IGNORED

2562 - Unbalance

Atop

listening to the promo. i like, but so far i prefer the first one.

don't say anything even remotely negative because that makes you a hater and a downer....

seriously though, for someone to be surprised at the lack of interest in a new album by a guy who basically perfected the fusion of techno/dubstep to change direction completely sounding like his friend Martyn is well pretty surprising!

i think it's a good album, it's just drastically different sound than his first one, and sound of his first one i prefer. I find it pretty remarkable that someone could call this criticism 'hating'.

listening to the promo. i like, but so far i prefer the first one.

don't say anything even remotely negative because that makes you a hater and a downer....

seriously though, for someone to be surprised at the lack of interest in a new album by a guy who basically perfected the fusion of techno/dubstep to change direction completely sounding like his friend Martyn is well pretty surprising!

i think it's a good album, it's just drastically different sound than his first one, and sound of his first one i prefer. I find it pretty remarkable that someone could call this criticism 'hating'.

i'm surprised you took that seriously, it was an exaggeration

don't worry, Awepittance gets his panties in a wad like I do...far too often (kidding Robbie, sort of)

but yes, this record is only getting better for me, don't see the Martyn vibe at all ('Great Lengths' is amazing but nothing like this record imo)

*must listen again*

:crazy:

but yes, this record is only getting better for me, don't see the Martyn vibe at all ('Great Lengths' is amazing but nothing like this record imo)

the only martyn comparison i was trying to make is that 2562 used to use strictly analog drum sounds and techno patches in all his music, he seems to have abandoned that sound palette completely in favor of a more breakbeat drum patch type sound, and to my ears the sounds only (not the composition or arrangement) remind me of martyn. surely you can hear that hes using a lot of different sounds this time around, at least i hope you can differentiate between samples and synth soudns

the only martyn comparison i was trying to make is that 2562 used to use strictly analog drum sounds and techno patches in all his music, he seems to have abandoned that sound palette completely in favor of a more breakbeat drum patch type sound, and to my ears the sounds only (not the composition or arrangement) remind me of martyn. surely you can hear that hes using a lot of different sounds this time around, at least i hope you can differentiate between samples and synth soudns

Wait, all the clips I've heard of the new record have 909s all over the place and shit. The first record is the one with the more real-sounding break-like drums. Is that what you mean?

Wait, all the clips I've heard of the new record have 909s all over the place and shit. The first record is the one with the more real-sounding break-like drums. Is that what you mean?

no, ariel was very technoy lots of 808 stuff and far more purely synthesis based drums(there is some breakbeatish stuff in there but its more buried). there may be 909 stuff all over the place in this new album (not much 909 bass drum), but remember the 909 uses a combination of samples & synthesis for it's hihats and snares. i didn't mean 'this new album uses no roland drum machines' i just meant that it uses far less technoy sounds than the previous lp. If you mean his 'a made up sound' LP then that one is very breakbeat oriented.

Restated and oversimplified - 2652 seems to have abandoned doing the straight forward fusion of minimalish techno/dubstep , which i personally miss.

the more i get into these discussions the more i realize the futility of trying to describe to make someone else understand my perception of an album.

anyways this is my favorite track so far, im loving this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPF4iUIrJN4

got this other day and loving it so far. Agree its a completly different sound for him but personaly am loving it and dont think it sounds like martyn particualy other than the fact he makes wicked next level dubstep type stuff as well! But yeah only heard this a few times so far but already think this will be one of my albums of the year.

no, ariel was very technoy lots of 808 stuff and far more purely synthesis based drums(there is some breakbeatish stuff in there but its more buried). there may be 909 stuff all over the place in this new album (not much 909 bass drum), but remember the 909 uses a combination of samples & synthesis for it's hihats and snares. i didn't mean 'this new album uses no roland drum machines' i just meant that it uses far less technoy sounds than the previous lp. If you mean his 'a made up sound' LP then that one is very breakbeat oriented.

Restated and oversimplified - 2652 seems to have abandoned doing the straight forward fusion of minimalish techno/dubstep , which i personally miss.

the more i get into these discussions the more i realize the futility of trying to describe to make someone else understand my perception of an album.

anyways this is my favorite track so far, im loving this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPF4iUIrJN4

Yeah, I dunno. I've only spun Aerial like maybe 6 or 7 times since I bought it, and never listening super-close to the production or anything, but nothing jumped out at me as being synthesized percussion. When I think synth perc I think of either CR-78, 808, or Aphex-circa-AB3-style sounds, not snappy kicks and snares. I guess some of the hats could be synthesized, maybe? Can you give me an example of where you're hearing synth percussion on that album?

Anyway I think the whole techno/dubstep crossover thing is a bit over-hyped, personally. The Headhunter album was pretty close, in that in addition to your BC-style stabs there was also some genuine mutated 4/4 in there, but Aerial remains pretty steppin' in terms of the beat construction, from what I can remember.

Also, it's weird to say he's getting LESS techno and at the same time using MORE 909, although I do know what you mean. ;) Would you recommend the A Made Up Sound album as well?

mostly just 808 bass drums or 808 like bassy sounds through out the album. i do think this album is much farther away from the minimal techno production he was doing on Ariel but it definitely still fits into the techno paradigm. the headhunter album was ok i just thought Ariel was a whole lot tighter and more stylish

I think I agree with you that Aerial is better than the Headhunter album. Maybe only just, though. I do enjoy the fact that there's a little more variety to the production on 'Nomad' though.

And, I haven't heard Unbalance yet, but I'm sure I'll end up buying it. I can't really resist anything on Tectonic at this point, although I am having trouble tracking down the 'Plates 2 2CD at a decent price.

I absolutely loved aerial, didnt know there was a new one.

Managed to see 2562 play at fabric ages ago, hardly anyone there, it was one of the best sets ive ever heard in my life. The kind of set where you dont know any of the tunes and want to know what ALL of them were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived