IGNORED

One Synth to Rule Them All

wahrk

Guest iamabe

BTW- one synth to rule them all:

080812_bob_moog_voyager.jpg

bilbo.jpg

I once met a girl with last name Baggins. The first thing I said was "Like Bilbo Baggins?". She hates me.

oh yeah, thread. I like Massive because it's pretty and I like looking at it, which is an important factor if I am stuck on a desert island staring at one thing all the time. Plus it sounds half decent.

Vaz Modular

..as it has the best sounding filters & oscillators, audio-rate modulates to anything, and hosts vstfx as modules.

I haven't used Vaz Modular for years, but yes it was great, don't see why it wouldn't still be. The fact it must be pushing a decade old must mean it has a pretty small cpu footprint by now as well.

Vaz Modular

..as it has the best sounding filters & oscillators, audio-rate modulates to anything, and hosts vstfx as modules.

if it was on Mac too this would be mine, it's hard for me to choose considering some of my favorite software synthesizers crash like dale earnhardt like Reaktor

The most amazing vst synth I've ever used was Arturia's cs80v.

I tried to get in to reaktor but never got the hang of it, so I stuck with cs80v until I started collecting hardware.

Guest hahathhat

if i had to pick a hardware synth, it'd be the sh101. not the most flexible out there, only a monosynth, but if i had to use one synth to do everything i'd really be happiest with it.....

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'd have to say Vaz Modular as well. I'm glad there was already mention of it! Hands down great sounding and versatile. There's a few "amazing sounding" synths such as imposcar that I would miss, but Vaz Modular wins for versatility if I could only have one. Not only that but running live audio through it turns it into a whole new beast. Not to mention that you can use vst fx inside the actual synth and it has a great mixer. People can knock me if they want, but I've never liked reaktor. I love NI and have komplete, but just don't care for reaktor.

Anyway, vaz has:

Awesome:

Filters, modules, fx

Sequencer

Mixer

vst fx use

routing

live audio

samples/wavetables or samples as wavetables (same thing really)

fancy voice allocation (well most vsts these days have it)

Also it's multitimrabral so you can have a bunch of "synths" inside a performance going.

And honestly, even though it's a "dated" softsynth, it still sounds great and with the 3.03 update some years ago (adding the korg and roland filter emus) it has always been one of the most "analog sounding soft synths. But that's not even really what I would be using it for.

I didn't read this whole thread.... but if I had to choose a synth to cover the most forms of synthesis I'd pick:

Alchemy or Omnisphere

zeta+ is massive but very cumbersome to edit. ableton's operator is my current favourite, you can get alot of twisted stuff out of it.

Guest disparaissant

soft - reaktor. im not too good with it, but if its all i had to work with, im sure i'd get better.

hard - i've always lusted after a jupiter 8, but in reality i'd go with something modular.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want versatility from one device, then it pretty much has to be either modular or a sampler. Whether it's a plug-in or a physical thing you can touch, and which exact product you use, are entirely up to you. I've been getting into Thor (although it isn't technically a plug-in), mostly because of its noise generator and the fact it's never crashed on me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

tried out Vaz Modular quite a bit early today because of this thread, bout to dive into Reaktor tomorrow, I cant wait. I love reason but its nice to have some new synths at my disposal. Vaz really does seem to have a great analog sound. I really want to get more insanely futuristic sounding unbelievable mega impressive synth sounds now hoping Reaktor can really drop some wicked hi tech sounds.

Archived