nine inch nails - year zero

playbynumbers

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AlexPallas
its amazing how clarity can fuck up good music

depends on your personal definition of "clarity" :undecided:

the fragile was more multilayered and was pulled off the best. with teeth was thinly layered and was weak. reznor is capable of pulling off very good multilayered music, but thats all folks.

meh. TDS was better produced and more groundbreaking. listen to tracks like "no you dont" on the fragile. and starfuckers sucked too. plasticky, bloated garbage. the album definitey has its bright moments though, dont get me wrong. it might contend for the best NIN album if it was trimmed to 1 disc.

meh. TDS was better produced and more groundbreaking. listen to tracks like "no you dont" on the fragile. and starfuckers sucked too. plasticky, bloated garbage. the album definitey has its bright moments though, dont get me wrong. it might contend for the best NIN album if it was trimmed to 1 disc.

the fragile was a second rate Downward spiral in my opinion. Even some of the songs sound like they could be Reptile's cousin, Hurt's Uncle, Ruiner's sister, and Mr. Self Destruct's little brother. not a bad thing, but imo Fragile needed a followup remix album, maybe it should have been called 'Sturdy'

i would say that the instrumentation on The Fragile got better, but his layering and texture on TDS was 10x better than any of his other shit. And it was gritty as fuck. Before that, i hadnt heard such dirty music, that was dirty on purpose.

Guest Ron Manager
not a bad thing, but imo Fragile needed a followup remix album, maybe it should have been called 'Sturdy'

it was called things falling apart

not a bad thing, but imo Fragile needed a followup remix album, maybe it should have been called 'Sturdy'

it was called things falling apart

things falling apart is nothing like Fixed or further down the spiral. The remixes are too similar to the originals and most of them are pretty straight forward.

i would say that the instrumentation on The Fragile got better, but his layering and texture on TDS was 10x better than any of his other shit. And it was gritty as fuck. Before that, i hadnt heard such dirty music, that was dirty on purpose.

yeah, shit, i've had that album for about 8 years now and i'm still hearing new things even in the stereo version, i've only heard the 5.1 version once (i really have to set up my dvd player properly for 5.1!).

things falling apart for the most part sucked. too many awful starfuckers remixes.

there's a quasi "with teeth" remix album, i think it's the only single. awful, awful, awful, awful remixes. nin remixes used to be INCREDIBLE. the closer to god EP still blows me away with how they treated that song. now, it's just fucking pathetic the quality of remixes he tries to pass off on the eps. :(

Guest Deep Fried Everything

c'mon, no love for broken?

definitely not as complex or layered as far as soundscapes compared to either the fragile or downward spiral, but for 35 min (or whatever) of pure seething hatred, it gets no better.

i think most of the material from the closer to god ep's made it to the bonus disc of the re-release of TDS back in '05, right?

broken wails. i especially love the adam ant cover, physical. i think when i saw the wish video on mtv once, i was like, goddam, this is satanic music. that's secretly what planted the seed for me to really get into NIN when TDS came out.

yeah i'm pretty sure some of the closer stuff is on the TDS rerelease bonus disc. there's a couple of demos on there too, that are interesting to say the least . . .

Guest Ron Manager
things falling apart is nothing like Fixed or further down the spiral. The remixes are too similar to the originals and most of them are pretty straight forward.

things falling apart for the most part sucked. too many awful starfuckers remixes.

i thought the same, but i just went back and listened to it over christmas, and i got into it. it's definitely not the same as further down the spiral and other TDS-era material, but i was digging the last starfuckers remix by charlie clouser, and 10 miles high.

The Pigface version of suck is awesome, basically because its from Pigface.

If you don't like Pigface then its not going to become magical for you.

I didnt go from liking to loving Pigface until I saw them play in DC. Show was absolut chaos. Someone set fire to something in the restoom. People were fucking on tables, getting into fistfights, someone tossed something heavy and porcelin out of a window (??). Amazing.

Guest AlexPallas

i've got nothing against pigface, but the music doesnt compare with most nin in the quality department and suck doesnt compare to most nin in the quality department either

Ah, I completely disagree. Pigface is so much more raw and animalistic than NIN, was great stuff in its heyday. Ten Ground and Down, Asphole, Kiss King, nothing fro NIN hit me like that stuff. You really should have cought them live back in the day though. Nothing like a Pigface show.

Guest AlexPallas

i can imagine they would have been very good live, almost definately better than nin, however in the recorded data department, nin is better in my opinion

there's a quasi "with teeth" remix album, i think it's the only single. awful, awful, awful, awful remixes. nin remixes used to be INCREDIBLE. the closer to god EP still blows me away with how they treated that song. now, it's just fucking pathetic the quality of remixes he tries to pass off on the eps. :(

yeah what the hell is with that disco shit

it's all about that pigface vibe man!

besides, it was the high point in his career, because he was with Pigface, period. Pigface makes everyone better.

I guess I just was never a big enough NIN fan. I think Broken and TDS were pretty good, PHM had its moments, and everything else (including the Aphex mix) were pretty bad.

Archived