IGNORED

Autechre in Abletom Live

Guest Hanratty

Guest Hanratty

Hello,

I'm new here. Been an Ae fan for some time, but with renewed vigor since Quaristice. I was wondering if any of you have spent any time warping AE tracks in Ableton Live. In my experience some tracks are easy, others are pretty hard to do. I thought it might be cool to trade the little .asd files for Ae tracks. You wouldn't have to trade any audio files, but if two people happened to have the same track, they could quickly d/l the asd file and bring it into Ableton for mixing. What do you think?

Guest Hanratty
you did not understand the guy, he means : warping in ableton = selecting the dynamics of a track and and sync it to a tempo to mix with other tracks

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for not being clear on that. But actually, after some practice, it's not that hard to warp most AE tracks. It's just the stuff after LP5 that is hard/impossible to beatmatch.

it's not too hard really, 99% of autechre tracks have some kind of structured tempo, and once you've figured that out, it's really easy. gantz graf for example, it sounds like it's glitching all over the place, and it is, but it has a very solid tempo.

Guest exper
it's not too hard really, 99% of autechre tracks have some kind of structured tempo, and once you've figured that out, it's really easy. gantz graf for example, it sounds like it's glitching all over the place, and it is, but it has a very solid tempo.

Plus, you have to be aware of whats in 6/8 or other odd time sigs. for instance, the really amazing melody of Dropp is 6/8. There's also been some 5/4 as well...

Plus, you have to be aware of whats in 6/8 or other odd time sigs. for instance, the really amazing melody of Dropp is 6/8. There's also been some 5/4 as well...

yes, these signatures are most unusual...

perhaps, but the general tempo is pretty standard. mixing 5/4 against 4/4 with the same tempo will just make the bars repeat unevenly, which could be a cool effect. i guess it's another story if you wanted the bars to be even, but then they'd sound odd because you'd have 5 beats playing in the same space as the 4 beats from the other song.. again probably an interesting effect.

Hello,

I'm new here. Been an Ae fan for some time, but with renewed vigor since Quaristice. I was wondering if any of you have spent any time warping AE tracks in Ableton Live. In my experience some tracks are easy, others are pretty hard to do. I thought it might be cool to trade the little .asd files for Ae tracks. You wouldn't have to trade any audio files, but if two people happened to have the same track, they could quickly d/l the asd file and bring it into Ableton for mixing. What do you think?

Legendary Ableton mix by DJ VLR of Autechre, AFX and Squarepusher

Is It Washable?

washable.jpg

(

direct download)

Definitely one of the very best Autechre mixes I've heard.

Guest DavBrav

this is an interesting task. For most pre-LP5 tracks, as you mentioned, it's not so hard. I haven't really worked with Ae tracks in Ableton, but I'd suggest finding the section of a track where the beat is the strongest, isolating that, tapping out the rhythm, then rounding what you have to the nearest even BPM. Of course, given that it's Autechre, there's no guarantee that it's going to be an even BPM.

There are some tracks where this isn't going to be easy / possible. Take "fold4, wrap5" for instance. As you'll no doubt notice, the phrases repeatedly slow down. You try focusing on the wider rhythm of how often the phrases repeat, but it's not going to sound consistent if you're trying to mix it with something that is more beat locked. Further, something like "VI Scose Poise" is going to be pretty much impossible, as the track lacks any sort of beat to speak of.

Also, as other users have mentioned, many of their LP5 and beyond tracks are not in 4/4. I actually think you'll have an easier time with some of the material from Quaristice, given that much of the beat-oriented pieces are shorter and have a more direct structure. " "The Plc", for example, has a pretty clear 4/4 beats. Things get trickier with a track like "IO", where there's a beat, but they mess it up at some intervals.

Some of the difficulty you're having might be because you're relying on Ableton's beat detection, and then trying to edit from there. Ae tracks have percussive sounds all over the place, so it's a safe bet Ableton won't be able to find the right beat. Easiest to just start from scratch.

Okay, so in the time it's taken me to make this post, I popped "The Plc" into Ableton, and using the tapping method I recommended, found its BPM to be about 144 (or 72, I'm not sure EXACTLY where the "1" is here). To prove how nicely it works, I even recorded a brief clip of it mixed with Supermayer's "Saturndays", a track with a tight beat lock. You can listen to it here. The upload is an m4a - not great quality, I know, but it's very late and I don't care to spend the time to make a short demonstration file sound pristine. I did a little EQ on each track to make it fit better - bass is down on Ae, high is killed and mid is down on Supermayer. You know, this doesn't sound so terrible, and that's only 5 minutes of work. Perhaps with a little tweaking, a mashup could happen...SuperQuaristice!

Also, I should add, I know how some of you guys get when people mess with Autechre, so please don't jump down my throat because I mess with an Ae file.

Guest acridavid
Hello,

Is It Washable?

(

direct download)

Wow, enjoying this mix at the moment. I didn't know something like this was around. Thanks.

Guest Hanratty

Wow, that "is it washable" mix looks just like what I'm trying to do. I guess all the good ideas have been taken.

I realize messing with Ae tracks might irk some people. But for me it's just an extension of being a fan of their music, and I come to appreciate their tracks more.

One thing i discovered was that most of ep7 can be beatmatched, and sounds awesome mixed with almost anything.

Guest TheSlicker

warping autechre tracks in ableton is really hard, no good results except for few tracks...

too difficult tempo i think.

Guest punk data

perhaps, but the general tempo is pretty standard. mixing 5/4 against 4/4 with the same tempo will just make the bars repeat unevenly, which could be a cool effect. i guess it's another story if you wanted the bars to be even, but then they'd sound odd because you'd have 5 beats playing in the same space as the 4 beats from the other song.. again probably an interesting effect.

THX Fredd-E for this wonderful share

Enjoying this so much

Cheers

Guest punk data
Hello,

Legendary Ableton mix by DJ VLR of Autechre, AFX and Squarepusher

Is It Washable?

washable.jpg

(

direct download)

Definetly some massive mixes

THX once again for share

Guest vlari

not to discourage anyone having troubles with warping ae-tunes, but only a handful of tunes caused grief, the rest was piss easy. for the mix linked in a post above, i warped every ae track i had, and just picked and mixed from that pile

not to discourage anyone having troubles with warping ae-tunes, but only a handful of tunes caused grief, the rest was piss easy. for the mix linked in a post above, i warped every ae track i had, and just picked and mixed from that pile

yeah, it's not that hard, really!

Archived