IGNORED

Ghost Box Subforum

Caretstik

Two new Studies Series

One Reissued Belbury Poly

D.D. Dedham (Advisory Circle) Album

Question is, will i have any money left by the second week of september?

edit: pacing, ghost box, pacing

Edited by fox

Two new Studies Series

One Reissued Belbury Poly

D.D. Dedham (Advisory Circle) Album

Question is, will i have any money left by the second week of september?

edit: pacing, ghost box, pacing

oops DENham

• 2 weeks later...

anybody heard the DD Denham release? i think it was supposed to be out earlier this week, tho between this bastard of a cold and the new ghostbox stuff coming out i'm all confused . . .

Guest lunarphase

Got all four numbered 7"'s, and Ghost box gave me numbers 701 & 702 for Study Series 1 & 2, and numbers 703 & 704 for the other two 7"s!

so did anyone listen the to new Broadcast and Focus group single ??

I created a thread in New and upcoming releases/

just listened to it and (honestly) it was the one i had the lowest expectations for out of the four new ghostbox(-ish) releases, but, man, is it good. the second track sounds like the middle of a pink floyd track circa 1969 (like maybe the middle of one of those killer live versions of The Embryo or something) the rest is good too.

• 1 month later...

anybody heard the DD Denham release? i think it was supposed to be out earlier this week, tho between this bastard of a cold and the new ghostbox stuff coming out i'm all confused . . .

Did you manage to get hold of this in the end?

quite appropriately, it was released only in ephemeral (ghostly!) download-only format (no physical manifestation exists on this plane).

sorry if that's not what you meant.

managed and (for the most part) thoroughly enjoyed. there are a few really top tracks and then a few that almost seem like they might be throwaways from some other project. but i need to give to further listens. i listened to it right when it came out then the new ghostbox stuff (+ i was reading a lot of algernon blackwood at the time) and i was in hauntological overload for a bit and it's probably time for a proper listen. i think it was hurt by the fact that the advisory circle album was SOOOOOOOOO good that my expectations were unreasonably high.

quite appropriately, it was released only in ephemeral (ghostly!) download-only format (no physical manifestation exists on this plane).

sorry if that's not what you meant.

That never occurred to me before, but I suppose in a way a non-physical release is kind of appropriate for h**nt*l*gy. And if I remember rightly all of the Cafe Kaput releases are to be download-only. Talking of which, this upcoming release touted on Jon Brooks' blog looks promising.

managed and (for the most part) thoroughly enjoyed. there are a few really top tracks and then a few that almost seem like they might be throwaways from some other project. but i need to give to further listens. i listened to it right when it came out then the new ghostbox stuff (+ i was reading a lot of algernon blackwood at the time) and i was in hauntological overload for a bit and it's probably time for a proper listen. i think it was hurt by the fact that the advisory circle album was SOOOOOOOOO good that my expectations were unreasonably high.

I was a bit ambivalent about it as well. 'Two Teeth Missing' for example is a lovely track, but somehow doesn't seem to fit with the concept of the album. But it's certainly a worthy release and anything but poor, just needs a little time to take to I think.

I was a bit ambivalent about it as well. 'Two Teeth Missing' for example is a lovely track, but somehow doesn't seem to fit with the concept of the album. But it's certainly a worthy release and anything but poor, just needs a little time to take to I think.

yes, not as immediate as other channels, but certainly quality. not an entry point for his work, but one worth having. and, as i said, i was in H* overload at the time, as i imagine many who bought it at release were, so the timing may have been a factor as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Protect & Survive - Music For Your Domestic Nuclear Shelter

Every year, as the weather turns colder and the leaves have left most of the trees, my mind turns to 'comfort library' music. Music as warming as a big bowl of soup, with perhaps a chilling blob of crème fraiche in the middle. Or something.

So, this morning, quite by chance, I dug this out while the Jb household had breakfast (not soup). It's a compilation I put together in 2004 and was given to a handful of friends on CD. I think about 4 people have heard it so far. The object of the exercise was to think about the music the government would possibly provide in the event of a nuclear disaster, so it's all library music and a lot of it very 'comforting'. Think of this stuff being piped through stereo systems or on special governmental radio stations, in reassurance that 'everything will be fine, don't worry' and you're about there.

new old* cafe kaput library music mix: http://cafekaput.blogspot.com/2010/11/protect-survive-music-for-your-domestic.html

i'm thinking of modding this into a fallout new vegas radio station...

*jon made it in 2004.

Edited by kaini

• 2 weeks later...

'Sketches and Spells' is being reissued in the new year on vinyl

as much as i love all this vinyl reissuing (it is the right and natural media for ghost box, and always was!) i want NEW stuff.

Protect & Survive - Music For Your Domestic Nuclear Shelter

This is a shit-hot mix. Just had to say.

this and the new demdike stare will fill my lonely car ride back and forth to Connecticut this weekend much more pleasurable.

and i agree - i want new stuff, but the promise of new advisory circle AND new belbury poly makes me smile inside. and the new focus group + broadcast remix of gonjasufi is nice

been away from the ghostbox stuff for a while - last thing i heard from any of 'em was the broadcast/focus group record. i didn't like it that much at the time but i've recently reevaluated it and i'm really into it.

what's new and great in the world of ghostbox?

been away from the ghostbox stuff for a while - last thing i heard from any of 'em was the broadcast/focus group record. i didn't like it that much at the time but i've recently reevaluated it and i'm really into it.

what's new and great in the world of ghostbox?

a) you should subscribe to their newsletter.

b) LP releases of first two albums, then a new Advisory Circle album in the spring and a new Belbury Poly in the summer. though not explicitly stated (as far as i've seen, anyway) they appear to be distributing Moon Wiring Club releases now. More Studies Series in the new year as well.