IGNORED

SAW2's sound

Guest Bramsworth

Guest analogue pastoral

After finally setting up my Matrix 6 and checking most of the 1000 presets for the Matrix 1000, I'm a bit confused. So far I've identified this one preset called Rain..something that most definitely was used for the piano sound in On. But as far as SAW2 goes though, I can't really find any presets though that sound like they were used. I've seen it mentioned numerous times here and other boards and I think it's about time someone just solve it once and for all: which sounds on the Matrix 1000 were used on SAW2?

I was told not too long ago by analogue wings that a lot of the Strings presets sound like it. Well, I'll just ask here, which ones in particular? It's bugging me to death here, if he really used this thing then someone must have some specific patches he used.

I didn't buy this synth specifically just to have patches that Rich used and then play his songs like a dufus, but since I have this thing I'd like to know what I've got here now :p I was thinking all this time I'd find for example that calming almost organ-like sound from Cliffs was on it, or even the incredible Stone in Focus pad. That is assuming he only used this synth for all pads anyway(which was my assumption..).

While I'm at it, is there a specific name also for that atmospheric sound at the beginning of Tha and Blue Calx? Assuming that's also from the Matrix 1000 I'd love to know if that's available somewhere. Really nice sound :)

Here, many matrix 1000. This is not a factory preset but a patch with many micro variation on the pitch. this produces a detune and creates an illusion of harmony, but in fact all the notes ring false.

http://odaka.bandcamp.com/track/a1-warm-geometry

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mohamed

After finally setting up my Matrix 6 and checking most of the 1000 presets for the Matrix 1000, I'm a bit confused. So far I've identified this one preset called Rain..something that most definitely was used for the piano sound in On. But as far as SAW2 goes though, I can't really find any presets though that sound like they were used. I've seen it mentioned numerous times here and other boards and I think it's about time someone just solve it once and for all: which sounds on the Matrix 1000 were used on SAW2?

I was told not too long ago by analogue wings that a lot of the Strings presets sound like it. Well, I'll just ask here, which ones in particular? It's bugging me to death here, if he really used this thing then someone must have some specific patches he used.

I didn't buy this synth specifically just to have patches that Rich used and then play his songs like a dufus, but since I have this thing I'd like to know what I've got here now :p I was thinking all this time I'd find for example that calming almost organ-like sound from Cliffs was on it, or even the incredible Stone in Focus pad. That is assuming he only used this synth for all pads anyway(which was my assumption..).

While I'm at it, is there a specific name also for that atmospheric sound at the beginning of Tha and Blue Calx? Assuming that's also from the Matrix 1000 I'd love to know if that's available somewhere. Really nice sound :)

Here, many matrix 1000. This is not a factory preset but a patch with many micro variation on the pitch. this produces a detune and creates an illusion of harmony, but in fact all the notes ring false.

http://odaka.bandcamp.com/track/a1-warm-geometry

nice

the matrix 1000 is just a dco analog synth. Saw2 sounds like a lot of the patches are samples with processing, Like Rhubarb or lichen. Im sure there are analog synths on other tracks, but what tracks are you interested in? The matrix 1000 rumor still exists and still is misleading people. The reverb sounds like a standard 80's lexicon reverb or the like to me

I think people underestimate the amount of samples used on SAW II. THat said, and as has been already said, you can get that saw II sound with pretty much anything + reverb and compression.

I think people underestimate the amount of samples used on SAW II. THat said, and as has been already said, you can get that saw II sound with pretty much anything + reverb and compression.

no wayyyy maaaaan, he used a super-mecha-death synth over 9000

• 1 year later...

update;

i was checking out some vids of old samplers. i heard this one

and i think that first sound is a lot like the Lichen pad. Maybe the processing is a little different on lichen but the basic sound is there.

the pad is from a sample library named Mr E for the emulator II, but others in the comment section say the same pad is also in the akai sample library called Fairlight II Soundtrax

http://www.greytsounds.com/gs/fd/gs-4-10.html

Guest Kenneth172

Having sampled a lot of stuff from an Amiga then put through an Alesis Midiverb for a more muffled sound then recorded on to C60 cassettes the resulting sound texture is very similar to SAW II. If I remember rightly CiM previously did a lot of his stuff on an Amiga too.

