IGNORED

The first Aphex album you had

Josso

I first borrowed Come to Daddy off my brother - he recommended it seeing as I was into some trance shit at the time. It was I guess what I was always looking for in my tastes and never managed to find before, all the complex little bits of it and the extreme contrast in the album and even within songs. I guess that kind of complexity are the bits I like the most in Aphex stuff and it makes sense considering that's what first brought me to his music.

Guest analord skywalker

Selected Ambient II. First track I ever heard of Aphex's was Disc 1 Track 2. John Peel played it in full while I was sat in my car waiting for my mates to fetch me a Burger King!

Can't say it influenced things too much though, although I prefer his ambient stuff to the more mental tracks. I think SAWII has been greatly surpassed since.

Windowlicker for me, can't remember what prompted me to listen to it at first, I think it was the cover and it was cheap in HMV. Then I sort of worked my way backwards, then drukqs, then chosen lords

Richard D James album. My first electronic music record ever. 4 and Fingerbib are still two of my fav songs ever. Still in my car mixer now.

first time i heard aphex twin was the song Power-Pill - Pac-Man (Heavy Mental Mix)on a cassette tape compilation i bought at salvation army called "only for the headstrong" (http://www.discogs.com/release/767762) . i had heard of aphex twin previously and the first album i bought of his was SAW II soon after it was released. I honestly wasnt very impressed by the ambient tracks, but the beat oriented tracks were ridiculously good. So i picked up I care Becasuse you do next, and i was fucking blown away. It was exactly the type of music i was looking for and totally changed my perspective on electronic music.

Guest analord skywalker
first time i heard aphex twin was the song Power-Pill - Pac-Man (Heavy Mental Mix)on a cassette tape compilation i bought at salvation army called "only for the headstrong" (http://www.discogs.com/release/767762) . i had heard of aphex twin previously and the first album i bought of his was SAW II soon after it was released. I honestly wasnt very impressed by the ambient tracks, but the beat oriented tracks were ridiculously good. So i picked up I care Becasuse you do next, and i was fucking blown away. It was exactly the type of music i was looking for and totally changed my perspective on electronic music.

Only for the Headstrong Volume II! I've got that on CD - some absolute classics on that. Egyptian Empire's Horn Track...DAAAAAA DU DAA DAAAAAAAAAA

Hmmmm.... Tricky... Officially ( and godDAMN I hate to admit this...) Girl/Boy song on the MTV Amp'd comp. Thing is, I just had the cd without the tracklisting so I didn't know that was him until later that year I just happened to buy the RDJ album from word of mouth and that was my favorite album until DRUKQS came out...

Guest transfer

first I heard the Meat Beat Manifesto remix, didn't think much of it.........then I saw a picture of AFX in an English music magazine and he looked cool...........then I bought Surfing On Sine Waves(1993) and was completely entranced by him and his music from then on.

selected ambient works 85-92

in 1992

it has affected my taste only in that it is the benchmark for all electronic albums since its release

i havent heard an electronic album since that has equalled it in magnitude

and i strongly doubt that i ever will

some of the next best things...

not in order

because ordered lists are for babies and music jurnalists

saw 2

tango n vectif

slag boom van loon

i care because you do

incunabula

surfing on sine waves

amber

spanners

feed me weird things

accelerator

rdj

bytes

music has the right to children

druqks

wasted sunday

cylobian sunset

the theory of evolution

I came home skunked one eve and my bro had left a promo copy of "I care because you do" in my room circa 1995. Also a copy of Spanners by Black Dog. Yeah so I popped her in and was blown away.

come to daddy in '97

read a really positive review of it in a music paper and i wanted to hear it (i knew a little about his music, had 'digeridoo' on a cd compilation). my x-girlfriend bought it for me on my birthday. my most played cd and still my favourite

Guest Renivatio

Ahh yes....the record that got me into Aphex Twin and electronic music in general was oddly enough, "26 Mixes For Cash." Already heard "Come To Daddy" and "Windowlicker," but the song that truly got me into him was "Journey (Aphex Twin Care Mix)." I thought and still think that it's one of his best songs he's ever done. After "26 Mixes" I got "SAW 85-92"...and that's where it got me to today. And that was only four years ago.

Guest analogue wings

SAW II in 94 or 95, and yes, I think it did, because I see everything before it as "techno" Aphex - I can see its historical importance, but its musical impact has been diluted a lot by all the wack imitators. Everything after SAW II, is mature, genre-trancending Aphex.

'Surfing On Sine Waves' was the first thing I listened to properly, round about the time it was released. I remember wondering why he wasn't called Aphex Twin anymore...

After I heard some tunes from the Classics compilation from my brother i asked if he wanted to get that vinyl on a cd-r, and so he did, and replacing the live digeridoo with "on". That track (but actually all of classics) got me very interested and then windowlicker was released and really did the trick. So in about 99' I think.

Guest Morgan Dunn

the first album i owned was i care because you do, and now i love the exact opposite aphex style...his choppy tripped out stuff...though the first aphex twin i ever listened to was bucephalus bouncing ball on a mix cd my friend gave me...that one song made me see electronic music completely differently, i hated it beforehand, but i heard that and instantly warmed up to the stuff

its a fuckin awesome song, after all

Archived