IGNORED

The first Aphex album you had

Josso

Guest Mutual Lines
further down the spiral?

:stuart:

lol this really was my first exposure to him. after that i saw the ctd video, which led to my purchase of the ctd ep. it wasn't until i heard SAW I that my "holy shit this is great" meter started going off the scale.

Guest NinjaRapAttack

SAWII... I then returned that 2CD, because it didn't have beats... and I didn't like it. LOL...

then I got RDJ album, which I loved - and later bought SAW II again. and now SAW II is my favorite of his.

Haha, yeah - I was like "Ooh, that's quite nice" or "Fucking sweet" when in the right mood but then the rest of the time I was just skipping forward to see when the beat came in. Turned out it never did.

• 2 weeks later...

ICBYD and RDJLP bought together after hearing Waxen Pith and Alberto Balsalm on the radio. got the ICBYD album thrown in the corner for like... half a year, got really amazed by RDJLP, and 6 months had to pass to get used to ICBYD. :)

I borrowed "on" and the "Artificial Intelligence" comp from a friend and never gave them back. I still have them after 13 years or so. I swear I didn't steal them. The first one I bought was either "surfing on sine waves" or "ventolin" in '94 or '95.

The Dice Man needs a comeback!

I dunno if I imagined it, but Im sure Aphex and Vibert were interviewed on some John Peel TV show in the mid-late 90s. That was my first exposure to his music. CTD and Windowlicker shortly followed then the long wait for Drukqs.

oh shit, I forgot the follow-up question.

After hearing richard's stuff, it made me discriminate more with what "techno" I listened to. Before hearing him I thought Moby was cool (he kinda was, back then, actually). I was also into Psykosonik and LA Style. But after Aphex, everything else seemed remedial. Before that, the couple albums that really effected me were "Revolver", "Fear of a Black Planet" and "Master of Puppets" (and all of the Guns N Roses albums). Richard is great because I still feel the same way I did when I hear a new track as I did when I first heard "on". Well, almost the same.

I honestly can't remember the first album of his I bought...for a long time I didn't believe in CDs and didn't own a record player :fear:

I remember distinctly my first exposure to him, was via Radio 1 (!) in 1992 (I think, somewhere in the mists of time anyway), I turned it on halfway through him live from Sheffield sound city and thought 'this is fucking cool' so found a cassette and started taping. Unfortunately I've only got about 20 mins of it (still listen to it now!) and there's a gap in the middle where I had to turn the tape over but come on you slags was in there and still remains one of my favourites and the benchmark for my taste in his stuff.

Thinking about it, I probably bought a single first, possibly ventolin remixes or come to daddy.

I'm too old, my memory's shot to shit.

Guest reyde_espana

my first was Druqs... i bought completely randomly... heard it in the car and really disliked it... it sat in my car for about 6 months... then i got it... when it clicked it really blew my mind...

is richard really the only one making such good electronic compositions??? cause i havent anyone get close... except maybe CLARK on body riddle...

first ever was the analogue bubblebath 4 CD. my friend brought it back from 2nd hand tunes in late 1994 early 1995... it blew my mind.

my cd collection prior to this renaissance:

- the sumpsons sing the blues

- mc hammer: please hammer don't hurt 'em

- def leppard: photograph

- def leppard: hysteria

and prolly some nirvana CDs/bootleg shows by then. i was dabbling into electronic music as my good influential friend got me into it, and when i heard cuckoo i deviated.

it was something i loved far more than anything else and really made me start to define ymself.

next RDJ purchase was a used copy of i care because you do for $7.99 or something... from there, well, i got the holy tape-dub of the joyrex j4/j5 records, along with another tape that had ndds-n-ends like HAB2, the mike flowers pops remix, pacman, some ab5 (very very rare back then in pre-napster days) etc

but aphex changed my life, really, hearing cuckoo at that impressionable age really made me just stand up and take notice... within a year or two i was introduced to squareoysher like "do you like drum and bass?"

nad well, i was like sure fuckyeah and then andy was like "buckle up"

so by the time i had all of this, the RDJ album came out stateside (i had besy buy hold it for me the day the truck came in), same with the come to daddy LP, and as i got HAB 1/2 and other stuff from theee olden aphex ftp, basically 26 mixes for cash plus oddities like melodies from mars, the q-chastic cut, and some life stuff... well, by then i was into the moment caught the 97 US tour (THANK GOD IT WAS ALL AGES. I WAS A WEEK INTO BEING 17)

so like, thats why i consider myself purebred electronic music: aphex twin and his subsequent disciples turned me intoan individual, altho its inherently wrong to say/admit that, without ab4 my life is ???? right now. hence why i adoped the inexplicably placed 37 on the back of the LP cover (it looks like 37H as its going out of frame) i picked htat as my # and have followed it ever since.

I AM THIRTYSEVEN.

and thirtyseven goes deeper than me:

- squarepusher's first rephlex release? dog 037 EP (squarepusher plays 12", which was the only reocrd missing from my stash when i got the collection back a couple'a weeks ago)

- boards of canada's aquarius: what # does the count-up go haywire at? you hear thirty six then when it's going to thirty seven it goes nuts. its beyond me

there's far moire im too arsed to remember i've got a girl coming out need to TOW DOWN on some slep (PLEASE JESUS PLEEEEEASE)

anyways hasta and i lvoe you staece!!

Guest tht! tne

rdj album really did affect my afx tastes

i can't help but prefer drilly stuff now

i don't think it'd've been different otherwise

i mean if i got saw1 first and progressed

i still like drill best out of all of his styles

for me after i got hard normal daddy it was ballin' out of control though

since then i've been full-bore into drillnbass

in 5 years everyone's 'story' about discovering something they really like will be something like:

"downloaded the entire discography in 5 minutes"

lol to that... Sheesh... sad but true...

Guest obstreperousartist

My first was the "Richard D. James" album. Now I'm kinda partial to "Windowlicker" and "Drukqs".

Guest yetihunter

Analog Bubblebath II was the first i heard + bought way back when.

Aboriginal Mix just blew me away, and the B-Sides are just beautiful aphex acid tracks

"And does it effect your Aphex tastes now?" yep, if it wasn't for this EP there would be no Aphex tastes now

Archived