IGNORED

Richard & Drugs

Guest Kicks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His comments on sampling are really interesting, he is a lot less hypocritical about the subject than most other artists. I remember listening to the BBC radio 3 show in which RDJ said he thought Oval's first album was just skipped samples of SAWII. He also said he liked it and could not figure out whether Oval thought his work was rubbish or brilliant.

I don't think there is too much to gain from listening to RDJ's music under the use of drugs, especially hallucinogens, because his music is just that fucking amazing anyway. I know that sounds like a typical fanboy comment, but seriously, think of how much jam bands suck (Phish, Grateful Dead come to mind) and how many of their fans are potheads. Or the whole goa and psy-trance scene and their legions of neo-hippie listeners taking DMT and acid. Drug use has inspired great music. Terrible music has been enjoyed through great drugs. I think the former notion is more relevent to RDJ.

As far as my own experience, it has been mixed. I've listened to dub smoking weed and enjoyed it tremendously. But I also listened to BoCs "Happy Cycling" while on salvia and found myself thinking I and every other human being were really chickens. That's all I'll say about that.

Guest Iain C

can't be arsed to read the thread so if this has been posted already forgive me

"I never wanted to big up any drugs, because I don't reckon they deserve it. It's just something that you choose to do. I probably come across as, like, 'Yeah, acid and weed are amazing.' But I don't think that at all, really. And if I did, I wouldn't want to say it in an interview. Plus, I'm never under the influence of drugs when I make music. Whenever I have been, it's always been totally rubbish. It's a real disciplined thing, making music. When you're tripping, you're just fucked. You could never get it together to make a track. When I'm stoned, I go to bed."

Archived