IGNORED

Old photo of Aphex Twin

Sikost

Just found two photos from a Rephlex party in London in 2003!

i wish i took way more photos but you know…great night!

Also found the informations about that party here:

when: Tue 11 Nov 2003 (8pm) 

where: Neighbourhood (12 Acklam Road, W10, 020.7524.7979) 

Tube: Ladbroke Grove 

price: £8 advance / £10 

links: Event info 

The Rephlex label takes electronic braindance to the next level, releasing records that simultaneously sound like a 23rd-century dancefloor and a washing machine being kicked down the stairs. Tonight's showcase — a teaser for next week's release of the 19-track compilation album Rephlexions — sees Rephlex reconfiguring your limbic system with live Astrobotnia and Bogdan Raczynski sets, and special guest DJs such as Cyclob, the Bug, and Soundmurderer. Also on the decks: the ever-brilliant Aphex Twin (in his DJ Smojphace guise), who last week DJed a set that included killer drill 'n bass, Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", and the theme tune to Grange Hill. Madness never sounded so sweet. (KW)

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_5032.jpeg

• Like 10

Damn you are right!!!

two different nights, color photo is the Rephlex night and the bw one was a Warp party also in 2003 or 2004 can’t remember 

Years ago I posted myspace video from this gig, the cameraman used nightvision to film Richie enjoying some lager, twiddling knobs and play some jungle (Soundmurderer & SK1's Badman and sth else) too bad myspace is long dead...

• Like 1

My girlfriend at the time talked to Aphex that night, she told him « If Madonna doesn’t want to squeal like a pig I will do it for you! ». He laughed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sikost said:

when: Tue 11 Nov 2003 (8pm) 

where: Neighbourhood (12 Acklam Road, W10, 020.7524.7979) 

pretty sure i was there too for that one. I was about to go home after uni and some coursemates were like "hey, come with us!".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sikost said:

Do you think it would be possible to find it back!?

it, as in, aphex' dj set from that night? not sure.

I do remember his mix kept increasing gradually in bpm, from early UR-like electro, all the way to drill'n'bass.

Really nice pictures. I wonder if this will turn into another „Rare images of Aphex Twin“ topic. The other one was removed some years ago after some images of his new girlfriend were posted prematurely 

8 hours ago, Mattthegoone said:

Jesus that Donk track, holy moly that's fucking good

About time someone ID'd it (or released it), has been played for ages.

Same year:

More recent:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah for sure, people on some of those youtube replies saying they think it's vibert and it does, but there's those synthy bits that sound unmistakably like Rich to me, coupled with the fact he's played it at 4 or 5 gigs over a very long period of time, just another track of his sitting in the ether I reckon, would love if he did an ep of some of these jungly/dnb tunes that he dots his sets with

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:17 AM, Mattthegoone said:

Jesus that Donk track, holy moly that's fucking good

One of the greatest lost/never released rephlex trax

On 5/14/2024 at 10:14 PM, Mattthegoone said:

Yeah for sure, people on some of those youtube replies saying they think it's vibert and it does, but there's those synthy bits that sound unmistakably like Rich to me, coupled with the fact he's played it at 4 or 5 gigs over a very long period of time, just another track of his sitting in the ether I reckon, would love if he did an ep of some of these jungly/dnb tunes that he dots his sets with

No chance it's vibert. It sounds like aphex but has some decidedly non aphexian elements ("go ahead, go ahead, do it")

Speaking which back end of this track always reminded me of donk track, dunno why. Just got the same vibe/rhythm to me, plus the long clap/snare sound is pretty much the same