IGNORED

The Piezo (Amber) high frequency sine wave

Just ripped my good old Amber album to flac. Played it back on foobar2000->Soundblaster xfi...

After 13 seconds, I remember, there was that nice high frequency sine wave, much higher than in Ventolin, I'd say far beyond 10000Hz, maybe 15000.

I'm not hearing it! It must have been escaped from my Amber CD! Or the sad truth is, my ears are 37 years old and Houston, we have a problem. I definitely need to check other gear, but likely I cannot hear such high freqs any more...

Do you?

Oh, thank you, sweetheart. Yeah I'm currently on the "Good old IDM times" trip and listening to my youth, hehe. I cannot do anything, I have to talk/write about that things. Well, what you see on www.twitter.com/classical59192 is what I basically listen to...

I just checked, I remembered correctly. It's very well visible e.g. in foobar2000's spectrum, somewhere at 14000Hz.

piezo.png

Specifically in humans, we have a maximum aural range of 12 Hz under ideal laboratory conditions[1] to 20,000 Hz in some individuals, but the range shrinks during our lifetime, usually beginning at around the age of 8 with the higher frequencies fading.

post-5056-125986918788.gif

I'm 22 and can't hear it either. Even after high pass filtering it in audacity. But I just did some tests and my ears start failing at 18khz. Which seems normal to me.

In "Acrid Avid Jam Shred" at the end where Aphex is going wild with the wide open portamento lead, he hits 3 or 4 notes probably at the top of the synth's capacity. I can't hear those anymore. When I heard it at 15, it did my head in. Now, I just "know" that there are high frequencies happening but I wouldn't have sensed them on my own.

That's why I stay the fuck away from Raster-Noton. I know it's cutting edge shit but all it does is cut my speakers and my cochlea. I don't have enough left to be getting into musical sadomasochism

this is all very disturbing. And I just started listening to that shit too (Raster-Noton). I'm scared to put on Acrid Avid now, in fear I won't hear those pitches. Shit.

I've had a similar problem since I went to a Merzbow gig in London. Now everywhere I go the plants wilt and people fall off their bikes.

i'm 36, have been to hundreds of gigs and hundreds of clubs at high volumes without earplugs.

i can still hear the 'mosquito' that they installed in my local train station to prevent kids hanging around and er... hanging around or something.

i just always feel pity for my two-year-old, because she must hear it twice as well as me, and it drives me fucking violent batshit.

i used to be able to hear all the melodies from Boards of Canada's Magic Window....but now all i hear is silence :(

I actually laughed at this, well played.

As for the thread:

I can hear that high pitched noise in Piezo. I've not really noticed it before, but once I focused in on it, it kind of annoyed me. Doesn't detract from the song at all though.

Second Bad Vibel, I can hear it on there too.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred, at the end, I can hear those really high notes too.

Those mosquito ring tones annoy me. I hate walking into a room and being able to hear that a TV is on through my headphones with music going too. I guess I'll dislike that I can't hear it once it gets to that point. I'm seventeen, by the way. I best enjoy high pitches while I still can.

Guest Arctandem

Low end 90s digital equipment had crappy DAC's (or something). Most Amber tracks have the ring, about 15,665Hz.

Anyone with a spectrum analyser can find this.

I thought everyone knew this.

i'll keep that in mind next time my grandma remarks on an aphex/ae song. she's called a few tracks things like "so pretty" "nice sounding" and "what are those sounds?", it's kind of funny to think she may not be hearing the whole thing.

she's 86

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Just had a quick listen, I think I'm still not missing anything.

I have to agree with xxx, but Raster-Noton releases some great music.

Low end 90s digital equipment had crappy DAC's (or something). Most Amber tracks have the ring, about 15,665Hz.

Anyone with a spectrum analyser can find this.

I thought everyone knew this.

hi sean/rob

• 1 month later...
Guest Spittal

Second Bad Vibel...

now all I can hear is the high pitched tone. :sad:

I did a freq analysis, looks like it's just moving slowly between 18000hz and 18300hz...

ow, my ears.

The thing is that the drums mask a hell of a lot of the top end. I can vaguely make out the frequency only when it's the ambient ending section (around 7 minutes) and it's more like I can 'sense' it than hear it.

I've had a similar problem since I went to a Merzbow gig in London. Now everywhere I go the plants wilt and people fall off their bikes.

lol

and yeah this thread is depressing.

we can never be young again. we're all slowly dying. :(

Archived