IGNORED

Karl Pilkington

Boxing Day

Guest Mirezzi

The episode of The Ricky Gervais Show from last week, where Stephen talks about being on holiday and trying to piss in the ocean was absolutely LOLorific.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pilky is a genius. I don't know how I lived without him either.

I have over 80 hours of audio from the original XFM Radio Show. Pure comedy gold, nothing less.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

whats with the weird animated dvd of the podcast thing? why do we need the visuals? i guess they can charge more for a dvd than a cd

whats with the weird animated dvd of the podcast thing? why do we need the visuals? i guess they can charge more for a dvd than a cd

this is what we get on hbo here, the animated series of the podcast (i guess? i didn't know there was a podcast). the visuals usually add a lot to the already funny situations.

Guest bitroast

i've listened to the podcasts many times. big big big big fan ! ^_^

i watched a few episodes of the show, but felt the visuals were a bit distracting. still though, it's probably alot easier to get into an animated tv show than the audio only podcasts. it can be a bit awkward trying to work how to listen to the things :) the animated show + an idiot abroad (actually, mostly just an idiot abroad) have definitely increased karl pilkingtons popularity, and that's fine by me ! : )

also, sorry if this was posted earlier.

second season of Idiot Abroad is in the talks + another series of podcasts for 2011.

It doesn't happen all the time*, but Ricky and Stephen usually respond to Karl's observations and say what you're almost thinking yourself but not quite getting there until they point it out. Like when Karl was talking about the kid who was adopted and he said 'he was weird he was, he chased cars'..it's not immediately funny until Ricky about 10 seconds later can't contain his laughter and says 'what kind of kid chases cars..' and it makes you picture it in your head and it suddenly becomes much funnier. Or when Karl is on holiday and Stephen is reading stuff from Karl's diary, and he's talking about trying to save flies from falling into the pool or something, they go 'Karl, this is really really weird'.

*like when Karl said something about swapping his body with his doctor's so they could both get a taste of what it's like to be eachother, because you don't know whether you're truly happy or sad or not because you just get used to how you are; ie, you have to measure up the good with the bad, was I thought true but they found it ridiculous. Or when Karl said obviously the brain is in your head because if it was in your foot it'd take ages to send signals.

One of the funniest things I think he said was when they were talking about if you could have anything as a kid what would it be, and they kept pushing him and getting a bit annoyed because he wouldn't answer. He just said 'well, nothing ever lives up to what you want it to be'. Then he said 'for my name to be Bret' and Ricky bursts into laughter and says 'no one could have expected that! Oh God that's amazing'.

Or when Karl is likening autism as a disability to Cyclops having only one eye. Or when Karl talks about his film idea that he pitched to producers (apparently), and as his male lead actor mentions someone who doesn't exist.'Who the fuck is Clive Warren?'.

I don't find his stuff funny in quotes or written down though, the above would only be funny if you replay it in your head.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i agree with the person who said rickys laughing makes karl funnier. an idiot abroad had no feedback and it was kind of odd. maybe i've seen too many shows with laughter tracks and need to be told when to guffaw i dunno

did we already talk about gervais at the golden globes?

• 1 year later...

could be awesome, but im not so sure about turning karl into a character, since he seems to play his usual self pretty much, which is all good, but gets kinda weird in a fictional setting.

could be awesome, but im not so sure about turning karl into a character, since he seems to play his usual self pretty much, which is all good, but gets kinda weird in a fictional setting.

yes. at the same time, this looks far better than the miniseries about the dwarf.

Caught a bit of "An Idiot Abroad" marathon they did on The Science Channel here in the States on Sunday - at first I thought this guy was truly clueless, but the more I watched it, the more it seemed like an act.

Archived