IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

no simarillion stuff as far as i'm aware - most of that comes way before The Hobbit mythos, like thousands of years before. there has been talk of a silmarillion movie at some point though, or at least a movie based on one of the stories contained therein. probably wouldn't happen for years though, if at all.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's so much cool stuff in the silmarillon - ungoliant, morgoth vs fingolfin, fëanor, flight of the noldor, crossing of the helcaraxë, first appearance of galadriël, glaurung the dragon and the whole hurin/turin story, fall of gondolin, ancalagon the black, númenor, gil-galad and the last alliance of elves and men... bloody loads!

I shamelessly just want to be immersed in the visuals of the world and to enjoy some great special effects. If I want characterization, I'll just read the book and fill it in proper with my mind.

Side note: Instead of writing 'shamelessly,' I began to typo 'shemales' ... :/

RVyP9.gif

the whole hurin/turin story,

After reading The Children of Hurin, I actually thought it was the perfect length to make a movie out of, and has a linear enough narrative to not confuse the people who seem to think Tolkien is confusing (people can't handle lots of names, apparently). It's rather grim as well...it could easily make for a dope film that isn't as twee as LOTR.

But, it's a perfect story to be destroyed by Hollywood. A badass character, action, romance (they'd change it so it's not his sister), cheesy filmography. I'm hating it already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hehe,

Im excited for the visuals and hopefully I can see it in 3D 48fps because I hear they are pulling back on the 48fps and only doing select theaters. Which sounds really lame but maybe it doesn't look as good as they hoped?

hehe,

Im excited for the visuals and hopefully I can see it in 3D 48fps because I hear they are pulling back on the 48fps and only doing select theaters. Which sounds really lame but maybe it doesn't look as good as they hoped?

People were complaining about the 48 fps at screenings. As expected people said it looked like a soap opera.

hehe,

People were complaining about the 48 fps at screenings. As expected people said it looked like a soap opera.

Some were, it was also not graded footage so that might explain the soap opera aspect... regardless I am eager to see what 3D looks like at higher frame rates... our vision certainly doesn't process at 24fps 2D.

higher frame rates in 2D do look odd because the lack of motion blur. The lack of depth makes it seem flat and dull or less cinematic:

3D in cinemas doesn't break up the framerate, so each eye gets 24fps. The problem with 3D is that the low framerate and the ugly motionblur feel very fake. If they would pump the framerate up to something like 120fps they will barely need motion blur anymore. You will still see things blurry in action scenes, but that effect happens inside your eyes and is the same as you experience everyday. So high framerate will reduce another headache factor.

So when something pans across the screen quickly in 3D, even if you focus your eyes solely on that object/person/etc it will appear blurry around the edges and its movement won't be as defined as it would be in reality. But if you increase the frame rate, you would see that object with more clarity and the surrounding elements would be more blurry (peripheral vision).. adding that level of depth changes the way one could compose action. I suspect that the added layer of depth and clarity would make for the possibility of having a few different focal points on the screen... because the viewer won't be able to process all the information on their first viewing. So perhaps it is too overwhelming but I suspect that has more to do with traditional composition and editing structures that don't suit what should be wider shots and longer cuts for 48fps 3D.

I want to see this but I'm afraid I will be fucking angry afterwards. So, I don't know whether to go or not.

I felt the same with Prometheus.

Generally over the past decade, about 80% of movies I have been looking forward too have sucked ass.

Every now and then something turns out great though. Hope this is one of them.

And even rarer is it that something turns out brilliant that had not even been on my radar.

I want to see this but I'm afraid I will be fucking angry afterwards. So, I don't know whether to go or not.

I felt the same with Prometheus.

My boss just gave me an assignment: Watch Prometheus again.

:(

Anyway, I watched The Grey yesterday. Man, I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. I was really surprised by it. I liked how the wolves were being kept in the background, almost like you would do with a monster in a monster movie, and I actually think they looked pretty good even though they were CGi.

The ending ruined the movie for me. It went straight from a 9/10 to a 6/10.

I was really looking forward to seeing Liam Neeson battle it out with an alpha wolf but then... nothing. NOTHING!? WHAT?!

Archived