IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

what's that book about?

From a review, it seems to be something like a "choose your own adventure" type book about two neurologists who are going to do a mental examination of a person who is hearing a voice telling them what to do and the voice is sort of the main character. I like the look of that book.

The name of the author is funny considering his last name could be translated as "over-witty", which seems to be appropriate for that type of book.

Edited by azatoth

Yeah, it's a pretty surreal choose your own adventure book with lots of references to other works and real life thrown around. The main character has some pretty hard mental health problems and the story spins out of control lots of times.

Speaking about non-English books, the Finns here might enjoy this book. It's pretty IDMz.

That looks like a beautiful language. Would it be difficult to learn ?

Isn't that where Tolkien derived his Elvish from ?

If you know Estonian or some more obscure Finno-Ugric-languages close to Finnish it might be not very hard. Otherwise it's considered one of the most difficult languages to learn, especially the grammar. Also some of the old vocabulary is probably pretty odd, like "sun"->"aurinko".

Now, if you want to use the word aurinko it might get tricky..

"from the sun" -> "auringosta"

"also from the sun" -> "auringostakin"

"also to our sun" -> "aurinkoommekin"

"not even from our sun" -> "auringostakaammekaan"

etc..

:cisfor:

etc..

wat

as Marko explains:

english language is carbitch

finnish language is best mechanix

my life is new page

i talk only Eheheheeehenglish

noooooooo

when i talk english you click off that channel
if you like my video you poosh bootton that is uh
that is like a finger
yes
what is that called ahhhhhhh
yes
[edit: I wish I could learn Finnish. I have Finnish family people and would like to go to Finland but fuck is it hard without being completely immersed in it.]
Edited by baph

Finished the second book of Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief trilogy, The Fractal Prince, and the series is probably one of the best sci-fi yarns I've read. A mind-melting future Solar system that doesn't get revealed with too much exposition, where you have to keep track what is going on and the future technology allows one to think of the fascinating implications it has on the mind, memory and consciousness. Reading the second part improved the first part as well and I am looking forward to the third part planned for 2014. While some of the characters are pretty common tropes, like the gentleman thief and warrior woman, it doesn't really matter since the setting is so wild. And I even felt smart for guessing a few plot points before they were revealed.

Next up is a dip into Bruce Sterling's Shaper/Mechanists universe with the book Schismatrix Plus, which has the novel and all the short stories placed in that world. I am on a transhuman bend it seems.

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman

fucking hilarious, he's probably my fav TV actor now that Breaking Bad is over. Can see him becoming a major comedic movie star. Plus he's a professional carpenter, so triple threat.

Edited by Rubin Farr

Finished the second book of Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief trilogy, The Fractal Prince, and the series is probably one of the best sci-fi yarns I've read. A mind-melting future Solar system that doesn't get revealed with too much exposition, where you have to keep track what is going on and the future technology allows one to think of the fascinating implications it has on the mind, memory and consciousness. Reading the second part improved the first part as well and I am looking forward to the third part planned for 2014. While some of the characters are pretty common tropes, like the gentleman thief and warrior woman, it doesn't really matter since the setting is so wild. And I even felt smart for guessing a few plot points before they were revealed.

Next up is a dip into Bruce Sterling's Shaper/Mechanists universe with the book Schismatrix Plus, which has the novel and all the short stories placed in that world. I am on a transhuman bend it seems.

You've me intrigued. Noted and on my list.

GBOBFull.jpg

Haha, ah man, I am totally back in the game for drinking belgium beer. Currently drinking some delicious 'Gulden Draak'. Is that in there?

Good one.

Yesterday i read "This is Water" for starters (never read Wallace before).

Now i cant decide wether to finish some epic fantasy stuff (i really want to finish "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson, but for me it is a bit of a PITA to read in english), or just start with "Infinite Jest" (which is translated).

I think i will delay reading Erikson again ;)

So after downing some beers last night, I decided that I should start reading a 5th book.

Enjoy IJ. Take it slow. Use two bookmarks and read ALL the footnotes - they make for an amazing experience. And stick with it through the boring parts. It took me forever to read, but was well worth it.

*endnotes , excuse me!

And "This is Water" isn't too representative of most of his work if that wasn't obvious. It reminds me more of some of his interviews actually.

I prefer the live recording of the "this is water" commencement speech too.

Edited by feartherush

Just started reading 'S.' by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst. I'm only one chapter in, but it's absolutely fantastic. It's made to look and smell like an old library book and comes in a fancy-looking slipcase, and it has props, like handwritten notes, newspaper clippings, etc, to flesh out the story. It's two stories at once, similar to House of Leaves, but much easier to follow and there are clear cues as to when to stop reading the story and start reading the notes (which comprise a conversation between two people who are communicating by passing the book back and forth, attempting to solve the mystery of who the author of the mysterious book which comprises the main, regular text). Very interesting and well worth reading, I think.

81OI0iu8gjL._SL1500_.jpg

Has anybody here managed to get through House of Leaves?

Edited by Sprigg

Read that fucker multiple times. Actually might be due for a reread as the last time was years ago.

Still not read Only Revolutions, despite buying it immediately post-publishing.

it's a bit hard on the wrists maybe but not particularly difficult

22602d1295542565-sleeping-under-full-moo

it's a bit hard on the wrists maybe but not particularly difficult

22602d1295542565-sleeping-under-full-moo

herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif

Not trying to be a douchebag. I quite liked it. It's fun. It requires active participation from the reader, and some ability to be ok with ambiguity, which I guess really pushes it for most readers. It's a decent formal puzzle. Some parts are gorgeous and very effective.

The prose itself is not particularly difficult. The book shows you how to read it. It's more Stephen King rewriting Pale Fire than late-period Joyce... rewriting Pale Fire. Johnny's voice gets a bit Kathe Koja at times, I guess. There's nothing wrong with any of that. But it's a lot less difficult than people make it out to be. Fuck, I'm trying to defend it by saying it's not a "task," that's all.

Edited by baph