IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

i hope you guys aren't starting with kafka on the shore when you read murakami. it's probably his worst novel...

reading THE GOLDFINCH by donna tartt. so far so good. little clunky on the style side, but i'm into it.

Kafka on the Shore was fantastic! Also my first Murakami novel and it sucked me right into his world

I recommend Dance Dance Dance. It's the sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase but you can begin wherever you want.

The wind up bird chronicle is a great murakami.

I don't have a frame of reference (considering I haven't read any of his others work), but I found it a very engaging novel to read.

Edited by Guest

Kafka on the Shore was fantastic! Also my first Murakami novel and it sucked me right into his world

I recommend Dance Dance Dance. It's the sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase but you can begin wherever you want.

The wind up bird chronicle is a great murakami.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite so far.

36321.jpg

plenty of obscure words and references to look up. great prose, dense with charged ideas. some real cool stories, too.

Fuck yeah!

Love me a bit of Lovecraft. Inspired me to dig some out, haven't actually read any in years.

I do fall asleep to this most nights though:

http://youtu.be/dSsZbfTOMHk

36321.jpg

plenty of obscure words and references to look up. great prose, dense with charged ideas. some real cool stories, too.

I have the same book. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath is pretty out there. :) "An Indiana Jones story written by Kafka on acid" is one of the descriptions I've heard. Which is kind of accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wasp_Factory

The Wasp Factory

The first bit is actually kind of relaxing and calm in its isolation which juxtaposes the mad stories the main character tells.

'It is written from a first person perspective, told by sixteen-year-old Frank Cauldhame, describing his childhood and all that remains of it. Frank observes manyshamanistic rituals of his own invention, and it is soon revealed that Frank was the perpetrator of three deaths of children within his family before he reached the age of ten himself. As the novel develops, his brother's escape from a mental hospital and impending return...'

I wouldn't read much more on the page.

36321.jpg

Anyone play Fallout 3? I guess they reference HP Lovecraft a bunch, specifically The Dunwich Horror (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thedunwichhorror.htm).

Has anyone read The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton? I've learned to ignore the Booker Prize lately, but this actually sounds decent.

My wife is reading it presently and likes it quite a bit. From what she's said about it I'll prob check it out when she's done.

Cool, I'll add it to the list.

this was really good. it's like a victorian mystery novel with an intriguing presence of the mystical. her prose is very cool and detailed, which combined with the very long first half of the book may feel somewhat plodding. however, the pacing is very deliberate and as the book starts to gets moving one is grateful for her cool, clear writing. this could easily have been botched by a heavier hand, one more easily tempted to indulge in the fantastic.

definitely recommend it, it's quite a compelling story, very tightly woven and there is just the right touch of un-resolution throughout. the structure of the book really lends itself to a quick reading, despite its length.

lush/10

I am currently halfway through Heretics of Dune: where God Emperor of Dune was just really dense and confusing to grasp at times, I am really liking the pace of this book at the moment: Yeh, there, again, were a lot of made up words, which annoyed me at the beginning of the book, but now that I am in the go, I am digging it.

Odrade and Waff just made their alliance, and poor Tuek lies dead in their midst.

Also digging the chapter breaks: those little stories seem so relevant!

Slogging through Pynchon's Bleeding Edge and almost finished with Vol. 1 of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol.

Bleeding Edge is lush, bruv

What do you think of Doom Patrol? I think it's second only to Animal Man as far as Morrison goes.

Has anyone read The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton? I've learned to ignore the Booker Prize lately, but this actually sounds decent.

My wife is reading it presently and likes it quite a bit. From what she's said about it I'll prob check it out when she's done.

Cool, I'll add it to the list.

this was really good. it's like a victorian mystery novel with an intriguing presence of the mystical. her prose is very cool and detailed, which combined with the very long first half of the book may feel somewhat plodding. however, the pacing is very deliberate and as the book starts to gets moving one is grateful for her cool, clear writing. this could easily have been botched by a heavier hand, one more easily tempted to indulge in the fantastic.

definitely recommend it, it's quite a compelling story, very tightly woven and there is just the right touch of un-resolution throughout. the structure of the book really lends itself to a quick reading, despite its length.

lush/10

Excellent, I'm already up 110th on the library waiting list for this! It'll be my fav read of 2015.