IGNORED

Ghost Box Subforum

Caretstik

A lazy Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V from the thread I made in New Releases:

emitc03xxx.jpg

KAP001: 'Electronic Music in the Classroom' by D.D.Denham.

Release date: 6th September 2010.

Format: Digital Download.

Availability: Worldwide - iTunes Store, Amazon, BandCamp.

Let me guide you into the fictitious, colourful world of academic composer D.D.Denham and his pupils. Close your eyes and imagine that the sounds you are listening to emerge from the minds of Mr Denham's class of budding composers. You can practically smell the tape loops as they whizz around jars and broom-handles in makeshift schoolroom studios. You can see the soft light as it chinks through the heavy, lined curtains covering the windows. You can experience the energy of concentration, as these young sonic experimenters work through practical recording techniques with their music teacher.

Simple sine-wave melodies glide through echoes and primitive reverb tanks. Slightly broken tape machines do their best to capture the sounds of educational instruments processed through filters. Voices re-dubbed at slower speeds create sinister undertones. Untamed, unstable oscillators are set to synthesise the characteristics of the operatic human voice.

It's all here, woven within the fabric of these 16 pieces.

Further linkage here.

Study Series 3 & 4: Mordant Music, Belbury Poly, Broadcast and The Focus Group.

also new tshirts

http://jimjupp.blogspot.com/2010/08/get-new-look-for-autumn-now.html?spref=fb

For once the forum search worked, was about to post this. Where have I been for the past week (rhetorical question)? Pre-ordered the vinyl, naturally. Not going to bother with the t-shirts although they do look rather nice.

Those silk-screened shirts were the best GB have put out, but I have a pathological-cum-lazy dislike of white t-shirts (i.e. I don't have many), just too much of a balache on washday. However, I would still love one of those blue Belbury Poly numbers.

they should offer an 'all of it!' pack. guaranteed they'd clean up. the sort of person that likes ghost box is generally also the sort of person who would love to have a ghost box shelf with all the cds in a row.

farmer's angle vinyl and both new study series preordered :)

gotta love those ghostbox people. haven't bought the t-shirt cause I couldn't justify it. will offer my kid something nice instead.

the sort of person that likes ghost box is generally also the sort of person who would love to have a ghost box shelf with all the cds in a row.

Before my life was boxed up during my Uni limbo, I actually did this, dispensing with my usual OCD artist alphabetisation. Didn't look at all impressive though, as there's no back cover on the original CDRs to show through the spine. Just plain old blank plastic.

Edited by Caretstik

Didn't look at all impressive though, as there's no back cover on the original CDRs to show through the spine. Just plain old blank plastic.

I like it; Tuss-stylez. Sometimes I just pick a CD at random and let myself be surprised by what comes out of my speakers.

the sort of person that likes ghost box is generally also the sort of person who would love to have a ghost box shelf with all the cds in a row.

Before my life was boxed up during my Uni limbo, I actually did this, dispensing with my usual OCD artist alphabetisation. Didn't look at all impressive though, as there's no back cover on the original CDRs to show through the spine. Just plain old blank plastic.

even one level of elitism further then: "it's not how it looks. it's how it makes me feel. it makes me feel complete."

even one level of elitism further then: "it's not how it looks. it's how it makes me feel. it makes me feel complete."

What it comes down to is, I knew they were there.

we'll see if the mordant music track is any good. i like The Tower stuff but i find everything else tough to get into in a way i can't explain. shirts look nice, but not as cool as the Belbury Poly ones. Farmer's Angle looks swell, too

shit. did i just use the word "swell"? time for bed, clearly.

we'll see if the mordant music track is any good. i like The Tower stuff but i find everything else tough to get into in a way i can't explain.

