IGNORED

The Boards of Canada and Clever Marketing Schemes

Guest friends

Music70.com = HexagonSun.com = BoardsofCanada.com

Is is all just a fucking ploy? give me pictures of this infamious enigmatic studio. i need proof of other artists of the Hex Sun collective and other works from Hexagon Sun members. Does the back catalogue even exist? I've been a fan for many years, but i really wonder about all of this.

ehh the fact that i even wonder is not good. cheers boc

It seems like they were a loose collective at best, and they've long since dispersed from that special time when they were doing Redmoon gigs and other artistic stuff together. This is just a guess, but as you know Melissa Olson directed the Dayvan Cowboy video, and I read an online interview where she's in Germany now. I have no idea if she was an actual Hex Sunner but since they have tracks Olson and Melissa Juice it seems reasonble to assume that she was.

The brothers Sandison have moved studios and seem to travel a lot so it seems like they are taking even more time off from each other than ever before. It would really suprise me if they ever met up with the remnants of a "Hex Sun collective" for more than a handful of evenings a year. They seem to be loners at heart.

Guest Moebius

Agreed. Most indications are that the glory days of the Hexagon Sun group are long past. I doubt they were that active anymore even in the earliest days of BoC's dawning fame, but it makes for a great story and it's a great way to fill half an article.

They do still tap some of their old HS friends to lend a hand - Olson on the video, PIC for photos, Goderich for the bio. I do believe that it was at least all true at one time, but not for a good while.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
Agreed. Most indications are that the glory days of the Hexagon Sun group are long past. I doubt they were that active anymore even in the earliest days of BoC's dawning fame, but it makes for a great story and it's a great way to fill half an article.

They do still tap some of their old HS friends to lend a hand - Olson on the video, PIC for photos, Goderich for the bio. I do believe that it was at least all true at one time, but not for a good while.

who is the mysterious natasha morten? why do people make art? is hexagon sun a collective or a sanctuary? what does that mean? is art a process or an activity? is an art market an example of facism?

i'm sure they are still together as a group. even iof they do not live in the same quarters, wonders can be done over the internet

also, don't forget about the other video that warp released along the same time as the dayvan cowboy music video. boards of canada have said in the past that they wanted to release other media besides music, i'm sure those two videos are just the beginning of some great work.

I dunno, or it could be their youthful ambitions were overtaken by real life and/or laziness. I think this is more likely to be the case, given the meager length of Trans Canada Highway.

I remember in High School when I was into Jane's Addiction and they kept talking about this great video project they had been working on for a while, and when it finally came out it was a big disappointment. I'm skeptical Boards have any large video project in the works. They didn't even direct either of the two recent "videos."

I'll gladly eat my words, of course.

I'm sure like any group of friends, the Hex Sun people are in touch, but probably not all living together - probably just get together and do things when the need arises.

I've too thought about "what if all the BoC stuff was a marketing ploy" but really, I've spoken to a member of Hex Sun, and they are indeed a group of friends and family who contribute creatively to projects they do.

but really, I've spoken to a member of Hex Sun,

Unfortunately, I imagine it was not on the happiest of occasions :boc:

No, actually, most of the time it was neutral or on a positive note - why would you assume otherwise?

So was Chris Horne's departure amicable (if he was ever any kind of real 'member')? I've heard different versions of that, but also read that he gave the Sandisons a mention on his first album?

Guest Moebius

but really, I've spoken to a member of Hex Sun,

Unfortunately, I imagine it was not on the happiest of occasions :boc:

No, actually, most of the time it was neutral or on a positive note - why would you assume otherwise?

I was thinking of the OT incident(s), I'm sure they weren't too happy then.

But true, you did the old contest and all. (cheers on that)

Guest skytree
So was Chris Horne's departure amicable (if he was ever any kind of real 'member')? I've heard different versions of that, but also read that he gave the Sandisons a mention on his first album?
i think he left the band on good terms. as far as i'm aware, they're still friends. chris is mentioned on twoism.

Guest Moebius
i think he left the band on good terms. as far as i'm aware, they're still friends. chris is mentioned on twoism.

on the original release, he was, but interestingly not on the re-issue. make of it what you will.

on the original release, he was, but interestingly not on the re-issue. make of it what you will.

hmm...again, my knowledge is limited here, but that may have been a conflict with warp as the distributor. there certainly doesn't seem to be any bad blood between christ and boc...just an artistic divide that naturally led where it did.

Yeah, I had always thought that it had been amicable, until I read a posting somewhere (definitely not on WATMM) that Chris Horne had been 'kicked out' (which didn't seem very credible to me). Whether that was just some in-joke that went over my head or my memory of what was said became foggy over time though, I wouldn't like to say. I'd also wondered about his name being dropped from the 'Twoism' reissue.

i think i remember reading somewhere that he was asked about the split in an interview and he said something to the effect that he could not comment on it for legal reasons or something.

anyone else remember seeing this or am i making it up? i swear i read that somehwere.

Archived