IGNORED

A real picture of Richards studio!

o00o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat
whoever it belongs to, wish they'd post more pics. i love looking at stuff like that. car people have car shows all over, where do synth people congregate off the internets???

rdj probably buys this stuff cause he can't drive. or else he'd buy a Ferrari right?

if the world were not so cruel i'd have a ferrari 575m. rdj might too... but not because of funds. in an interview, asked if he'd ever considered getting a helicoptre, he said

"Yeah, but I'm not going to buy one. I'd crash it straightaway, because I'm just an idiot in anything that goes fast. I'll just kill myself straightaway. I've written off loads of cars. I haven't actually passed my driving test, so when I drive my tank it's illegal."

wager he'd get something fast, yet disposable. i dunno much about cars in england, but around here an old mazda or honda or nissan would probably fit the bill...

edit: interview so you can see im not taking the piss

we'll never know. Cause Rich is a secretive cunt and its the way the universe works. Like how food that tastes good is bad for you or how rich people are plagued with problems money can't fix.

Guest Mailolman
12.jpg

this looks pretty much how i picture myself rich's studio.

needs more drum machines though

awesome

hey there is a waldorf q, i have one of those :P

mine is blue tho.

yellow ones sound better

I like this thread. I like thinking about electronic musicians studios and trying to imagine their methods and how they created certain sounds, I guess I'm not unique there. AFX is maybe the most interesting one to think about since he is such an innovator and has collected so many pieces of equipment over his life-time.

I think the fun lies in trying to work it all out in your head rather than being given photos, diagrams or instructions. Richard did say in an interview once that he can usually tell how sounds were made when he listens to music made by other artists. I'd like to achieve this level of comprehension with my listening one day, I know I've got a lot better at it over the years.

I don't think it's essential to have loads of great gear though because it's about understanding the various musical and technological processes at work. Sure, no two pieces of gear will give you the same sound but great musicians can make great music with average equipment. Sometimes the limitations imposed by old/cheap/broken gear can force you into different ways of working. I liked Tom Jenkinson's responses in a few interviews where he claimed that he didn't want the latest versions of the equipment he was using because he was still exploring all of the things that his gear could do. He didn't want to move on from his machines untill he had fully used them, as though he owed it to them.

Guest griever
12.jpg

this looks pretty much how i picture myself rich's studio.

needs more drum machines though

i think it's cleaned up and arranged too much :grin:!

Man, I love these threads. Is there anybody that gets more false IDs online than RDJ? Do you twats think you have such simpatico with Richard that you can identify him based solely on a few cryptic posts? Well, if Catholics can see the Virgin Mary in a corn flake then I guess Aphex fans are entitled to a miraculous visitation every now and then, just to keep the faith up. Anyway, long story short, if you don't have "hi richard :)" tattooed on your cock then go ahead and GTFO.

actually, I have a pretty good track record of findin out aphex on the internet. Im the fucking king at that shit. Everybody else is shit at it though. Wiki's aphex info would be boring without my sleuthy contributions.

Guest hahathhat
Richard did say in an interview once that he can't usually tell how sounds were made when he listens to music made by other artists. I'd like to achieve this level of comprehension with my listening one day,

wat

amazing how after 20 years in the biz, there aren't any studio pics whatsoever

Whadda bout this one that got posted here a little while back?DSCN1369.jpg

Original image poster here.

Its amazing people dismiss this photo.

1. Serge compatible Time Tunnel

2. Dual Latronics ( ok so there are some kicking about, but very rare )

3. In old Analord posts RDJ stressing importance of recording medium - 2 Nagras

4. Fenix , same with Latronics, about 75 ever made.

5. Banana Jacked modular 303 Devilfish - whoever has this set up is damned serious about his 303

6. Banana Jacked modular 606 - again, huge level of control over the 606 in use with the serge modular

Now, while I know how much some poeple spend on gear is mental, this system ( even excluding the unknown mods to the 303/606) comes to around;

8 Serge panels - around 2 grand each - £16000

Synton Fenix - recently sold for £5000

2 Nagras - about £2000

Latronic Nortons Mk2 - around £2600

Devilfished 303 - current price around £1600 but lets say £1000

Mods to 606 - cant tell, not sure which mods - £300

So just for this one section of studio comes to around £26900 if you were to buy them all today ( if you could even get hold of them ). And banana jack modular expansion to the 303 and 606 is a complete one off, I can only guess the extent of the mods ( could just be simple mods for cut off, glidde etc ) but looking at the work, i highly doubt it.

Whoever has this set up can afford £26900 on one aspect of their setup and is crazy over 303.

Obvious innit

What AFX tracks could'va been made with that setup?

Archived