Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Quaristice/ Versions/ Quadrange EP
Week 10

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_ataraxy2_*

Guest_ataraxy2_*
  • Guests
  • 13 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

Listening now. The PLC is incredible.

#27 Xyrofen

Xyrofen

The vampires of IDM.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • 362 topics
  • Joined 29-July 09

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

Oh god yes! I'll post my fleshed out thoughts on all of this later when I can just sit down and listen to them each while writing.

#28 o00o

o00o

In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:56 AM

i think i've just let go of my attachment to Autechre always having to sound complicated. after the bar was set so high in complexity with Confield's insanely complex fragmented drum patterns and Draft's masterful bass drum fart melodies that the stuff afterwards (at least at first) left me wanting something deeper and more mysterious, a feeling i felt from draft and confield but didn't immediately get from untilted or quaristice. I also don't really see Quaristice as an Autechre returning to their back catalog type of project, i see it as possibly one of the most extreme changes in direction the have done. it took me a while to appreciate what they were setting out to do in Quaristice.

I did know that it took me some time to really like the last eps so I started to listen to quaristice for 3 month nonstop after it came out

then I went to autechre live and all made perfect sense

now it reminds me a lot of speedy j - a shocking hobby just in autechre style

its really pop music if you get the way they build up the beats

You also have to look at them shaking their head to their own liveact to really get into the autechre groove

Edited by o00o, 16 November 2009 - 04:57 AM.

#29 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,367 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

i'll be away all week, I'll give it a good listen while i'm up the coast. don't miss me too much watmm :biggrin:

#30 Obel

Obel

6 warning points

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts
  • 68 topics
  • Joined 17-April 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:35 AM

i think i've just let go of my attachment to Autechre always having to sound complicated. after the bar was set so high in complexity with Confield's insanely complex fragmented drum patterns and Draft's masterful bass drum fart melodies that the stuff afterwards (at least at first) left me wanting something deeper and more mysterious, a feeling i felt from draft and confield but didn't immediately get from untilted or quaristice. I also don't really see Quaristice as an Autechre returning to their back catalog type of project, i see it as possibly one of the most extreme changes in direction the have done. it took me a while to appreciate what they were setting out to do in Quaristice.

Hooray!

I adore Quaristice. Mmmm, luv luv luv.

#31 k h o v

k h o v

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • 166 topics
  • Joined 17-November 05

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:47 AM

its a great release & its always nice to hear variations/versions of those strong trax. i really like those remixes/kinda dub versions on the quadrange eps.

#32 Guest_theSun_*

Guest_theSun_*
  • Guests
  • 362 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

i feel like with quaristice, ae are clearly changing the way they make music, both conceptually and physically (gear). there are a lot of great moment on quaristice, but i find that a lot of the ideas, that may have sounded really cool or interesting in the studio are somewhat lost. the songs don't have the same production value as earlier releases, and i feel that the mixing makes a lot of parts far too muddy, and there are some nasty frequencies that i would assume would be EQ'd out (or down).

overall, it's one of their most interesting releases, and clearly their most raw. this album isn't good for the same reasons other ae albums are good in that they are complex, technical, perfectly EQ'd or thoughtfully arranged, but because we're seeing how sean and rob jam out together.

the whole album just reeks of informal, whereas every one of their other releases (ae lps+eps) strikes me as meticulous, convoluted and precise.

tkakanren is great, steels is a nice ambient percussionish intro for that song. outh9x is one of my fav ambient tracks ever, along with nofour. fol4 is also really awesome, it sticks to the beat moreso than fol3.

more later, but my basic conclusion is that ae are trying to do something totally different. untilted couldn't be any more precise, so they are trying a new direction. the next release will be the one that may define their short term future, for better or worse.

#33 Guest_Enter a new display name_*

Guest_Enter a new display name_*
  • Guests
  • 213 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

As I re-listen to "fol3", this track coincidentally reminds me of "Mutism" by Basic Channel (which is from '93-'95). Sean mentioned Basic Channel as excellent producers in BarcodeZine's interview from last year. This band might be one of Rob and Sean's influences, I don't know... Anyway I hear too many similarities.

[youtubehd]eixg32kZD1k[/youtubehd]

Edited by Enter a new display name, 16 November 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#34 Rhombix

Rhombix

Split Pan Genus

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • 28 topics
  • Joined 04-June 06
  • Interests:ebeorietemethhpiti

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

its really pop music if you get the way they build up the beats

I have this theory that by 2008, most of Ae's production had become so unbelievably complex and inhuman that they just decided to release "Pop Music" to protect the sanity of the human population.

You once described 2001 album Confield – a record that enraptured Thom Yorke, no less – as “pop music” compared to material you could have released. On the Autechre scale, how do you see Quaristice?
Both: Pop music!
Sean: Even more so.

there are some tracks that i just can't stand.. like bnc castl :rolleyes:

bnc castle. 100% with you on that one. so pissy sounding :(

I fucking love bnc Castl! It's perfect pandemonium killer robot stabbing chaos.