He actually bought 4 parrots & kept them in the room the whole time he was working on the rough cut of the album, & when they reached the point where they were able to recite the entire thing from memory (each bird doing a different instrument), he took them out to an abandoned grain silo in the woods, cooked them, & fed them to a homeless guy. The man's resulting psychedelic episode was recorded & released unaltered as SAWii

define process

proc⋅ess

  /ˈprɒsɛs; especially Brit. ˈproʊsɛs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pros-es; especially Brit. proh-ses] Show IPA noun, plural proc⋅ess⋅es  /ˈprɒsɛsɪz, ‑əsɪz, ‑əˌsiz or, especially Brit., ˈproʊsɛs‑, ˈproʊsə‑/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pros-es-iz, ‑uh-siz, ‑uh-seez or, especially Brit., proh-ses‑, proh-suh‑] Show IPA , verb, adjective

Use process in a Sentence

–noun

1. a systematic series of actions directed to some end: to devise a process for homogenizing milk.

2. a continuous action, operation, or series of changes taking place in a definite manner: the process of decay.

3. Law.

a. the summons, mandate, or writ by which a defendant or thing is brought before court for litigation.

b. the whole course of the proceedings in an action at law.

4. Photography. photomechanical, photoengraving or photodementia methods collectively.

5. Biology, Anatomy. a natural outgrowth, projection, or appendage: a process of a bone.

6. the action of going forward or on.

7. the condition of being carried on.

8. course or lapse, as of time.

9. conk 4 (defs. 1, 2).

fixed

:spiteful:

Having sampled a lot of stuff from an Amiga then put through an Alesis Midiverb for a more muffled sound then recorded on to C60 cassettes the resulting sound texture is very similar to SAW II. If I remember rightly CiM previously did a lot of his stuff on an Amiga too.

That's really interesting... big CiM fan here!

Otherwordly, Bewitching, Mystical.

I'd like to think Richard was making this album while a maelstrom raged outside, UFO's were circling up above, an oujia board was spinning out of control, the Heavens raged in a holy war and mighty Cornish surf pounded in the distance And a deathly calm followed with spirits whispering on the wind.

However he just sort of made it on a bunch of gadgets, pretty humdrum to be honest, its a great shame lol.

Like I said before I'm glad I don't make music, but I'm glad Richard does.

Like I said before I'm glad I don't make music, but I'm glad Richard does.

why?? i dont understand this statement. im glad he does too, but whats that have to do w/ u?

When you make music, even if it's not very good music, it actually does feel like all that crazy stuff you said is going on. Like, 100x stronger than just listening to music

That is, if you're actually getting into it & not the kind who'd get stressed out about it

Because I don't understand the music making process, a lot of what I listen too seems to enchant me and drives my imagination. And I like that. Whereas if I knew the nuts and bolts of how things work I feel some of that mystery maybe taken away from me.

Thats what I meant.

Guest Kenneth172

That's really interesting... big CiM fan here!

Cool, you might like some of my early Amiga stuff too then. :watmm:

Guest Sprigg

Because I don't understand the music making process, a lot of what I listen too seems to enchant me and drives my imagination. And I like that. Whereas if I knew the nuts and bolts of how things work I feel some of that mystery maybe taken away from me.

For me, that's some of the wonder. Hearing a sound and trying to come up with a way it could have been made in my head is part of the music-listening experience now, and when I hear some batshit, wonderful sound that I can't even remotely figure out, I get really excited and it drives me to be even more creative with the stuff I make.

Thats what I meant.

well, i do know the nuts and bolts and i can tell you the mystery does not get taken away. Its still about Richard's mind. The sounds were there for others to use and they didnt make Saw2. It is still about the talent.

Thats what I meant.

that's spectacularly why i have no nor never had a drive to 'make music'.

although discovering knowing and catching easter eggs is still a treat - it's a fine line to walk...

and oh shit if i ever get the mental image of someone playing or hitting keys on a keyboard/whenever when i listen to the tune, it's in the garbage and ruined forever. same goes for shitty acid loops. anything of that nature and the jigs up. probably explains why i dont like seeing human bands or humans playing music when out live.

Archived