IGNORED

Entropy: Our latest animated short film

springymajig

I am very excited to announce the online release of Entropy! If you'd like to read more about it, you can visit this page of our website. This one is my baby... I wrote it, directed it, and animated almost all of it myself. I hope you like it.

We've also put together a package of extras, and the film in HD, which you can buy for $4. More information on that here.

Anyway... please check out the film, it's only a bit over 3 minutes long, thanks!

good to see you doing something with your talents springy.

although i must say that i really don't get the link between "entropy" and this rather ultra sweet story. not that it really matters...

Hehehe yeah it's a pretty obscure reference to an Isaac Asimov short story, "The last question", which I read when I was in high school:

"I know all about entropy," said Adell, standing on his dignity.

"The hell you do."

"I know as much as you do."

"Then you know everything's got to run down someday."

Ever since I read that, I always think of the word "entropy" whenever anyone talks about something not lasting forever (not just energy).

So yeah... it doesn't have any direct connection to the story, it's only a personal one. But I thought it'd be a name that would stand out so that's why I stuck with it.

thanks for the answer, springy. i usually get pretty frustrated over artists who don't want to go into the stories behind the choices they've made and end up with statements like it's up to the viewer to make up his own meaning. i like to be able to interpret things from the makers perspective, not from my own delusions. my own delusions are what make up my entire day. i want other perspectives. so, anyways, this is not the place to go into these rants. so thanks for the answer again.

any plans for bigger productions?

any plans for bigger productions?

Bigger? Hmmm... perhaps... I have a web series I'm planning to do... in terms of schedule there's nothing concrete yet... gotta see how work goes. Unfortunately, as in everything in life, what I can do is governed by the almighty dollar.

But when that is eventually finished... I suspect it'll be well over an hours worth of animation. It won't be classically animated, or as refined and pretty looking as this tho... I wanna try doing the opposite: something long but done with more spontaneity.

what's your normal job .... cheers for posting by the way .. i've been curious for a long time as to how this project would pan out ;-] .. thanks springy ..

Very nice, springy!

A bit off topic, but were you by any chance inspired by the artwork for LucasArts' The Curse of Monkey Island? I'm mainly thinking of the backgrounds, the clouds and the moon.

Guest taxman

awesome work man! i love the wide angle effect on the landscape when the two are dancing. very well done

Thanks everyone!!!

what's your normal job .... cheers for posting by the way .. i've been curious for a long time as to how this project would pan out ;-] .. thanks springy ..

At the moment I'm sorta unemployed :P but I should be starting again pretty soon. I was working for a studio called Tangata Whenua TV, who do a kids show for the channel Maori TV (which is of course... mostly in Maori, and mostly by Maori people). I'll be starting again sometime soon although I won't know when until the producers call me up. It's a very cool job, a very small team with almost complete creative control!

Very nice, springy!

A bit off topic, but were you by any chance inspired by the artwork for LucasArts' The Curse of Monkey Island? I'm mainly thinking of the backgrounds, the clouds and the moon.

I've been asked that a few times before actually, I never played Curse of Monkey Island unfortunately but it l probably will sometime, looks like my kinda thing. It's probably pretty obvious but I'd say Tim Burton was probably the biggest influence on the visual style.

awesome work man! i love the wide angle effect on the landscape when the two are dancing. very well done

Thanks, that effect was thanks to Jeremy, the other half of Rhubarb Zoo. He's very good with After Effects, I hope to learn a lot of these fancy tricks on my own solo projects.

wow dude, again impressed with the music. beautiful and perfect for the film. i loved the translucent hair you used, for some reason it really stuck out. awesome animation again, i have a watmm crush on your work. congratulations. keep us posted on anything else you put out!

Great stuff man. Whatd you use to animate/color the thing? It all looks really sharp, thought maybe i saw some 3d in there.

Ive been kicking around ideas for animations i want to work on this summer, but a broken laptop and not wanting to draw backgrounds has sort of stalled my progress. Ive got plenty of free time to work on it, i just need to get the ball rolling

Oh dude I totally forgot, my whole family loved this.

My wife spotted the burton influence right away, but she also said inspired by, not copying.

Do you guys have a package sort of deal? I'm almost thinking about making a paypal account just to buy your stuff...

Archived