IGNORED

Instrumental Hip-Hop

autopilot

Guest carthief

Is it possible to resurrect this thread but also have it shifted to Music Discussion?

Guest Yegg

take - earthtones & concrete

wajeed - wajeed & the bling47 group

mweslee - megaplast

ghislain poirier - breakupdown

dr. who dat - beat journey

keaver and brause - the middle way

edit: this is just bliss...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nice! seconded.

Guest carthief

Sixtoo and Alias were brought up already, but they are two of my favorites in this vein.

Have any of you guys ever listened to Jel?

f753225b9da0257421401110.L.jpg

Jel - Greenball

This album was one of my first introductions to the underground hip-hop scene, and I was all about it. I think Jel is still one of my favorite producers, in any genre.

For the producers/beatmakers out there, you may find this interesting/entertaining (or not):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twHhcB4D-po

Good call on Sixtoo, Alias and Jel. Alias' best is easily Muted, I like Jel's Soft Money best. Sixtoo is amazing all around, but Duration and Chewing On Glass & Other Miracle Cures are incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt2kXCrBxGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dIHbCIpTuI&

How about some Odd Nosdam? No More Wig for Ohio is awesome. Here is a sampler some kind soul put on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAhdvDK-2CM

Guest carthief

sidewinder...we like similar albums, I've noticed in two different threads now. Duration is my second favorite album of all time...and Alias's The Other Side of the Looking Glass Instrumentals is the first. I definitely think you would be into it if you can track down a copy...it was tour-only, hand made type stuff, limited to I don't know how many copies...but seriously man, it's my favorite piece of music in the world. If you're real interested maybe I can find a way to get you to hear it (if you haven't already).

Speaking of Odd Nosdam, have you heard Level Live Wires? Out of the solo albums by him I've heard it's definitely my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xxoA8jgIW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5P28rHvoo

Sixtoo and Alias were brought up already, but they are two of my favorites in this vein.

i may have to look more into sixtoo. i seem to hear his name a lot. the only thing i have is from the kitchen sink remixes, and its really good.

sidewinder...we like similar albums, I've noticed in two different threads now. Duration is my second favorite album of all time...and Alias's The Other Side of the Looking Glass Instrumentals is the first. I definitely think you would be into it if you can track down a copy...it was tour-only, hand made type stuff, limited to I don't know how many copies...but seriously man, it's my favorite piece of music in the world. If you're real interested maybe I can find a way to get you to hear it (if you haven't already).

Speaking of Odd Nosdam, have you heard Level Live Wires? Out of the solo albums by him I've heard it's definitely my favorite.

I haven't heard Alias' The Other Side of the Looking Glass Instrumentals but I have the regular CD with vocals. I'll definitely look into that. Also I have Odd Nosdam's Level Live Wires, should give that another spin soon. Actually based on this thread I brought some stuff to work today, including his Burner album and some other instrumental hip hop. I'll make another list of suggestions later.

Curious what was the other stuff we had in common in another thread...gonna poke around.

i may have to look more into sixtoo. i seem to hear his name a lot. the only thing i have is from the kitchen sink remixes, and its really good.

Do eet.

Here's a little-known gem I'm listening to now...

P-Love - ...All Up In your Mind

6467024128a007de80db6010.L._AA300_.jpg

Released on Bully Records (which I believe is Sixtoo's label) in 2005. Very chill, lots of live instrument sounds which gives it a post-rock sound at times (not unlike Sixtoo's Chewing On Glass... album). I read somewhere once (don't recall where) that P-Love was touring with Amon Tobin and recorded this album using some of Amon's equipment. Actually, his voice is featured on track 3.

Paolo Kapunan aka P-Love follows Mike Schof aka Elektro4 as one of the initial artists to drop their solo debut full lengths for the label of the year 2005, Bully. Round these parts our breath has been triple def baited in anticipation for this album to drop and it does not disappoint. Primarily known for his quirky and refreshing deejay skills, he is good mates with Kid Koala, this album shows that he's also the master of the sampler plus add to that trumpet, stylophone, guitar, drums and keyboards. This album really sounds like no other that I can recall, it has the fun factor you'd associate with Eric San plus the depth of Sixtoo's 'Duration'. Twelve tracks in 50 minutes really fly by... there are no obvious stand out tracks as every track is awesome - some to mention are 'St-Viateur Shuffle (Part 2)' a sick midtempo breakbeat bomb, with downward spiraling melancholic horns, warm alien blips and some awesome beat cut up's, as dope as Mat Young's 'Illy Uno'. 'Four Inches Per Minutes On The DVP' has P-Love on live drums showing Illy B's influence has rubbed off on him - a mega chilled guitar, rhodes, turntable stroll perfect for those end of day moments when you finally switch off the head and let the good times flow. How good is 'Lâches Pas Les Études Gertrude'? this album just keeps it going on, 'Rockland County Dramatics Andante' is like the gorgeous interludes in 'Nufonia Must Fall' only even lusher, the '.... Allegro' version', jaw drops to the floor. I can't recommend this album highly enough. Style wise and content wise it might be miles apart from the Alpha Puppies Ricci Rucker and Mike Boo but it's no less a deejay essential. One you'll be returning to time and time again, treat yourself. --Boomkat

I've really enjoyed this album over the years, Boomkat is right...you'll return to it time and time again.

