IGNORED

Square-pusher

Guest Otto Krat

Guest Otto Krat

Do you think that the name Squarepusher is referring to that: clip018.gif

And the fact that SH 101 makes nice one of these.

Or do you think that's jazzband?

Guest David R James

I once heard that the square referred to a square of acid and the pusher being like a dealer (drug pusher). Im not convinced though. It was just internet hearsay.

3. squarepusher 7 up, 15 down love it hate it

theres a song:

iambic 9 poetry, its got the most amazing drums its all live and shnizz. its so perfect.

he really can make perfection music or he goes too experimental and makes a song full of car horns and sauce pans banging together.

he also has a song called ufo's over leytonstone which is where i live blap blap.

squarepusher is great i was just listening to him and the cat got scared.

by rathsangatas drink Jan 27, 2005 share this

Guest IRARI

the word squarepusher appears in james joyce's ulysses, tom is particularly literate, maybe so maybe not

Guest JohnTqs

i think squarepusher means like pushing a button, like on a sampler or synth like. the drug thing might also be true. it probably has more than 1 meaning.

maybe pushing the squares, like getting the most out of something.

i'm guessing he had crap (by his standards now, at least) when he first started out, so he had to take what he could out of it, pushed them to the limit

:devil:

Guest Calx Sherbet
because Pearsquasher was almost right but it was missing something you know?

i actually like this

Guest Rabid
i think squarepusher means like pushing a button, like on a sampler or synth like. the drug thing might also be true. it probably has more than 1 meaning.

Yeah I thought the first one. Always thought it had to do wtih pussing square synth knobs or something. I think I saw him pussing squares during an interview

Guest Pilcat

i think the word/phrase came to his attention first as a drug term, and the more he thought about it, the more he realized it was applicable...much like you're all doing.

Guest Babar

+1 for the Joyce/"ladies' man" thing.

I remember having read something similar in a french review about one of his albums : the french word for squarepusher is damoiseau, which the masculine form of demoiselle like in Mademoiselle.

• 3 months later...
Guest shibboleth

when i first heard the name i thought it was terrible, but maybe a little better than 'duke of harringay'

like some albums it takes a while to catch on

- Btw, where did you take the name Squarepusher from?

Squarepusher is mentioned in "Ulysees" by James Joyce, and is apparently an old -english term for an archer. I am always asked this question -I do not appreciate why a name has so much significance. As a pseudonym, I suppose people assume that it was chosen because of some resonance between its implied meaning and some principal attribute of the work presented under that name. My thoughts in this regard were always that a pseudonym, like any other name is a matter of convenience and has no inherent meaning whatsoever.

Archived