IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Ramses: When I started off trying to make music years ago I first bought a Motu 828 MKII which I still own. However nowadays when I want to record something analogue into the computer I use the inputs in Kyma as it's A/D converter is about a billion times better. Then I just send the digital signal to the Motu via spdif and then into the computer via firewire. (bit overly complicated actually, I just need to get a new better interface, but don't really need one at the moment).

Hahhathhat: The Genoqs is great. Tricky to get your mind around at first but after a bit of practice your hands start flying around it without thinking (like playing an instrument). I work with computers during my day job so try to avoid using the computer when making music (only to record it at the end if I come up with something good).

Pera: Yes pretty much all of my dreams are in there too, except I'd like an ARP 2600.

Despite having all this stuff I'm not rich by the way, I'm just probably a bit older than most of you (mid 30s) and have been working a full time 9-5 Mon-Fri job since I was 21. The key is to not get married and have kids, they're even more expensive than synths! (also I live in Berlin right now so don't own or need a car, they're expensive too)

Guest placidburp

lol at that speaker on the right - how thin is that?? treble-tastic. sorry, sound like a right cunt.

They are pretty good actually, not that I know much about speakers. They are Wharfedale CRS3's...they are mega old!

4859_115530526564_571556564_2911497_6424073_n.jpg

Edited by placidburp

sorry, they just looked well thin....maybe it's the camera angle...you ever thought about getting some studio monitors though? makes a lot of difference to what you're hearing truth wise (ie a more accurate representation of what's actually coming out of your gear).

Guest placidburp

Would love to, but utterly skint. So not really my main priority at the moment. I've these Warfdales for years and they are actually pretty great sounding. I showed them to a guy who collects older speakers and he pretty much drooled over them, like I said though, I don't know anything about speakers really.

No idea about the older wharfedales, but some of the newer ones are pretty good and when matched with the right amp will make a perfectly decent 'monitor' when compared to something in a similar price bracket.

Guest SecondaryCell

Sorry to stray from the topic, but studio monitor discussion is very interesting.

The good thing about monitors is that any kind will do if you know them very well. It just takes years of trial and error listening to your mixes on every type of system you have access to. That sounds tedious, but I think we all do this when we start out - working on crappy monitors because we have no money or knowledge to get something great. I used a pair of horrible Sylvania home stereo speakers as monitors for years and was eventually able to make decent sounding music with them.

Also, how about the Yamaha NS-10 craze in the 80's and 90's? Basically the idea was that if you could make something sound good on the NS-10s then it would sound good on anything. They were quite awful and didn't reproduce bass very well (actually, at all). I was fortunate to have worked in a high end studio throughout the 90's and saw many world-class engineers mix through NS-10s. To get the bass right they would crank the volume up so high that they would judge the amount of bass by exactly how the woofer excursion would go far enough to "crap out"... then they knew the bass was ok.

I still have a set of NS-10 monitors and they are useful as alts, great for checking midrange. About ten years ago I bit the bullet after listening to many different studio monitors and picked up a set of Genelec 1032a's - for me they are the last monitors I will ever need.

Also, how about the Yamaha NS-10 craze in the 80's and 90's? Basically the idea was that if you could make something sound good on the NS-10s then it would sound good on anything. They were quite awful and didn't reproduce bass very well (actually, at all). I was fortunate to have worked in a high end studio throughout the 90's and saw many world-class engineers mix through NS-10s. To get the bass right they would crank the volume up so high that they would judge the amount of bass by exactly how the woofer excursion would go far enough to "crap out"... then they knew the bass was ok.

Isn't that a little bit apocryphal about the NS10s, in that their appeal weren't really as grot boxes as such. They were a sealed cabinet design which has various technical advantages and disadvantages compared to ported speakers, so what the NS10s lacked in bass they made up for in time domain performance. So it made sense to use them as a 'reference' monitor, in addition to other 'better' ported monitors. However their ubiquity meant that they were often used extensively as engineers/producers knew exactly what they were getting.

Guest SecondaryCell
However their ubiquity meant that they were often used extensively as engineers/producers knew exactly what they were getting.

Yeah, and they were cheap enough (about $300 back in the day) that anyone could afford them.

Another interesting part of my story is that the studio actually became an authorized Yamaha dealer to be able to keep a stock of dozens of NS-10 woofers and tweeters. During the course of a session the engineer would either blow the woofers or feel that they were "getting soft" (from the bass-checking technique) and request a fresh pair to be installed. We actually got into the business of selling Yamaha speaker components to other studios because of this.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ramses

Thanks! But the components on the technology transplant switchboard are complete shit. The machine doesn't function properly. I'm switching back to the original today.

Guest Ramses

well that's a pair of sweaty balls innit?

I'll say. Don't buy from technology transplant.

Now onto the good news, I just installed the original board and its working perfectly. What a relief. Back to making acid.

My "studio" is in shambles but here are some pics of some of my gear. My room is a "studio", living room, bedroom, gaming room; and it is fucking tiny. I need a bigger space and a change of environment I think.

And oh yeah, I am a pig and a hoarder.

post-255-127258225784_thumb.jpg

post-255-127258226356_thumb.jpg

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

i have adam a7+sub8.

i regard them as the last speakers i will purchase for the next 10-15 years.

orly?? ima listen to the track you posted in YLC now, I was thinkin bout buying those monitors over the KRKV10s soon

nice one on the DR-110, I was going for one, but I've kind of decided to save up for an 808

but I still think the 606/DR-110 hi-hats sound better.

Edited by Berk

nice one on the DR-110, I was going for one, but I've kind of decided to save up for an 808

but I still think the 606/DR-110 hi-hats sound better.

You'll never regret the 808.