IGNORED

songs that ruin albums

chaosmachine

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest margaret thatcher
i didn't even know it was from willy wonka until a few weeks ago! how can you hate this song? it's quality. girl in the fire, on the other hand... i hate listening to that one. but through the loop? crazy build up. i love it.

i can't tell if you're a chav or a scarf wearing uni boy.

p.s. "the murder mystery" on the velvet underground's 3rd lp.

Tool -10,000 Days - Lost keys (blame hoffman) - the one with the doctor and nurse talking

3:46 of annoying wasted time

well apart from the lame voice samples... the only tool track i've ever liked!

That's what kills it for me. I enjoy the music but then the dialog comes in and kills the mood. I kind of wish tool would put out an ambient-ish album. It'd be hard to do that and call it tool though.

The Pendulum thing is like this. Being a "weak" track on that amazing album is still going to be a fantastic song in my opinion. It's just the willy wonka thing that kills it for me, I'm just being ridiculously critical for some reason. I was listening to the album while posting in this thread and the song came on and i was just like "fuck I don't like the sample". But it is still a good track, however without the sample there's not a whole lot giong on compared to other tracks on that album. I have a friend that spins dnb and he is latin and really into latin influenced music and he'll be doing this flawless dnb set and all of a sudden here's some salsa remix/mashup thing and I'm like "wtf" where'd the badass dnb go. Oh there's a sub bass and the typical 180 bpm bass drum/snare deal but its just a salsa song with that mixed in and I don't dig it, though I enjoy good salsa on it's own. But at the end of the night I will still dance to it and say he had an awesome set.

As far as tori amos and Me and a gun. Fred are you sure you're not thinking about the knife gun thing? I'm pretty sure that the song is really the account of when she was raped in her 20's BUt she later said that he didn't have a gun but he had a knife and she changed that for whatever reason. Here's an excerpt from an interview with her about it in the spoiler.

Tori's Survivor Story

"I'll never talk about it at this level again but let me ask you. Why have I survived that king of night, when other women didn't?

How am I alive to tell you this tale when he was ready to slice me up? In the song I say it was Me and a Gun but it wasn't a gun. It was a knife he had. And the idea was to take me to his friends and cut me up, and he kept telling me that, for hours. And if he hadn't needed more drugs I would have been just one more news report, where you see the parents grieving for their daughter. And I was singing hymns, as I say in the song, because he told me to. I sang to stay alive. Yet I survived that torture, which left me urinating all over myself and left me paralyzed for years. That's what that night was all about, mutilation, more than violation through sex.

I really do feel as though I was psychological mutilated that night and that now I'm trying to put the pieces back together again. Through love, not hatred. And through my music. My strength has been to open again, to life, and my victory is the fact that, despite it all, I kept alive my vulnerability."

PS - essines, I thought about it, but I don't think there's a single ween song that I don't like at least in some way. I know the track you're talking about. Ween's so broad they could do anything and I would just accept it. Example: piss up a rope. You ride my ass like a horse in a saddle. Now you're up shits creek with a turd for a paddle. If any other group other than maybe the bloodhound gang said that I'd be like "oh that's horrible, what crappy music". But it's ween so I accept it as normal. I don't know what it is.

This thread is so judgmental but I love it. We need to get trent reznor in here to destroy us w/ all with his bitchy opinions. Saul Williams called him the "king of emo" in a recent interview. lol. I'm sure he could fill up a book with how much he hates his own music.

'La La Love You' on Pixies' 'Doolittle'

CRAZY

------------------

for me I agree about Wannabe on Lunatic Harness...

Vacuum Gardens okay but disrupts the flow of hello everything I think.

"la la love you" and "make believe" are the only pixies songs i don't like.

good choices. There are a few bad tracks on Trompe le Monde too, I never could stand that "Bird Dreaming of the Olympus Mons" one.

There are a few bad tracks on Trompe le Monde too, I never could stand that "Bird Dreaming of the Olympus Mons" one.

Aye, that's pretty shite as well. The odd duffers were every bit as bad as the majority of their songs were brilliant.

How about "broadest" not worst.

I like what I like, you like what you like. There's not much that I won't listen to. Being a musician my whole life has taught me to appreciate all and everything from any part of the world. 60% of the time I listen to classical music, and could care less what cd has just come out in stores unless it's a never before recorded concerto from 1577.

A lot of my favorite music now is music I didn't like when I was younger b/c I lacked the insight to branch out and was afraid to say I liked something that was "outdated" or didn't reflect my thoughts or emotions at the time. But then I grew up and witnessed some of the most brilliant composers (from the past) works still being reflected in today's society through whatever means. Covers, commercials, plays, movies, ballets, etc. And said "if this stuff is what has lived on then that is what I've been missing out on". True musical talent. Not who has the devil fish modded 303, or plays guitar the loudest, can run the most scales the fastest, pound the drums the hardest, or who writes the most meaningful lyrics. It's who brings the emotion out through their compositions and can build a relateable experience.

When I hear A symphony by Tchaikovsky I can feel the pain he went through loosing his lover to suicide. I feel the emotion through the music. Not a lyric that says "my boyfriend killed himself".

Sure I like a lot of stuff that you may regard as "crap", but I'm pretty sure you'd find plenty of things you enjoy within my vast music collection. So if there is stuff that is within my own tastes that you also enjoy (which I am certain there is), then you have in fact only insulted yourself. :)

Dntel - Life is Full of Possibilities... I don't remember the track name... but it's the last track... that track didn't fit... i didn't quite like it!

Guest serpico009
Chemlab - East Side Militia - Suture: Latex - Really could've done without this song. Otherwise one of my fav albums.

I thought Latex was the really fast freakout track on that record? Maybe that's "Electric Molecular"...

Anyway, I would've picked that spoken word track "Pink", it's a listen-once and skip kinda thing...

I didn't realize until recently that "Exile on Mainline" mashes up a sample from Heat with a sample of Warren Oates...

Archived