially following the number pattern you set up.

There is lots of software that will do some version of this, Recycle was the the classic one in the late 90s. I've found Logic's transient detection to be really top notch for this kind of stuff though.

I know that kinda stuff is abundant. IDK if I wrote my original post well, but I would love to be able to throw like.. 20 breaks in, have it automatically. make one shots without me having to manually go in. Would save a lot of time even if there inevitable will be wonky sounding one shots litered thruout.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:46 AM, Silent Member said:

oh man that interface makes me oddly nostalgic for the mid to late 90s.

• Like 1

Renoise maybe?

The renoise auto slicer is pretty good.

Auto slice your audio, make them individual samples and export.

I think this could be done in renoise but its been a while since ive used it.

Edited by thefxbip

29 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Yeah I know there are plenty of vsts that will slice audio you give it. But I'm talking about being able to drag 20 audio clips, and then have them turned into one shots to be dumped in a new folder. That's what I am really asking for. I am looking to get a ton of one shots to be able to use in drum machines and such.

The person replying is right tho. Ive done exactly what you ask with Reaper.

Reaper can do this . Just grab the demo if you dont have it.

It can transient cut audio and then you can batch export the files into a folder using export/render selected items or something like that. It should export all of them individually into whatever folder you told reaper to export them to. Ive done it once, auto sliced all my breaks and exported them into folders to be then loaded as hits in the Atlas sampler that automatically sort them into types of drums samples (kicks, snares, hats etc)

Been a while since ive tried the transient detector slicer tho. It wasnt the most precise, some slices were meh. I remember the renoise one being more precise but maybe they improved it in the new reaper version.

But reaper should be able to do a decent job at what you want to do.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

of course there's a cloud based service you can pay for to do this. 

https://www.originaudio.net/software/auto-slicer

seems like someone could write a script to do this. i recall such scripts for 'strip silence -> make new audio files'. and others to make reaktor sample libraries.

ableton does 'slice to midi' and creates a new drum rack with the slices. then you can save the drumrack. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Yeah, you can do that in Reaper.  Drag them into the timeline, auto-slice them, select all the newly sliced clips, export as files. You can't slice in the batch converter, but doing it the way I described isn't really any slower.

My point was more that with any auto slicing you're going to want to manually check all of the slices and probably fine tune at least some of them, so in Reaper what I would do is using the tab-to-next-transient feature and then fine tuning the start point of the slice BEFORE you slice and save.  So with all your files on the timeline, press tab to move to the next detected transient, confirm that it was detected accurately, press S to split the clip when you're satisfied, repeat, then export all of your clips.  

Renoise can do auto slices with a finesse % you can set beforehand. Never really comes close to doing it by hand though, love scrolling into waveforms finding the exact moment where it should cut :lol:

1 hour ago, chronical said:

Renoise can do auto slices with a finesse % you can set beforehand. Never really comes close to doing it by hand though, love scrolling into waveforms finding the exact moment where it should cut :lol:

yeah at some point you just gotta put the work in

• Like 1