I like Jel's Soft Money best.

same, i got the record a while back and it's always nice to hear, laid back and solid in every way.

i saw jel at an art show in oakland a while ago. it was a small crowd, i ended up talking to him and doseone while they were hanging around the entrance waiting for shit to get going. cool fellows, dose let us borrow a rolling paper.

Arts the Beatdoctor

[youtubehd]EuV-dqKZaic[/youtubehd]

Dr. Who Dat?

[youtubehd]qTfC-m3sa6g[/youtubehd]

Lukid

[youtubehd]WHAmPipRMzM[/youtubehd]

Mike Slott

[youtubehd]pQIvccf4NJ0[/youtubehd]

Lone

[youtubehd]LKgaRFClb54[/youtubehd]

Samon Kawamura

[youtubehd]8rhrQ_Repjc[/youtubehd]

Keaver & Brause

[youtubehd]KdN_EbJo03g[/youtubehd]

Mount Kimbie

[youtubehd]34mZZGBPJBc[/youtubehd]

Kelpe

[youtubehd]jzN7ipbAvbQ[/youtubehd]

Nobody

[youtubehd]tn3oOCOd_Lc[/youtubehd]

Morris Nightingale

[youtubehd]MUEsI2zhVeg[/youtubehd]

Odd Nosdam

[youtubehd]-f1IDiZABok[/youtubehd]

DJ Signify

[youtubehd]Dsq0cyniSpU[/youtubehd]

Samiyam

[youtubehd]MY5XvjoXDgI[/youtubehd]

Deceptikon

[youtubehd]uRe01_1eWog[/youtubehd]

Onra

[youtubehd]jJBI4ckmB2M[/youtubehd]

Free the Robots

[youtubehd]0eiiFLmxW0k[/youtubehd]

Blockhead

[youtubehd]WCbbNOS8Cyw[/youtubehd]

Ko-Wreck Technique

[youtubehd]AP2E599nkwM[/youtubehd]

Yppah

[youtubehd]V5wbb9YWYRA[/youtubehd]

Mweslee

[youtubehd]kCeC75P-xxI[/youtubehd]

Guest carthief

I'm going to dickride my man's post there because I want to share a DJ Signify track that is one of my favorite instrumental, if not musical period, tracks of all time. DJ Signify - Buk Out

The user video is a little distracting.

Also, I'm noticing the very end of the track is truncated and it goes to some other weird live-sounding recording.

If you want to hear the whole thing it's on his myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/djsignify

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mQ0nHyfLaA

A few more (stretching the definition a little bit):

Metaform

[youtubehd]4VeAcPg3Vlw[/youtubehd]

Harmonic 33

[youtubehd]JbRxvPN4UPo[/youtubehd]

Rustie (this one ain't the instrumental version, but the beat is still killer)

[youtubehd]C_Shcpp7JBE[/youtubehd]

Pursuit Grooves (could only find a non-instrumental track, but all her beats are awesome)

[youtubehd]-BDf08rMKL8[/youtubehd]

Hudson Mohawke

[youtubehd]vJZLnhSZRyc[/youtubehd]

Debruit

[youtubehd]Nh4SaDDgSok[/youtubehd]

Machine Drum

[youtubehd]rHAji_pRU7Q[/youtubehd]

Prefuse 73

[youtubehd]UU7QjeT8nmc[/youtubehd]

Dabrye

[youtubehd]fSaxH0YXn0g[/youtubehd]

1000 names

[youtubehd]3ZvYfBW5PDc[/youtubehd]

Dimlite

[youtubehd]pXUtHf7LSpQ[/youtubehd]

Aim

[youtubehd]rZPpAMWsE7g[/youtubehd]

edIT

[youtubehd]5ayiUe3m-IQ[/youtubehd]

Actress

[youtubehd]ndVtFX4pZfc[/youtubehd]

• 1 year later...
Guest nene multiple assgasms

Sorry to bump the thread, but where should I start with Sun Ra, what are the essentials?

lol, what does sun ra have to do with instrumental hip hop? it really depends what era you're after. if you wanna check out the early hard boppish stuff, visits planet earth/interstellar low ways isn't a bad choice. if you wanna hear all-out free jazz, check out the live album nothng is... if you'd like to hear his awesome take on swing revivalism, check out the album reflections in blue.