dead air is great. like the ghost of a pirate station from the early 90s/60s/90s

Guest Zykial

on a bit of a tangent but keeping with the old TV aspect

http://www.discogs.com/Mordant-Music-Dead-Air/release/716931

As the listening habits of a generation move ever-closer to collections based on file-extensions, one possible weapon with which to retain the physical size of music consumption is by getting clever with your packaging - something Mordant Music seem to have done with considerable aplomb... Never the easiest thing to make indispensable, the Mordant Music crew have nonetheless played a blinder with this CD - housing it in a gatefold type sleeve that extends off in all directions with some lovely wall-paper style decoration inside to keep your eyes happy. Oh, and it's a funny shape too... What more do you want?! Tearing ourselves away from the visual aesthetic, the lovingly wrapped music inside is hark back to simpler times; where electronic maneuvers could be straight-up and less reliant on sonic gymnastics to engage the listener. Sounding not unlike some lost Dr Who episode, the Mordant crew have employed the talents of ex-Thames TV continuity announcer Philip Elsmore on narration duties - bringing the electronics a sense of real pathos and crumbling despair. Alternating between styles, the likes of grime, industrial, electro, pop and music concrete are all fed through the Mordant machine to produce an oddly soothing affair that bursts into life sporadically for some Prefuse-style shenanigans, but overall retains its composure to threatening effect. Dark without becoming claustrophobic and instilled with enough bite to warrant the fancy packaging, 'Dead Air' proves that music can still be a tactile experience. Touch it!

narration by Phillip Elsmore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Elsmore

3333854147_f855f6e7fc.jpg

i've only bought stuff by The Advisory Circle and Belbury Poly so far ...

Edited by Zykial

on a bit of a tangent but keeping with the old TV aspect

http://www.discogs.com/Mordant-Music-Dead-Air/release/716931

As the listening habits of a generation move ever-closer to collections based on file-extensions, one possible weapon with which to retain the physical size of music consumption is by getting clever with your packaging - something Mordant Music seem to have done with considerable aplomb... Never the easiest thing to make indispensable, the Mordant Music crew have nonetheless played a blinder with this CD - housing it in a gatefold type sleeve that extends off in all directions with some lovely wall-paper style decoration inside to keep your eyes happy. Oh, and it's a funny shape too... What more do you want?! Tearing ourselves away from the visual aesthetic, the lovingly wrapped music inside is hark back to simpler times; where electronic maneuvers could be straight-up and less reliant on sonic gymnastics to engage the listener. Sounding not unlike some lost Dr Who episode, the Mordant crew have employed the talents of ex-Thames TV continuity announcer Philip Elsmore on narration duties - bringing the electronics a sense of real pathos and crumbling despair. Alternating between styles, the likes of grime, industrial, electro, pop and music concrete are all fed through the Mordant machine to produce an oddly soothing affair that bursts into life sporadically for some Prefuse-style shenanigans, but overall retains its composure to threatening effect. Dark without becoming claustrophobic and instilled with enough bite to warrant the fancy packaging, 'Dead Air' proves that music can still be a tactile experience. Touch it!

narration by Phillip Elsmore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Elsmore

3333854147_f855f6e7fc.jpg

i've only bought stuff by The Advisory Circle and Belbury Poly so far ...

yeah, i have this. it's awesome.

plz stop ghost box, i want it allllll

This September is a very exciting month for Ghost Box, first of all we'll be releasing Belbury Poly's Farmer's Angle (Revised Edition). This is a new version of the very first release on Ghost Box, originally a 3" CD limited to 200 copies and back now by popular demand in the form of 10" vinyl, full size CD or download. The EP features three new tracks, in one of which Belbury Poly are joined by the The Advisory Circle.

Same here with the last of your two posts, kaini. 'Dead Air' is indeed great (thanks for the recommendation ages ago). And as for GB, I will buy everything they release mindlessly and without checking my bank balance first, but I hope they ease off with these revised editions. Starting to seem just a tiny bit cynical.

Now that i've listened to Dead Air I will have to revisit their discog. Not a fan of the vocal track but the rest is solid and I can hear the reason why GB are interested.

thanks for the tip!

Edited by fox