IGNORED

doom metal

kokoon

here i am, listening to Austerity's demo and it's just awesome. the album is maybe even better as a whole, but the ambient part with those distorted pads in the demo's first track just blows my mind.

khanate, monarch, earth, auaesuve, sleep, om, sunn o)))... and of course, black sabbath!

now let's find the slowest riff! i'll start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgtN_zmkYo&a=e2bQe4frPkw

is doom metal slower stone metal???

not so far from truth - a lot of it is (sleep, om, ...), but there are some other flavors of doom metal. like more depressive stuff (khanate, monarch, ...), and even more depressive/morbid subgenre of funeral doom metal.

[youtubehd]VStV07s-Bk0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GZbp-RGODPI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]i2VnIGfwzL0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gg5J0BsYP5U[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]vUlnhDxMCI0[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]RYoFrNCme6Y[/youtubehd]

If you can track down any stuff by Asva (Futurists Against the Ocean, or even better, What You Don't Know is Frontier), get it. Asva includes members of Sunn O))), Burning Witch, and Secret Chiefs 3 (eg, George Stuart Dahlquist, Trey Spruance(!), etc).

It's pretty great stuff, with a diverse tonal/instrumental palette.

This clip isn't even the full track (edit: and whoever put all that work into the animation ends up just looping it for the duration of the audio), but it's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShW-Zr_U38

Edited by baph

Guest Greg Reason

The Melvins played the slowest thing I've ever heard at their Geek Show performance back in '04. It as a beautiful thing to behold.

Sunn O))) were great the first time they played, had the extended line-up with Pan Sonic and Oren Ambarchi on electronics. That was well wicked but you can't really call them "slow" because they don't have a pulse. Melvins slowed down to infinity but kept playing the beat, albeit with monstrously long bars.

Cult of Luna pull a real nice mid-riff deceleration on the title track of Eternal Kingdom. But I guess that sort of doom slipperiness was well cataloged by Neurosis many a year ago.

If you can track down any stuff by Asva (Futurists Against the Ocean, or even better, What You Don't Know is Frontier), get it. Asva includes members of Sunn O))), Burning Witch, and Secret Chiefs 3 (eg, George Stuart Dahlquist, Trey Spruance(!), etc).

Yeah that's mad, Trey plays tubular bells :rhubear1:

yeah, i forgot to mention Asva and Nadja - i love both!

Dan C - thanks for these, great sounds - i'll dig deeper!

Electric Wizard - wow!!! good stuff!!!