IGNORED

share one amazing (true) fact about yourself

Plum

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the japan part makes it even more interesting.

it is amazing though, because i heard that a melon costs 20 bucks in japan (and that was like 10 years ago)

the japan part makes it even more interesting.

it is amazing though, because i heard that a melon costs 20 bucks in japan (and that was like 10 years ago)

Isn't that only the square ones?

Guest SecondaryCell

I introduced Chris Vrenna to Trent Reznor.

Chris was the drummer in my band and Trent was a friend. I was making a road trip to a music store in Niles, Ohio (New York Music) with Chris and I asked Trent to come along. The rest is history... this was sometime in '85 or '86.

Do you want the long version or the short version?

Short version:

My passport and wallet got jacked, I met some nice people and shit got sorted out

Long version:

I was doing my very first visa run from Korea. I was doing a visa run because when I was working in Korea on a tourist visa. I had to do the tourist run every 3 months because I was traveling on my British Passport. I was traveling on my British passport because I spent the money that I should have used to get my Canadian passport on booze and drugs (Canadians get a 6 month tourist visa here in Korea). So anyways, I was doing my first visa run. Luckily one of my friends also had to do a visa run around the same time, so we went over to Fukuoka (which is on the southern island of Kyushu) together. This was in early 97, I guess the end of January or so, and it was a civilized time when you could smoke on JAL international flights. My friend and I were sitting in the back smoking and drinking when an American ex-pat ex-GI struck up a conversation with us, his name was Elliot I believe, although that's hazy...

Anyhow, Elliot was a pleasant guy, he'd been in Korea for a few years at that point due to his Korean wife. We disembarked together and headed into downtown Fukuoka. Elliot had been there a couple of times so he kind of knew his way around. We grabbed some dinner at the top of some department store (hint: if you're ever hungry and don't know where to look for food, all department stores in Korea/Japan will have a floor (usually near the top) that's dedicated to restaurants, the food is usually pretty good and fairly reasonably priced) and a couble of beers with dinner (Japanese people love their beer, at Fukuoka airport you can get a "morning beer set" from a couple of the restaurants). My friend and I had been drinking pretty steadily for about 6 or 7 hours by this point, so we were ripe to go out. I must stop here and point out that as this was a visa run and our return flight was the next day, we didn't have any bags or other encumbrances.

Elliot on the other hand was staying for a couple of days, so we got him checked into a capsule hotel and then we went out and hit a few bars. Of course being noobs we were pretty much stuck with the gaijin bars but they were fun enough for a night out. We started out at some place called "Rumours" and had a few drinks there as a "warm-up" (although we were plenty warm by that point). It was around midnight when we decided to head out to a different place, something a little more lively. We found a bar/club called "The Dark Room" and were having a great time. Around 4 in the morning I started to get a little sleepy so I took a nap sitting at the bar (it's a euphemism for passed out). It was hot in the place so I had taken off my jacket, which was a sweet pull-over style athletic top with a kangaroo pouch in the front. The kangaroo pouch had my wallet, passport, and return ticket. My friend went out to get some more cigarettes and Elliot was long gone, so there was no one left to watch my back. While my friend was out, someone must have stolen my jacket (I suspect a US navy grunt to this day) and then taken off. So fuck right? I mean what the fuck.

Obviously the first thing to do is go to the police and report this. We manage to get this done while stil being incredibly drunk (Police in Asia are used to dealing with drunk white people, so it wasn't as difficult as I feared). After that it was back to the airport to report the plane ticket stolen, the airline was very cool about it and they said when I got a new passport to go in and they would sort me out with a return ticket. Then it was time to take a long ass nap on the subway, which was achieved with great success.

It was now Sunday and it was time to go back to the bars and try and ask the bartenders if anyone had seen the jacket. No success. My friend checked himself into a capsule motel to get some zzzs, I wandered the streets of Fukuoka with about 10 bucks in my pocket. I ate something from a Hokka Hokka, which is a place that sells lunchbox sets for really cheap. Smoked a bunch of cigarettes. Looked forlorn.

