IGNORED

Aphex Twin and trackers

YEK

It seems like all of his fast bpm stuff drill and others are all done on the computer with trackers. Thoughts? 

Like almost the majority of his music, at least more than half is done with trackers.

I wonder what he's using. Probably renoise.

I'm pretty sure that Drukqs was the last album of his to be produced on a tracker. He may or may not have sequenced bits and pieces of tracks here and there with tracker software, but I highly doubt that he's arranged a full track using one in years. 

i remember RDJ said that Bogdan Raczynski was a huge inspiration for Drukqs because he was also doing crazy stuff with trackers around the same time as him... i have a huge folder of these NES audio files by BR but i had no idea they were on youtube until just now

• Like 1

No not half of his music done on Trackers. That was just around 96-01 
The album Boku Ma Wakaran inspired RDJ, if you hear it is like many tracks are sequenced in that way. 

It stil sounds absolutely amazing even if just using 12bit samples and couple of Sinewaves. I think with a tracker is the easiest way to making crazy break beats but also good melodies and just make the tracks. 

Furnace is a Tracker that is going up now in popularity, mostly for Computer music, but this tracker is very good 

• Like 3

Wouldnt jungle generally have been a bigger inspiration, and line up more timeline wise, than bogdan?

94-95 there were so many fucking insane jungle tracks coming out, almost all done with trackers, I always assumed that piqued afx interest and he did hangable auto bulb around that time (which I've assumed was an experiment to see if he could make jungle style tracks using single drum hits rather than a full cut up break)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

Wouldnt jungle generally have been a bigger inspiration, and line up more timeline wise, than bogdan?

94-95 there were so many fucking insane jungle tracks coming out, almost all done with trackers, I always assumed that piqued afx interest and he did hangable auto bulb around that time (which I've assumed was an experiment to see if he could make jungle style tracks using single drum hits rather than a full cut up break)

Yeah ofc real jungle have the most impact on his Aphex sound in general and other electronic music.

But Drukqs specific is highly inspired by Bogdans Boku No Wakaran. The easy Sinus waves melodiess, some sampled voice singing in the background while the breaks going heavy later. Very original.  

Maybe it was even  that made RDJ to try a Tracker for the first time I don't know but Im happy he got inspiration for this because Drukqs is a masterpiece and also not a proper jungle at all.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, cern said:

Im listening to The Tuss right now.. Wonder if that got some tracker work going on? The Cirklon was not even released back then 

Death fuck 

The tuss to me feels like multitracked hardware sequenced stuff, or computer sequenced stuff multitracked in and manipulated. Like polished multitrack takes of analord era learnings. The breaks are very simple, don't feel trackery to me but I could be wrong. I know he was doing rs7000 (?) stuff back then so maybe, RS7000. The tuss is one thing he hasn't talked about that much in depth, but definitely my favorite era and the one that I always go back to reference the most when doing my own music. (also been on a hardware kick in the last few years). I could be totally on the wrong track though.

Hmm, he also talks about using Ableton on talking2u. Seems like he switches up a lot

• Like 4