IGNORED

Richard & Drugs

Guest Kicks

So I have a question for all of you. I love Aphex Twin sober, drunk or high. His music is always appealing to me. One question that seems to avoid me is Richard's experience with drugs. I've seen pictures of him smoking weed, but what about the psychedelic end of the spectrum - has he cited any drug influence for any of his songs?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Richard D James writes all his music under the influence of Dimenhydrinate

If that were true, I have a new found respect for him. :rolleyes:

mike and rich was made on mushrooms. that's about it i think

I find it hard to believe that he can come up with some of his stuff without the aid of a mind-altering substance.

every1 is dum until u smoke sum weeds Lol

Didn't you know? Durgs make you smarter and more musically capable!

/sarcasm

besides of that, the tuss is like an anti-drug production demo. i mean, how could one seriously reach this level of production quality on drugs? the guy is dead sober i'll tell you

I would say for the most part yes. He says that he doesn't prefer to make music when he's fucked up, but he's definitely gotten fucked up from time to time! I'm sure he's done tracks under the influence, and I'm sure most of those will never be heard. I just read the interview from 94 or so in the seconds magazine where the reporter asks him about 5 questions directly related to drugs and music. I'll try and post part of that article later possibly.

I find it hard to believe that he can come up with some of his stuff without the aid of a mind-altering substance.

He's creative and talented?

I would say for the most part yes. He says that he doesn't prefer to make music when he's fucked up, but he's definitely gotten fucked up from time to time! I'm sure he's done tracks under the influence, and I'm sure most of those will never be heard. I just read the interview from 94 or so in the seconds magazine where the reporter asks him about 5 questions directly related to drugs and music. I'll try and post part of that article later possibly.

Please do share that article, I would greatly appreciate it! :laughing:

He's creative and talented?

Obviously. But with such a huge fanbase also involved in rave/dance scenes you can't help but wonder what's going on over on his side.

Guest hahathhat

everyone should keep in mind that, without the right person to ingest them, drugs would just be some stuff sitting on a table. on the other hand, people often have trouble reaching their potential au natural.... anyways:

amphetamines increase knob-twiddling ability

marijuana helps creativity overall

booze helps you relax

lsd, mushrooms remind you why you bother in the first place

dxm kicks up the fidelity and keeps your body from being a distraction

wouldn't know what salvia does.

at the end of the day - sip rather than gulp, just as in anywhere else. some things are good all the time (as long as you don't overdo it). other things are good to do occasionally. still more things are best tried once or twice.

i have a feeling Richard has tried just about anything non-dangerous you could imagine, and probably then some. he seems to constantly switch setups, rigs - keep himself stimulated, try different things, come at it from a different angle. why not with drugs? computer and adderall today, modular and weed tomorrow... then a week later, he plays both back and sees what he prefers, uses those results to decide what next.

at this point, i could see Richard being in full jedi mode, not really using much of anything because he doesn't need it any more... unlike his earlier days, when he was likely permastoned.

i wager he still likes his grass, and plenty of it, but he's probably eased off on whatever else.

(disclaimer: i'm an idiot on the internet, if you take what i say as fact, well, get off the fucking internet)

p.s. this interview is one of the best windows into his mind i've seen

http://www.space-age-bachelor.com/features/99/aphex.htm

I know of a sample that appears in the KNDD 107.7 recording and maybe some other places that RDJ did but it went something like this:

ID JUST LIKE TO TAKE THE TIME TO INFORM THAT NOW YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF TAKING HEROIN

IF YOURE OFF YOUR FACE ON PILLS RIGHT I NOW I FUCKING HATE YOU YOU CUNT

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THE LONG TERM CONSEQUENCES OF THE DRUGS THAT YOU ARE TAKING LIKE BRAIN DAMAGE, LONG-TERM DEPRESS, YOU STUPID FUCKING WANKER.

CAN'T BE BOTHERED WITH SHIT ANYMORE. BYE.

