IGNORED

Instrumental Hip-Hop

autopilot

I've been really digging J Dilla - Donuts and Dr. No's Oxperiment lately (both of which were recommended from folks here at WATMM). I want more in this vein. Hit me up with some suggestions.

Yes, I have both Flying Lotus albums and the new Vibert.

Guest beatfanatic

check out

Koushik - Out my Window

The Heliocentrics - Out There

Blue Sky Black Death - A Heap of Broken Dreams

Dday One - Heavy Migration

Dday One - Loop Extensions

Cut Chemist - The Audience is Listening

Dabrye - One/Two & Two/Three

Lone - Lemurian

Madlib - Beat Konducta Volumes

Malcolm Kipe - Breakspiracy Theories

MF Doom - Metalfingers Presents: Special Herbs, The Box Set Vol. 0-9

Nicolay - City Lights Volume 1

Riow Arai - Device People

RJD2 - Deadringer

Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends

Wagon Christ - Throbbing Pouch

instrumental hip hop is an oxymoron

wiki says it all

"Instrumental hip hop is hip hop music without vocals. Hip hop as a general rule consists of two elements: an instrumental track (the "beat") and a vocal track (the "rap")."

instrumental hip hop is an oxymoron

yeah...instrumental rap may be an oxymoron, not so sure about inst. hip hop.

i personally can't recommend enough both "hip hop instrumentals" and "lost shadow instrumentals" by funckarma. while it definitely maintains the very unique aesthetic of funckarma, it's also most certainly intensely head-bobbing stuff.

some highlights i'd recommend checking out first (i think both are available on both bleep and itunes)

from 'lost shadow instrumentals':

Stay True Instrumental (imho, this one is probably the most unique departure of all the FK 'hip hop' tracks)

Powerdevine Jazzreprise Instrumental

Fasho Instrumental (although honestly this isn't anywhere near hip hop, it's just a great tune once the dark bass pad and melodic elements start coming together around 1:30)

from 'hip hop instrumentals':

Omniscience Instrumental (particularly good if under the influence of something, also likely not everyone's cup of apfelwasser)

Fuck the Rappin' Instrumental (just good n' groovy)

Turritorium Instrumental (something about this one just grabs me - great sunny day head bobbing stuff)

hope you enjoy.

c

Blockhead - Music By Cavelight

Dabrye - One/Three

Danny Breaks - Another Dimension

Good fucking calls on these. All stellar.

Slowly working my way through the rest of the suggestions. :angry:

Alias - really underrated, awesome producer, I think he's associated with anticon but he makes some damn fine instrumental albums on his own, especially his latest Resurgam

Blockhead - Already mentioned, seems to get better with each release - I love Uncle Tony's Coloring Book, though Music by Cavelight and Downtown Science are good too. He produces a lot of Aesop Rock's stuff and probably deserves most of the credit for his success.

DJ Krush - he can be hit or miss especially since he's released a ton of stuff over the years, but overall I like his production style. Most all of his albums feature guest vocalists on some/all of the tracks - meiso and milight are decent, recently I've be listening to stepping stones which is split into two discs ("lyricism" and "soundscapes"), both of which are pretty good.

Madlib - Madlib is the man, I like Beat Konducta 1/2 almost as much as donuts, 3/4 (in India) was a bit meh only cuz Oh No made the same album in Oxperiment (only better), and 5/6 is a tribute to dilla and pretty good.

Dabrye - already mentioned, one/three and instrmntl are both great.

Nightmares on Wax - Still love smoker's delight and carboot soul!

The Herbaliser - good funk/hiphop/soundtrack type music, although most of their albums feature guest MCs on about 1/2 the tracks.

Also track down some of the instrumentals of DJ Premier & Pete Rock productions, those guys are pretty much hiphop legends in beatmaking

Guest Stoppit

Nothing like J Dilla or Madlib, stylistically..but does anyone like REQ? I really like his stuff, particularly the 2 albums on Warp. Sketchbook has got a vaguely eastern sound, gamelan etc..while Car Paint Scheme is more electronic; using vintage drum machines. Definitely worth a listen, I'd say.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

how about Mix Master Mike's Anti-Theft Device

or Live at the Future Primitive Sound Session vol. 1

these might be too SF though...

Nothing like J Dilla or Madlib, stylistically..but does anyone like REQ? I really like his stuff, particularly the 2 albums on Warp. Sketchbook has got a vaguely eastern sound, gamelan etc..while Car Paint Scheme is more electronic; using vintage drum machines. Definitely worth a listen, I'd say.

Yeah good call, I haven't listened to his stuff for ages tho, I'll have to dig it out. Car Paint Scheme was my favorite, sounded weirdly like old skool Mantronix type shit but without vocals and a bit weirder.

Guest tidbit

oh yes, req! (very nice)

others,, .. neutrino (japanese i think), innerstance.beatbox, ..heliocentrics (album on stonesthrow offshoot)

push button objects could be mentioned as well.. amongst others

record stores that specialize in hip hop have instrumental versions of albums. i remember buying up a lot of those back in the day... dr. octogon, dr. dre, outkast! i miss that record store!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i can't believe no one mentioned sixtoo. easily the best instrumental stuff. his drums are pure art!

his rapping is great too but thats another thread

take - earthtones & concrete

wajeed - wajeed & the bling47 group

mweslee - megaplast

ghislain poirier - breakupdown

dr. who dat - beat journey

keaver and brause - the middle way

edit: this is just bliss...

Edited by varius