IGNORED

i just inherited 10 grand

pcock

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hideshiseyes

save at least half

buy something used, lots of old men with music dreams are being forced to sell by their wives in these troubled times

Guest glasse
gx-1

you selling yours?

i actually inherited money twice in the past 10 years. in 2001 i bought a waldorf q, which is a nice synth and all, but i felt like a bought a ferrari when what i needed was a pick up truck. it ended up holding me back a little because it is not exactly easy to setup, has a nice but focused/limited range of sounds (virtual analog, but before i had a roland xp-50 that had piano,etc.), and just really didn't cover my basic needs.

Now, however, i have a newer laptop, some commercial soft synths that integrate well into my daw, some controllers, etc. i have a pretty intuitive setup and can get a project going quickly without spending 2 hours setting up multi, troubleshooting why the interface won't accept midi, etc. i can just get my idea down before i lose it. that being said, now that all that is covered i am really glad to have that waldorf q, because i can treat it as a luxury. if i want 16 channels of high quality acid lines that do not put strain one on my computer i can have that, but i don't have to rely on it as my primary workhorse.

Guest Wall Bird

Messiaen,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with synth architecture, but if you want to buy a really nice synth and don't have a really good idea of what you're looking for I'd sit on the decision for a while and spend some time getting to know a lot of different synths. For me, when it comes to playing a synth one of the most important features isn't just the features but the ergonomics of the device. A synth could have every damn feature I want, but if the interface is a hassle and isn't intuitive and inspiring to play I will probably pass for something that lets me get my ideas out quicker. If it requires a LED display of sorts, that's usually a tip-off for me that It won't be the most intuitive. Patch cords and knobs are your friends. They're tactile and can easily lead to happy mistakes. Something else to consider that may be of equal significance is your amp - if you even need one. Don't get a shitty guitar amp. Get yourself a nice PA that can handle the extreme frequency ranges you'll be doling out. Let your machine sing at it's full potential.

gx-1

You ain't going to get one of those for 10k!!!!

The vintage synth investment bandwagon is almost like the housing market a couple of years ago and it isn't a good time to invest with the rising Euro against the falling £&$ which is the reason prices have gone silly especially on ebay.

On the other hand folk are more desparate to sell and most buyers are feeling the credit crunch so there are some bargains to be had too if your quick off the mark !

If you go out and spend all your money on what ever expensive vintage you can find the chances are you won't make much on it then there are the repair bills to consider too!

Safe bets are expensive new synths made in limited numbers like the M5, Solaris, Sunsyn ect.

ok my serious answer... if i had ten grand to spend on some gear i would purchase:

1 x Roland TB-303 (£800 odd)

1 x Roland TR-808 (£1200 odd)

1 x Modcan B Series Modular System (£5000 odd)

1 x Roland Jupiter 8 (£3000 odd)

That's your ten grand gwan.

tb-303-600.jpg

roland_tr-808.jpg

modcan-b-series.jpg

roland10jupiter8.l.jpg

Archived