I had read on a previous occasion that he's a good Chess player. In the age of information overload, it seems like one of the hardest things I can imagine doing. "Well, I don't know if I'm good," he confesses, "But compared to someone who's shit, I'm good. I love it. I can get right into it. Concentration's not a problem. As long as I'm somewhere nice, and not distracting. I can't play Chess with the TV on. That's well fucking irritating. But I can play it when I'm listening to music. I'm rubbish when I'm stoned though. I just make really crap mistakes."

Halfway through the interview, I confess to being low on questions. So he asks me a question. (Something I'll always remember and respect about interviewing Luke Vibert is that when my mind blanked halfway through, he filled in for me by just talking about various things he was doing, while I tried to think up more questions.) The interviewer becomes the respondent. "You haven't got any weed have you?" No. "Can you buy it in Vancouver?" Oh yeah, you can buy it. "Can you get it in cafes and stuff like that?" No, it's not like Amsterdam or something. "Oh someone told me you could do that in some cafes." Well, maybe some cafes have some illegal operations. "Yeah, we had to put all ours in a Phillies Blunt last night before we went through customs -- you know, when you empty out a cigar, and fill it full of grass. So that's it. We burned it all up." So you're looking for some more? "Yeah, I wouldn't mind. I'd love a spliff right now actually. I've got a hangover from last night." You should make someone give it to you on stage. "Yeah, I've done that before actually. I did it Detroit actually, because I didn't have any gear. So I said at the end of the set, "If anyone's got any gear, bring it to our bus, because we want a smoke.' But I forgot to say we wanted to buy some, so there was like 80 people outside the bus saying, "Do you want to have a spliff with us?' And I couldn't really have a joint with like 80 people one by one on the bus. So I was just like, "Well, I just wanted to buy some for me and my mates,' but I did get some in the end, so it was pretty good."

Aphex agrees. "Oh yeah, don't do anything creative with drugs. It's just a bit of escape, like a laugh. I like to be totally straight, when I do my music, so I can think about what I'm doing. I don't like being stoned. And I could never do stuff pissed. Well, I've done some stuff pissed. I did some stuff with Mike Paradinas -- the Mike and Rich album -- most of that was done drunk and on acid, as well." I never heard of that album. "Yeah, it was a bit messy."

Guest chelsea303
I know of a sample that appears in the KNDD 107.7 recording and maybe some other places that RDJ did but it went something like this:

ID JUST LIKE TO TAKE THE TIME TO INFORM THAT NOW YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF TAKING HEROIN

IF YOURE OFF YOUR FACE ON PILLS RIGHT I NOW I FUCKING HATE YOU YOU CUNT

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THE LONG TERM CONSEQUENCES OF THE DRUGS THAT YOU ARE TAKING LIKE BRAIN DAMAGE, LONG-TERM DEPRESS, YOU STUPID FUCKING WANKER.

CAN'T BE BOTHERED WITH SHIT ANYMORE. BYE.

Thats from 'Generation Shit' by Chaos AD, nothing to do with the afx....

Maybe he keeps a given level of drugs in his system while making a record and varies this level between albums, or better yet organises tracks by the state he was in when he made them, releasing when he has enough good ones for a given level of intoxication. It could explain a few things. And Drukqs could have been an experiment where he made half of it completely straight and the other half on a minimum of 50 Valium.

Seriously, he would probably be unwilling to release shite tracks so if he made anything while fucked up you'd think he'd have the sense to at least give them a listen when sobered up and tweak/discard as needed.

Guest hahathhat
Maybe he keeps a given level of drugs in his system while making a record and varies this level between albums, or better yet organises tracks by the state he was in when he made them, releasing when he has enough good ones for a given level of intoxication. It could explain a few things. And Drukqs could have been an experiment where he made half of it completely straight and the other half on a minimum of 50 Valium.

i've long suspected this might have something to do with all his aliases. norman cook (fatboy slim) claimed he uses his aliases that way. pizzaman was when he was on grass, for example. what i always loved was, when the interviewer inevitably asked: "so what's fatboy slim, then?" norman cook answered: "oh, i think of him as somebody's drunk uncle..." or something like that.

he also said fatboy slim track process is to go into the studio with a handle of vodka around 11pm, and come out when the track is done.

Archived