#35 Guest_Super lurker ultra V12_*

Guest_Super lurker ultra V12_*
  • Guests
  • 293 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

worst Ae ever

#36 Guest_theSun_*

Guest_theSun_*
  • Guests
  • 68 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

the bnc castl beat is cool but pretty ez to make

#37 o00o

o00o

In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts
  • 293 topics
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

worst Ae ever

no! :emotawesomepm9:

#38 thehauntingsoul

thehauntingsoul

Cardboard and duct tape

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 28 topics
  • Joined 16-April 08
  • XBOX360:TheHauntingSoul

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just wanted to say that 'The PlclcPc' is way better than 'The Plc'

Also on the topic of improper mixing, really there are only a few occasions I notice this. The plc has a stupidly overdriven bass drum that sounds muddy and awful unless you have a flawless sound system. Usually in my car I need to crank the bass down by 2/3. On my headphones it sounds fine, but I think it's just that the dynamic range here is wider (and more specifically deeper) than most sound systems can handle. Also FwZe is really the only time I've been irritated by a mixing job that Ae has done, and it's really because the wooshes and swishes are just waay too loud in the mix and it either means constantly readjusting your volume during the track, or either letting your ear drums take a severe beating or just listening to the track at a low volume.

and also while we are on the topic of eardrums taking a severe beating, I have my suspicions that Ae are masterminding a plan to make us all deaf by systematically inserting noises scientifically designed to incur hearing loss. Examples:

Ipacial Section has a very high pitched whining tone consistently throughout that is almost impossible to hear but once you notice it, its almost impossible not to hear.

SonDEremawe has that really loud sine wave

Fwze has the loud wooshing as I already discussed

There are many more but I would need to do some serious research to make a complete list.

Edited by thehauntingsoul, 16 November 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#39 Dr Clitterhaus

Dr Clitterhaus

Clitterhaus = Ratings

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 11-March 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

I adore Quaristice. Mmmm, luv luv luv.

Foetus, please grow into a man.

#40 John Ehrlichman

John Ehrlichman

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

i think you might need to get some new speakers, the sounds on all the songs you listed are not that abrasive

#41 Guest_theSun_*

Guest_theSun_*
  • Guests
  • 213 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

eh they can be. my ears are apparently more sensitive to highfrequency percussion like that on ipacial section, uviol, netlon sentinel. but i can tolerate most everything except uviol.

there's not much of that on quaristice, just really muddy parts at times.

#42 k h o v

k h o v

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 17-November 05

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

i think you might need to get some new speakers, the sounds on all the songs you listed are not that abrasive

#43 John Ehrlichman

John Ehrlichman

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

so far no one in here has mentioned that Quaristice is the first album that Sean and Rob say they collaborated in real-time together and even jamming together on. Most of their previous work was a distant form of tape and sound file sharing, they even state that songs on previous albums might be solo tracks by either member.

#44 Dr Clitterhaus

Dr Clitterhaus

Clitterhaus = Ratings

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Joined 11-March 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

I hope thats the drink talkin.
Just sober up and return to reality.

#45 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,367 posts
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

i feel like with quaristice, ae are clearly changing the way they make music, both conceptually and physically (gear). there are a lot of great moment on quaristice, but i find that a lot of the ideas, that may have sounded really cool or interesting in the studio are somewhat lost. the songs don't have the same production value as earlier releases, and i feel that the mixing makes a lot of parts far too muddy, and there are some nasty frequencies that i would assume would be EQ'd out (or down).

overall, it's one of their most interesting releases, and clearly their most raw. this album isn't good for the same reasons other ae albums are good in that they are complex, technical, perfectly EQ'd or thoughtfully arranged, but because we're seeing how sean and rob jam out together.

the whole album just reeks of informal, whereas every one of their other releases (ae lps+eps) strikes me as meticulous, convoluted and precise.

tkakanren is great, steels is a nice ambient percussionish intro for that song. outh9x is one of my fav ambient tracks ever, along with nofour. fol4 is also really awesome, it sticks to the beat moreso than fol3.

more later, but my basic conclusion is that ae are trying to do something totally different. draft couldn't be any more precise, so they are trying a new direction. the next release will be the one that may define their short term future, for better or worse.

fixed

#46 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,612 posts
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

songs on previous albums might be solo tracks by either member.

i'd love to know which ones were solo tracks, just to understand what kind of sound each member is known for. though i have a feeling that their individual sounds are pretty close these days, something i like to refer to as 'genesis syndrome' - where you start writing like the other members in the band after long enough, and vice versa.

#47 thehauntingsoul

thehauntingsoul

Cardboard and duct tape

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 16-April 08
  • XBOX360:TheHauntingSoul

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

yeah I definitely do need new speakers. The PLC sounds fine on my headphones though, crisp and clear and great bass, the mix sounds fine but in a car the bass in that track tends to make the whole body rattle and shit and it buzzes like crazy so I have to turn it way down. Maybe my bass speakers are blown though...

I will defend my claim against FwzE though because I know it's not my speakers, I've heard it on 4 different audio sources and it sounds the same. The whishy high-end noises are way too loud in the mix compared to the bass IMO and I tend to crank it up so I can hear the bass and everything else a little better but the FwzE noises fuck my ears right up. That aside I don't think I have any complaints about the mixing of the album, mainly I meant to indicate to others that If you feel the same way about Quari being shittily mixed you might just not have a good sound system, like I said the PLC will sound especially terrible if you don't have a decent sub

oh and modey: I'm pretty sure it was discovered on the boards here some time ago that Pule was just one of them, can't remember who though but for some reason I'm thinking Sean. I agree though it would be awesome to know which is which. To expand on that I think it would be brilliant if Sean and Rob put Ae on hiatus for a year so they could each release a solo album. It would be awesome to hear the separate styles and then later to go back and feel out which person did which track. Obviously they would have to resume Ae afterwards though, if they permanently broke up it would be a tragedy

Edited by thehauntingsoul, 16 November 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#48 Guest_extherium_*

Guest_extherium_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

Just have to give some love to rale.

One of the best ae openings.

#49 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,612 posts
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Just wanted to say that 'The PlclcPc' is way better than 'The Plc'

agreed. was listening to versions today, it has some really great moments. the plc just annoys me, the changes are too jarring imo.

#50 Overand

Overand

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 04-May 08

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:16 AM

the changes are too jarring.

The Boards of Canada forum is over there -------->