IGNORED

the end of the world

vamos scorcho

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

i believe this. i just watched "into the universe" on the discovery channel, it really got me thinking about this stufffffffffffff right now.

i don't think it's ridiculous to say that within (most all of our) lifetimes we are going to see an entirely new dimension of reality that absolutely nobody before us in the history of the earth has seen

but not in the way that the internet is entirely new - just that there is going to be a widespread spiritual awakening - it's weird

just food for thought, spreading it to those who haven't seen this link and shit

this thread . is terrible but check out that link

you guys say it's bs, i say it seems very valid. provide a link that makes this link bs.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the album "the horribly sad story of the hideous end of the world" by gangpol und mit sums up the reality of the situation very well.

i bet if you were to talk to those artists they would say they believed in the idea of the singularity. maybe not.

there must be someone, or some group that is taking this idea seriously and is prepared to deal with the realities of our future.

hey Vamos I recommend you read the book "Accelerando" by Charles Stross. It is for free download, somewhere....aummm....actually right here:

http://manybooks.net/titles/strosscother05accelerando-txt.html

It will be like mental ice cream for you right now...

∆∆∆∆∆

I was recently having a discussion centered around "what will you do when you are a demigod able to manipulate your own personal universe?" and I said I want to be a blackout drunk for the rest of time.

wow this look awesome. thank you.

i think i would be peaking on speed for eternity, or something

actually once you get to that point pleasure would be a lowly, earthling concept and boredom would not exist

i don't really know

I don't see why the concept of the singularity is taken as the 'end of the world'. The only thing that is ending is the period of time in which the rate of change wasn't fast enough to seem apparent to most people. I also personally find the idea that there is some profound positivity to the whole process as rather limited.

I stress that I would like to be a blackout drunk for the rest of eternity as a philosophical treatise on the actuality of living eternally as a disembodied consciousness. I truly believe that given the power to manifest any possible scenario I could imagine in my own virtual realm of wonders, I would still burn out eventually and wallow in (virtual) alcoholically-induced coma until I was truly refreshed and ready to build new empires. I mean that. Being conscious is taxing.

Guest cardan

when i'm a demigod (i'm almost there) and will be able to manipulate my experienced reality, i'm gonna have it so the moment somebody does something i would think is wrong, stupid, unnecessary, everything will literally go in pause for them and they'll have a mental replay over and over again till they get what they just did... i'd be 6'2, 240lb barrel chested dude with eagle wings, cool glasses and hat and facial hair and some good shoes, nobody would know to mask their emotions so that would make things more interesting, and i'd be in a psychadelic lynyrd skynyrd cover band and we'll do 30-minute-long funky spaced out groovalicious versions of their best songs, i'd have the ability to produce any food or drink item instantly and obviously nothing fucked up would ever happen on the planet again

and we'd all have bitchin lazer eyes and the only kind of music would be good music or bad music that's funny, yknow...

and the only birth names people can choose from are BEETHOVEN, HANNIBAL, ADIDAS, and JESUS

that people have been saying "the end of the world is coming" for a long time

the second one. there hasn't really been any substantial scientific proof that points in that direction. (except global warming I guess)

I understand that in some of these situations science falls short of explaining spirituality and similar abstract notions however.

Cuban Missile Crisis

I know thats probably a bit out of context, but that was a pretty close call. We are also currently heading towards global over population (human population is exponential too I think?) combined with more volatile weather = low food supplies. Also all this zombie culture in the mindspace is bound to manifest in reality sooner of later. (I kid I kid)

Anyway, I skimmed the article, and you probably tl;dr but I didn't see anything about the "end of the world" as in armageddon and shit, but I guess there are parallels to T2 and skynet etc. Humans create intelligence greater than their's - intelligence realize humans are threat to planet - intelligence launches dem nukes/builds war machines.

Anyway, I am a believer as far as in 25 years I reckon life expectancy and technology will be pretty fucking cool. Bring on the digital drugs. I don't see the T2 stuff playing out, and I suspect the next 2 generations in fundamentalist nations will have too much information available to remain any sort of threat. Fixing the worlds economic/greed problems would go a long way too and the internet may end up being the leveler for that.

I'd be happy with talking dogs or eternal puppies though. (no source on that sorry)

what i mean when i say the singularity is the end of the world is:

that the singularity is the end of the world as we know it, and as we have known it for our entire human existence

it's definitely not a law, just a theory, but it makes good sense in many ways. i'm not believing it so much that i'm going to go move out into the countryside to save myself, just speculating. i do think it will be something amazing when the world truly spins out of control.

also i've joined several artificial intelligence emailing lists and whatnot to try and lock myself in for a position in the whole computer attached to brain thing, when it rolls around. i'm going to keep working my way up the ladder

The World will end 50 years after Betty White releases the first ever GILF video. As a result of that video the 18-29 year old demographic will masturbate to old grandmas (70-99) , causing a extreme changes in our cultural , social behavior , also struggle in human reproduction. More and more youngsters will only fuck old people (because is the fad) , and we all know old people CAN'T have kids , so yeah , thank to Betty White dirty old cock-hungry vagina , out civilization and species as we know it , will end.

All of that is explain by this graph : vaginadialogues_graph.gif

Awesome read, thanks!

I just doubt man kinds ability to responsibly handle such powerful technology. Not saying it won't come into existence.... But as long as humans have control over it, we risk emotional, vengeful, greedy uses, and because of that, I do believe it will spell the end of the world/humans.

vamos you'll find people have been saying things like that for a long, long time.

yea but now people are saying it faster and faster

Anyway, I skimmed the article, and you probably tl;dr but I didn't see anything about the "end of the world" as in armageddon and shit, but I guess there are parallels to T2 and skynet etc. Humans create intelligence greater than their's - intelligence realize humans are threat to planet - intelligence launches dem nukes/builds war machines.

You have to admit through that this is a fallacy which Hollywood perpetuates. There has to be a programmer - if the programmer loads a propensity for a machine to become aberrant or corrupt - IT WILL HAPPEN. Machines with intelligence don't just kill people, they have to be given that propensity. It's all about what goes into the development stages of such technology. I do agree however that science and machines are a tool - and they can be used for the benefit of society, or the opposite. Sadly, because of the profit driven system we live in, with the need for nuclear weapons due to insecurities and the constant take overs we see of sovereign lands for resource grabs (Iraq [oil], Afghanistan [opium]), we're bound to see technology used for corrupt purposes. What we need is a social system which is not based around corruption.

Awesome read, thanks!

I just doubt man kinds ability to responsibly handle such powerful technology. Not saying it won't come into existence.... But as long as humans have control over it, we risk emotional, vengeful, greedy uses, and because of that, I do believe it will spell the end of the world/humans.

Humans are not inherently greedy - depends on the social environment and culture at the time of said technology.. Hopefully, we'll wake up and realise we can use science to benefit everyone on the planet.

humans have to be inherently greedy or we'd never have survived

A scarce environment creates greedy behaviour. Now that we have the technological tools and scientific ability to provide for everyone, there's no need to still be living in scarcity. You can not prove, at all, that humans are inherently greedy. Please show me evidence of this to support your disposition and I'll have a look.

humans have to be inherently greedy or we'd never have survived

A scarce environment creates greedy behaviour. Now that we have the technological tools and scientific ability to provide for everyone, there's no need to still be living in scarcity. You can not prove, at all, that humans are inherently greedy. Please show me evidence of this to support your disposition and I'll have a look.

contract negotiations in professional sports and hollywood movies say otherwise

Archived