IGNORED

Parhelic Triangle

Guest Morgan

Guest Morgan

Do you think Autechre sampled Stria to make the tones in Parhelic Triangle, or did they generate those sounds themselves? Those bells sound an awful lot like the original...

(If you don't know what Stria is, it's a very old electronic piece which was the first to use a completely new musical scale, the notes layered to reflect their different possible combinations.)

Guest earlgrey
Do you think Autechre sampled Stria to make the tones in Parhelic Triangle, or did they generate those sounds themselves? Those bells sound an awful lot like the original...

(If you don't know what Stria is, it's a very old electronic piece which was the first to use a completely new musical scale, the notes layered to reflect their different possible combinations.)

Hey, yeah, they do sound quite similar .... for those of you who want to hear it, an edit of Stria is available on the excellent "OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music" compilation.

An excerpt from Amazon, but I don't think it's the part reminiscent of Parhelic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/...3678494-4416157

Never heard stria before. But I read in an interview that AE sample more than people might think. But what I do know is Parhelic Triangle is amazing.

Never heard stria before. But I read in an interview that AE sample more than people might think. But what I do know is Parhelic Triangle is amazing.

The trick is making people not realise it's a sample.

Guest earlgrey
Never heard stria before. But I read in an interview that AE sample more than people might think.

Interesting! I always assumed that, barring the occasional vocal sample ala Ccec, their music was pretty much all synthesised. I wonder if Gescom's Keynell percussion tracks actually sample rusty machinery .. haha ...

I was just looking too see if I could find that interview. Couldnt find it, but I did find one where they said that they used some analogue drum machines and sequencers on Confield. I never knew that.

Guest mushroom

in an interview about draft 7.30, they said something to the effect of "loads of sounds on the album were samples of us just chucking bits around in the garden" or something equally british

Guest Morgan

Distorting samples isn't hard through the magic and wonder of excessive, excessive flanging. Literally anything can sound like a lovely block of synthy goodness.

I can see Autechre using analogue stuff on Confield too...the tempo and programming of the drums changed alot less throughout each song, unlike something along the lines of Untitled, where songs would suddenly shift in bizarre directions and random bits of other drum loops would build up and then recede.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a direct sample. They seem to pay homage to musique concrete frequently, if you listen to the intros of alot of AE songs they're bits of the ambient sounds from ancient electronic music.

• 2 months later...

I always think of a dark horizon, maybe in the arctic when I listen to this. Funny enough, Parhelic Circles are formed as beams of sunlight is reflected by vertical hexagonal ice crystals.

800px-Halo_and_sun_dog_-_NOAA.jpg

:alien:

Never heard stria before. But I read in an interview that AE sample more than people might think.

Interesting! I always assumed that, barring the occasional vocal sample ala Ccec, their music was pretty much all synthesised. I wonder if Gescom's Keynell percussion tracks actually sample rusty machinery .. haha ...

autechre is good at making their samples sound like synthesizers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hahathhat

i'm always charmed to hear speak and ____ samples stitched in here and there. you'd miss 'em if you didn't know they were there

Archived