IGNORED

I miss the old DMX Krew :(

Rubin Farr

man, he was at the top of his game lampooning old 80s stuff like Stevie V, Lisa Lisa, even El De Barge or The Jets. his tales of love on the dance floor, sympathy for gay prostitutes, even shout outs to jesus were classically catchy and funny as shit. listening to the full version of Wave Funk, the tracks seems to drone from one to the other and almost sound the same after a while. don't get me wrong, i like the more dry sound he is working with now, but throw us a bone Ed, and bring back your pimpin' ways!

I've prefered his post Wave Function stuff to be honest, more interesting textures, synth sounds and melodies that the earlier electro pastiches, which were often funny and enjoyable, but didn't bear up to much repeated listening. I find his newer stuff from the past 5 years to have more depth. Tho I imagine Chris Moss is gonna massively disagree with this view.

it all started with mpc trax imo. i had been listening to his melodic electro (dmx krew, computor rockers, bass potato etc.) for years, then edmx - mpc trax volume 1 came out, and even though i think they're awesome ep's now (1 and 7 especially) i was quite disappointed when i first heard them. pretty much the same goes with alot of his recent stuff (though wave funk is ace).

personnally i think he's at the top of his art in a way similar to legowelt. still you can't deny the influence afx had on his more recent stuff

Legowelt was on the top of his game 7-10 years ago, he's struggling now to put out tracks as creative, funky and catchy as his old material were.

As for Ed, he definitely went with the analord/tuss route for the Rephlex stuff.

Legowelt was on the top of his game 7-10 years ago, he's struggling now to put out tracks as creative, funky and catchy as his old material were.

well, that's just like, your opinion, man

I think it was a conscious decision to get away from that sound... which he had more than mastered anyway at that point. The new stuff can be less funky and palatable but why call that "struggling" if it's in fact what he's going for.

As for DMX Krew, I've yet to warm up to Wave Funk but it still retains some of that delicious 80s flavour I think.

Guest cult fiction

As for Ed, he definitely went with the analord/tuss route for the Rephlex stuff.

Not just the Rephlex stuff... Bongard Problems, SH101 Triggers MS10, and to a lesser extent Snow Cub were very similar in sound to Wave Funk and were released on Breakin'.

i actually like brian e more than dmx krew. the only track that probably still sticks with me is the aphex twin remix of you can't hide your love.

well, that's just like, your opinion, man

I think it was a conscious decision to get away from that sound... which he had more than mastered anyway at that point. The new stuff can be less funky and palatable but why call that "struggling" if it's in fact what he's going for.

As for DMX Krew, I've yet to warm up to Wave Funk but it still retains some of that delicious 80s flavour I think.

Yeah I didn't except him to continue doing the electro/italo stuff forever but I don't really find his recent soundtracks or ambient tracks that great. Legowelt pretty much ran out of interesting themes. Even when he tries to revisit his old italo sound he really doesn't make disco stompers like he used to, pretty much just makes tracks for other synth enthusiasts like himself.

I haven't, reminds me somewhat of Beyond the Congo which is one of my favs, nice stuff specially that track Hippo Aviation.

One track I'm waiting for him to release for ages is this one

http://www.xs4all.nl/~awolfe/highestoftheskies.mp3

It's an old one and he said it was going to be released on the next EP but then nothing :((((

i actually like brian e more than dmx krew.

i can agree with this, brian E imo blows away anybody i've heard trying to do modern italio disco stuff. that legowelt track posted above is pretty cool, i should check out more of his stuff

Archived