Went back to the bars to see if anybody had seen anything. Still no luck, but I did manage to meet a Canadian guy who was living with 3 Japanese dudes. He said I could stay at his place until shit got sorted out. So that was pretty sweet. Sorted out, my friend could go back to Korea without feeling guilty, and he left me 20 bucks for necessities (beer and smokes).

Monday came and I went to the British consulate, although they don't actually have a consulate in Fukuoka, they have an Honorary British Consulate, who is some Japanese dude that works in a bank. They got my details, and told me it would take 3-4 weeks. So I was very thankful and then went to the police station where I had reported the crime to see if they had any leads. No luck. Went back to the first bar "Rumours" to meet that Canadian guy who I was staying with (his name is Jean, so I shall refer to him by that name from now on). Jean introduced me to the owner of the bar, Alex. He was a Japanese-American from Hawaii. Coincidentally, he also owned the other bar "The Dark Room" where my jacket got taken. Alex felt sorry for me, so he gave me a job DJing and tending the bar. It was easy and fun, but only paid in free beer (which was pretty good, but I still needed food). Anyways, at least it was a start.

One of the Japanese guys that Jean was living with had just started his own moving company, so he needed work occasionally. I worked for him on and off and he paid pretty well, 10,000 yen for a day's work (about 100 dollars), mostly cause i think he also felt sorry for me. So I did that about 3 times a week while I was there. Spent that money on food. Working at the bar at nights kept me in good beer terms, so that was fine. On the first Thursday I was working there I met a cute Japanese girl. she worked in a hostess bar (one of the tamer ones where she had to basically sit with drunk businessmen and drink watered down drinks and be nice to them, not one of the SM bars or anything like that) and she spoke decent English, certainly much better than my Japanese. She was taken with me I guess, cause after our first date on the Saturday she said I could stay at her place.

-an aside- I guess it helped that our first date was at the Blue Note Fukuoka where i was on the guest list for Michael Brecker. I had met the pianist at the bar and we were talking, I mentioned that I was from Edmonton, he mentioned he'd been there for the jazz fest, I mentioned the fact that I dabbled in the jazz piano and he said "why don't you come to the show, bring a friend if you want to". So I took her and I thinki that impressed her, cause the Blue Note is pretty expensive and a swanky place. -aside finished-

So I stayed at her place for the final 2 weeks which was umm really good lol. So after 2 weeks of that and the bar and the occasional moving gig I finally got my passport and headed back to Seoul. I'm still friends with that Japanese guy who has the moving company (he's rich as sin now) and his wife. I saw that Japanese girl a couple more times (once in Fukuoka, once in Seoul) but that kind of petered out...

So yeah it was a really interesting introduction to Asia. LOL.

TL;DR?

Guest MajaIloveyou

I imagined something more outrageous, and well you had food and beer, "20 bucks to my name" makes it sound like you were on the street starving. plus the whole incident could have been avoided, not that the guy who stole it wasnt a bastard but cmon.

Very nice story anyway.

I said I was stranded with 20 bucks. Not that I had to spend the whole 3 weeks with only 20 dollars.

Plus how could the whole incident have been avoided?

it's the lack of safety net that makes stuff like that interesting.

i once woke up in a shelter on a beach in holland to a load of joggers stretching their legs, and fell back asleep

when i woke up again there was NLG25 weighed down by a rock in front of my nose

i actually wasn't short on money, i just didn't want to give it to the cokehead fuck running the campsite.

yeah list the ways.

Wait so I just want to get this straight...you would have been more impressed if I had just spent the three weeks eating ramen instead of trying to look after myself?

Guest MajaIloveyou
yeah list the ways.

Wait so I just want to get this straight...you would have been more impressed if I had just spent the three weeks eating ramen instead of trying to look after myself?

First and pretty obvious not getting drunk.

No, its still impressive how your social skills saved you, but the story loses impact when you read how you got drunk, fell asleep and had your things stolen, that's more facepalm than impressive.

Archived